PDA

View Full Version : Harbor Freight propane bottle refiller?

HangFireW8
07-19-2011, 10:25 PM
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has tried this, and how well it works:

http://www.harborfreight.com/propane-bottle-refill-kit-45989.html

In particular does the OPD valve cause a problem.

While I've had good luck finding propane soldering bottles at yard sales, the supply is not reliable enough to commit to buying a camp stove that uses small propane bottles (and I'm NOT going to pay store prices). I already have the big bottles for the gas grill, but they're not handy to do small work with.

Yes I'm aware of the transportation law.

-HF

Ole
07-19-2011, 10:33 PM
I've filled my propane bottles probably 30-40 times with mine and no problems.

The OPD valve presents no problems.
Put the bottle you're filling in the freezer.
Don't "overfill it" too much if you're not going to use it right away. It will over-pressurize and leak if it gets warm while it's over full.

I fill mine by weight. (digital postal scale) Put a label on each bottle what they weigh empty, full, and over full. You can easily get an extra 6 or 7 oz over rated filling capacity if you freeze the bottle before filling. If it's over full, use it right away or make sure it stays cold.

leadman
07-19-2011, 10:39 PM
Not hard to find a hose to go from the large bottle to the propane campstove. The campstoves have a small regulator built in to the valve you attach the small bottle to.

HangFireW8
07-20-2011, 07:46 PM
Thanks, think I'll get one.

maglvr
07-23-2011, 02:57 AM
Should work great, just remember your bulk tank has to be upside down ;)
I made my refill adapter from old parts I had lying around, has been working for 13 years now, and I do all my cooking on a single burner stove. Some bottles are mighty old, at least 10 years and have been filled 50 or more times.
I also use them to smelt as well as heat my small shop in winter.
Parts I used were from a old 2 burner propane stove and the end off a old gas grill, 20lb. tank hose.
Ain't real purty, but works like a charm and was 100% FREE ;)

http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/dd325/maglvr/propantadapter.jpg

Johnch
07-23-2011, 08:30 AM
I agree it works
I refill one for the lantern almost every week , if I have time to camp

Just remember
It is against some Fed law to take your refilled bottles acrost a state line

John

nanuk
07-23-2011, 09:28 AM
Should work great, just remember your bulk tank has to be upside down ;)
I made my refill adapter from old parts I had lying around, has been working for 13 years now, and I do all my cooking on a single burner stove. Some bottles are mighty old, at least 10 years and have been filled 50 or more times.
I also use them to smelt as well as heat my small shop in winter.
Parts I used were from a old 2 burner propane stove and the end off a old gas grill, 20lb. tank hose.
Ain't real purty, but works like a charm and was 100% FREE ;)

http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/dd325/maglvr/propantadapter.jpg

maglvr: how do you vent your small bottle during filling?
I lay mine on the side, and make sure the vent is "Up" and then start filling, and open the vent. When it starts spitting liquid, I let the vent close, and shut off the main valve. remove the small bottle and start using it

I fill mine at camp often, and there is no way to freeze the bottles.

zomby woof
07-24-2011, 09:24 AM
I have several bottles. I fill mine in the winter. I bring the 20lb tank in the house to warm up, leave the bottles outside. Works great.

Bad Water Bill
07-25-2011, 09:50 PM
Back in 1971 I started refilling my 1# bottles. When they are full I put some water on the top and look for bubbles. If there are any, hook that bottle to your lantern or stove. When empty I discard the bottle rather than trying to clean the valve assby. Much safer and cheaper.

maglvr
07-26-2011, 04:21 AM
I have never vented the bottles. Don't even know how!

maglvr
07-26-2011, 04:25 AM
I have several bottles. I fill mine in the winter. I bring the 20lb tank in the house to warm up, leave the bottles outside. Works great.

I do the same in winter, bring in the big one to warm up some and leave the lil ones cold outside. Works perfect!
Then in summer I reverse the rotation, bring the lil ones in to the freezer or frige and leave the big one outside in the warm.

evan price
07-26-2011, 05:08 AM
The good old 1#'ers had vent valves in 'em just like the big tanks do. Now they don't, and haven't for years, because they don't want them refilled.

shotman
07-26-2011, 11:18 AM
keep a cap on the bottles so the valve dont get rust in it tape will work.

HangFireW8
07-26-2011, 08:06 PM
The good old 1#'ers had vent valves in 'em just like the big tanks do. Now they don't, and haven't for years, because they don't want them refilled.

Silly me has thrown away a good many of these over the years... but I've been picking them up again at yard sales, so all is not lost.

Bad Water Bill
07-26-2011, 10:15 PM
In the old days the bottles had 2 valves that could be replaced when the valve stem went bad. I have 3 of them and they still work.

The new bottles still have 2 valves BUT you can only change the one in the center top position. When I refill the new ones I put a curved hemostat on the side one and pull it up. Some propane gas will escape till I get liquid propane coming out of the side. Release the hemostats and turn off the bulk bottle.

Works every time.[smilie=w:

edsmith
07-29-2011, 02:10 PM
I would think the transportation law is for commerical refillers. a leo of any agency checking your lp bottle is about 1,000,000,000,000,000 to 1. what about removing the tag from a pillow, you going to prision for doing so? :drinks:

lwknight
08-04-2011, 02:07 AM
The 1 pound bottles/tanks are easy to vent. There is a pressure relief valve that resembles a valve stem core. You need needle nose pliers to pull out on the tip a vent. Also the vent often does not close fully so you have to lightly tap the core pin to seat the valve.

I got a regular POL for the bulk tank and put a 1/4" flare connector on the 1/4" pipe thread end. Then on the propane can fitting , I soldered a 1/4" flare connector. Any standard refrigerant hose will hook the 2 together. I went 1 step farther and used an in-line valve for refrigerant hoses to make it easier operate a valve without having to reach under the upside down tank.

For venting its like Nanuk said. Lay the bottle on its side vent up. Once it starts spitting liquid , you are 80% full.

leadman
08-04-2011, 10:21 AM
I keep a couple #1 bottles in the storage cabinet on the outside of my motorhome for use with the grill.

Didn't like the smell of propane that would be present when I opened it so I bought 2 brass caps with gaskets in them from Cabela's that screw on to the top of the bottles. Work real good, no more smell.

Bad Water Bill
08-04-2011, 01:07 PM
Do you have the stock # on those brass caps? I hope with fingers crossed.

Typecaster
08-04-2011, 04:00 PM
Manchester Tank has come out with a refillable 1#—designed to be refilled for the new propane-fueled string trimmers, etc. Don't know about the price, though.

http://www.mantank.com/green/refillable.htm

Richard

lwknight
08-05-2011, 02:30 AM
It must be a conspiracy to sell the $3.00 plus 16.4 oz cylinders.
I checked every dealer link on mantank.com and could not find anyone listing refillable cylinders except 1 and you had to be a dealer to even get a price.

I have been refilling my disposable bottles for years and it is a pita. I finally decided to get bulk connections for everything that I could.

I would buy the refillable 1 pound cylinders if I could ever find someone that would sell me one.

Ziptar
08-12-2011, 06:28 PM
The Harbor Freight August Sale flyer was in my mailbox yesterday, I just finished flipping through it.

There''s a coupon in it for $8.00 off the propane bottle re-filler regular price of $19.99.

I can scan it and post it here if anyone wants it.

leadman
08-12-2011, 11:56 PM
The Cabela's brass caps for the one pound bottles are 1K-530087. Made by Mr. Heater so may be available at other sporting goods stores. Price is $5.99.