PDA

View Full Version : A range box

gunnut14
07-19-2011, 06:37 PM
I saw them at the BP shoot I went to.
It looks like an old fashioned carpenters tool box but has notches on the top for your gun and cleaning rods.
I have tried search but being computer challenged it amounts to" garbage in garbage out".
If anyone knows where to find prints or drawings for one please let me know.

gunnut14

RayinNH
07-19-2011, 09:02 PM
Here's one for you,

http://www.cal-graf.com/rangeb.html

No plans but if you have the woodworking skills to make one you should be able to do with the given dimensions...Ray

Baron von Trollwhack
07-19-2011, 09:16 PM
Visit americanlongrifles.org and ask in the accouterments forum. There are quite a variety, from elaborate to simple.

BvT

13Echo
07-26-2011, 03:27 PM
Paul Matthews shows one in one of his books on black powder cartridge rifles. It's just a simple box, screwed and glued together with a large diameter dowel between the raised end pieces for a handle. The end pieces are high enough to be cut out to fit the action at one end and the barrel at the other with the cutouts lined with some kind of padding like leather or felt. A box about 10" wide with 6" sides and 12" tall end pieces works. Length sufficient to hold your shooting kit, 18" or a bit longer works. Size the box to match the rifle and the gear you want to carry and your preferences. The dimensions given aren't critical. The action cutout should fit the sides fairly closely and should have a cut in the bottom to fit the trigger guard or the lowered action lever. That will much more securely hold the rifle .

When I built mine I made all the measurments on the Sharps and drew out the rough plans then drew them again on butcher paper full size (I have a roll of butcher paper I got at Sams just for drawings and plans). Made cutout templates in cardboard to check the fit on the action and started cutting wood. Don't forget to make a cutout on the end pieces to hold the cleaning rod. I used screws and wood glue and plugged the screwholes with dowels and finished the box with urethane. Made out of plain old pine most of which I found at a local house building site (I'm cheap) and it works just fine.

Jerry Liles

ggb3
07-27-2011, 02:30 PM
Hi Gunnut,
The man that makes the cabin tree lead hardness tester has some listed on his site. He states he is not currently making them, however, will be again soon. They look nice and as well made as his lead hardness tester. (Many here think highly of it).

http://www.castingstuff.com/cabinetree_wood_products.htm

George