PDA

View Full Version : New lead supply!

Freightman
07-19-2011, 12:22 PM
I have been digging lead out of the berms at the range, not to hard and it is profitable. Well the treasurer was at the range yesterday and i know he and another member dug out the lead in the indoor range at great expense had to rent a front end loader and buy 10 yards of sand. That was about a year ago and I got a 55 gal barrel of the scrap, so I ask if I could clean out the indoor range every other month and he said how? I will use a ax and a seed fork and sift the sand I told him. His answer was knock yourself out and it will save the range some money. There is no jacketed bullets allowed only cast so there will be no problem with the mixture.

Stick_man
07-19-2011, 04:26 PM
Always nice to find a new source of lead, even if it requires a little work to get it.

Congrats on the find!

melloairman
07-19-2011, 09:47 PM
When I clean our indoor trap . I take a pry bar and hammer . Set the bar under the lead wedged into the sand and tap it into the sand under the lead toward the back stop . Then pry up and it lefts the lead out in big sheets away from the back stop . Quick and easy . It does not disturb the sand bottom . Marvin
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn55/melloroadman/IMG_6696A.jpg

mongo
07-19-2011, 10:07 PM
I guess I am lucky, The range I go to the backstop is angled up and the bullets slide up and rattle around the top plates, then slide down into a bunch of long metal cans that line the bottom, No sand..Dump right into my smelting pot

Armorer
07-19-2011, 10:35 PM
Ya'll are killin me with the free and cheap lead..lol Congrats on the hookup Freightman!

4719dave
07-24-2011, 08:12 PM
nice score

imashooter2
07-24-2011, 08:59 PM
I guess I am lucky, The range I go to the backstop is angled up and the bullets slide up and rattle around the top plates, then slide down into a bunch of long metal cans that line the bottom, No sand..Dump right into my smelting pot

Same with the stuff I get. One place oils the plates though. That stuff is a pain to smelt. I have to burn a 1/4 inch of oil from the melt surface before I can pour.

mongo
07-25-2011, 02:46 AM
My range puts old motor oil on the backstop also.Just sling the stuff all over the back plates, I dont understand why...As I scoop the jackets and crud off the top , it looks like im sending smoke signals as smoke pours out of the pot..lol

MikeS
07-26-2011, 11:34 PM
They probably put the motor oil on to keep the plates from rusting. At least that's probably their thinking. I would look at it as free flux! :)