PDA

View Full Version : so i got this mold

adrians
07-19-2011, 07:41 AM
good morning ,
i got this mold of flea-bay yesterday and i,m curious to know if anyone has/is using it in their 30 cals ?
the seller saiid it "probably drops a 110--115 grn and the buffalo lyman chart confirms that , as for dia i haven't a clue till i cast some.
the drive bands look funny to me ,the top one IIRC is a "scraper groove" don't know where i got that from (i could be wrong) ,anyway does anyone know anything about this puppy ?
i have a couple of .308's ans a win 30-30 ,,,,it might make a decent powder puff plinker . any info would be awsome.
yall have a great day :evil::coffeecom:twisted:

Bret4207
07-19-2011, 07:50 AM
My memory says that was designed for the 32 S+W Long/32-20 type cartridges. The front groove is for crimping and if not mangled too badly would work as a scraper. I shoot similar boolits, don't recall that particular # being in my collection though. Were it me, I'd start with maybe 3.0 Bullseye in a 30-30 case or maybe 5.0 Unique and start there. I've used 10 gr Unique behind a similar GC design and it's moving out around 1600 fps. You might well be able to develop a short range load that just makes a "tooomp!" sound and drops them in leetle teeny groups, lots of fun and very nice on small game.

When you get in the Lyman numbers under 300 (last 3 digits) you're dealing with some early designs, back when Lyman would cut and catalog any off the wall idea that seemed even remotely workable. That's part of why some designs don't have a crimp groove that looks like we're used to. You get back under 100 and there are some real odd balls.

adrians
07-19-2011, 07:03 PM
thanks bret,
i'll try unique as i have it at hand and see what it can do in my winny.
i think playing with this design is gonna be "oh so much fun' and light on my lead stockpile.:evil:[smilie=w::evil:

Bret4207
07-20-2011, 07:53 AM
You might look into "cats sneeze" loads. Those little fellers are fun and work like an overgrown 22LR.

Be alert for alignment issues. I'm developing into a believer in alignment being a far larger problem than previously thought. A short boolit in a relatively long neck can easily get cockeyed.

Tim357
07-20-2011, 01:32 PM
Makes a durn good "gopher getter" for .308 and '06 with Unique or Blue Dot for fuel

adrians
07-20-2011, 04:59 PM
thanks guys, i cast a few up last night and using plain ole WW(nothing remarkable) and with my limited mic skills this is what they sized at,,,,:bigsmyl2:

as you can see the top band is .318 +/- . bottom is right on .311.
now do i run it through my .311 sizer die or just load as is ? and how deep would you seat these babies?.:evil::coffee::twisted:
my 30cals all like .311's.

onondaga
07-21-2011, 12:04 AM
That .318 is not likely to chamber easily. For me, I'd tumble lube, size .311 and tumble lube 2 more times.

If the chamber throat is long enough I would seat them so the case mouth rim is midway on the first band up from the bottom and crimp .004-.006" there with a Lee FCD.

Gary

Dale53
07-21-2011, 12:51 AM
Some German Schuetzen rifles were made similar to this. They are called "stop ring" bullets.

The bullet is seated in the case until the "stop ring" contacts the case mouth.

This is for rifles with large throats (some are kind of like a funnel, for want of a better description). The bullets actually shoot rather well, I am told. The cases are not resized and the bullets are seated by hand.

FWIW
Dale53

9.3X62AL
07-21-2011, 01:07 AM
Interesting critter. Did its as-cast weight turn out to be in the 115-120 grain ballpark?

Maybe it's a plain based prehistoric Soup Can--AKA, The "PBPSC". Looks like some fun in the 30rifles, for sure.

Bret4207
07-21-2011, 07:40 AM
I would try a load and see if it chambers. If so, I'd see how it shoots.

adrians
07-21-2011, 08:40 PM
I would try a load and see if it chambers. If so, I'd see how it shoots.

this is going to be my first ,,,,
then i think i'll take gary's suggestions and try that,
my chamber casts show my older military throats//leads are rather looooong ,so with this little deal will " jump" play a negative roll? i.e seating too deep?
pardon my nievety but this is the smallest rifle boolit i have played with to date.
i bet i have fun though.
breach seating would be another option,, thanks dale.
i only have the rest of my life to play with this boolit so i better get going.[smilie=w:
thanks guy's please feel free to add info at will:grin:
have a great night , :evil::lol::evil:

Bret4207
07-22-2011, 08:17 AM
I don't know if the "jump" will be a problem or not. I shoot little 85-90 gr. .311 boolits in things like the 91 Argentine and '06 with no problem. I think alignment is going to play more of a part than the jump, but it's a "try it and see" situation.

Rangefinder
07-22-2011, 10:12 AM
That ought to make a fun little plinker load. I too have an "ultra-light" that works wonderfully for local 4-legged pests. I use a 93gr. Lee sized at .311 for my AK over 4gr. Red Dot to discretely dispatch skunks here. It might take a little playing to get it dialed right and running well, but you shouldn't have much trouble getting that to run well.

gnoahhh
07-22-2011, 12:43 PM
I would try the thumb seating trick, as-cast, first. If they work like that then all you need for a day of plinking is a couple of empty cases, a sack full of bullets, a can of powder w/ a dip measure, and primers (and de- and re-capper).

adrians
07-22-2011, 06:43 PM
Interesting critter. Did its as-cast weight turn out to be in the 115-120 grain ballpark?

Maybe it's a plain based prehistoric Soup Can--AKA, The "PBPSC". Looks like some fun in the 30rifles, for sure.

this mold drops them a circa 110 grn,
the thumb seating way is also on the list of to do's,
now powder ,, i have not got much in the way of pistol powder except w 231 and ramshot silhouette ,but i have a few pounds of various rifle powders .
with not much (if any) data printed for this boolit .
considering it's a 110 grn what powder would be suitable for cats sneeze loads ?
yall suggest some powder and i'll see if i have any and then "let the games begin".
i'm exited with this project, can you tell[smilie=l:
have a wonderfull weekend and shoot safe.
adrian:twisted::cast_boolits::evil:

Bret4207
07-22-2011, 07:38 PM
What powders do you have access to?

adrians
07-22-2011, 10:11 PM
What powders do you have access to?

well Bret i have in various quantities.....

unique
trailboss
re-7
imr4198
imr4064
imr3031
H4895
varget
blc-2.
i guess you could call me a propellant collector,,, nah i just like tinkering with diff powders :evil::bigsmyl2::evil:

Bret4207
07-23-2011, 08:54 AM
I'd start with 7-8 gr Unique in the 30-30 and be prepared to work DOWN. Might start at 5-6 gr. In the 308 9-10 gr Unique and work down if needed. If you want to use 2400 then up the load by 2 gr. and make sure you have decent neck tension as 2400 often needs some crimp to get good ignition with light boolits. Trailboss I have never used, but it might work well. I've read it's so bulky you can pretty much fill the case and not have issues. I wouldn't take that as gospel. I'd go to the cowboy action section of the manufactuers website and see what they say.

I would stay away from small loads of the slower powders, 4198 might be an option and R7 too, but that plain base is going to limit you to somewhere in the 14-1500 fps area, maybe less. Ignition may be a problem with the slower powders and there's the SEE to consider too.

FWIW- 10gr 2400 in the 30-30 with a similar gas checked boolit gets me around 1600 fps IIRC. 14.0 2400 in the 308 sends them out nearly 1800 fps. Just for reference.

Ben
07-23-2011, 09:02 AM
Adrians,

I've been experimenting with a similar situation. Might be worth looking at this link :

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=110863

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=116150

adrians
07-23-2011, 09:39 AM
thanks for your link ben ,it's got tons of info and i will be saving it for future ref.
i didn't think about international clays ( it does,nt cross my mind when thinking rifle) but i now need some to try,:bigsmyl2:.
have you or anybody else had any success with 5744 this is also on my powder list,for what reason i have'nt fathomed yet ,
your load with clays sounds interesting and something to "play with".
so much to do ,,so little time,
have a great day:evil::violin::twisted:\
ben what lube are you using?