PDA

View Full Version : KelTec PF-9

casterofboolits
07-18-2011, 09:27 PM
Any one have any experience with the KelTec PF-9 9mm pocket pistol.

My brother bought one for his wife last week and as the family gun guru he shanghied me to go along to the gun shop to look at it.

Actually looks to be a pretty nice little auto. We went back to my house and field stripped and lubed it up. I ran a Q- tip over all the edges and machined areas and not a single strand of cotton was snaged. I was impressed by the maching and the quality of the injection molded frame. I may have to buy one for my self. $219.00, which is more than a C note less than MSRP.

The double action only trigger was light and smooth.

I haven't shot it yet as they went out of town for the weekend and they were going to try it out on the farm they take care of.

The only fly in the ointment is that my standard 9mm reload doesn't fit the chamber very well as it appears to be a tight chamber.

fecmech
07-18-2011, 10:29 PM
I have one of their P3AT's. trigger broke at rd #23 and sent it back on their dime. Since it came back I'm over 500 rds without a hiccup! I'm more than satisfied and were I to buy a compact 9 I would not hesitate for a second to buy a Keltec.

2ndAmendmentNut
07-18-2011, 10:58 PM
I have shot a friends, nice little pistol, accurate, reliable, handles all sorts of ammo. The owner of the pistol has put quite a few rounds through it without an issue.

lead-1
07-19-2011, 04:39 AM
I have one of the P-11's and am quite happy with it. I took it out this past weekend for my son and a neighbor kid to shoot, they were conplaining that it wouldn't hit anything so I put ten rounds in the target to change their minds.
It really like the LEE 356-120-TC boolit.

lead-1
07-19-2011, 04:55 AM
The only fly in the ointment is that my standard 9mm reload doesn't fit the chamber very well as it appears to be a tight chamber.

The load that worked best in my KelTec uses the LEE 356-120-TC boolit seated to 1.060 depth. I had several fail to feeds on every mag until I seated the boolit deeper and I believe it was because of it having a tight camber. JMHO.

casterofboolits
07-19-2011, 07:44 AM
The load that worked best in my KelTec uses the LEE 356-120-TC boolit seated to 1.060 depth. I had several fail to feeds on every mag until I seated the boolit deeper and I believe it was because of it having a tight camber. JMHO.

Lead-1

I think a TC boolit may be the answer for this little auto. I normally load an H&G #275 09-125-SWCBB sized .357 over a medium charge of BlueDot and it works fine in my Hi-Powers, EAA Witness, a friends TZ-75, HiPoint carbine and a S&W M&P.

I found one round loaded with an H&G #309 09-125-TCPB With a shorter OAL and it fit the chamber of the PT-9 perfectly. When this heat wave ends, I'll break out this mould and cast a few to try.

Normally the #309 sized .357 is used by a buddy for his Glock 17. He has almost 30,000 thru his standard Glock barrel with out a problem.

I used to have a casting business and have not sold my moulds off yet, so I have a large selection of 9mm moulds to play with. Including Saeco 09-122-RNBB (drops 125 in my alloy), Lyman 130 and 135 TCPB (no longer offered) and 09-147-RFBB (don't think I'll try this one tho).

Looks like I'll have one of these little pistols by the end of the week. We checked out the PF-11 too, but the PT-9 had a much better trigger.

A new pistol is always an adventure and I'm looking forward to the challange.[smilie=w:[smilie=w:

GabbyM
07-19-2011, 08:27 AM

I’d not call that a tight chamber I’d call it a proper SAMI or NATO chamber. Oversized 9mm chambers and bores may be so common as to be the norm but that doesn’t make it right. Our Kel-Tech 380 acp P3AT has a proper sized bore diameter. Good little shooter.

Don't have the Lee 120 TC but have the Saeco #377 and have run lots of the old Hornady 124-fmj-tc. I run a S&W 659 and before that a S&W 39-2. Both have properly cut chambers and bore diameters.

Lengths much over 1.060” would run the bullets front band up into the throat. My S&W’s will fit a .356” bullet up the throat but not a .357” bullet. Hornady list 1.040” C.O.L. for there old 124-fmj-fp. That length holds the bullet back from the throat for reliable feeding in a dirty gun. I’ve run a couple thousand of them at 1.100” which is still off the rifling but up in the throat.

With the 122gr TC Saeco #377 at a COL of 1.050” bullet seating depth is the same as the Lyman #356402 seated at 1.100”. With a little liberty taken you could use the Lyman data for the Saeco 122-tc loaded to 1.050" length.

casterofboolits
07-19-2011, 10:14 AM
GabbyM,

Don't have the Saeco #377, but have a six cavity H&G #309 09-125-TCPB and this is what I plan on starting with. The Lyman data (Cast Bullet Hand Book, Third Edition) is where I started loading for the nine in 1986.

Once I buy the pistol and start load development for both PF-9s, I'll report the results here.

bobthenailer
07-19-2011, 10:21 AM
The 2 that i shot that friends had bought and were fairley new, had IMO very heavy & long trigger pulls . on the border line of unshootable ! nothing even close to as good as there 380s, I have one.

S.R.Custom
07-19-2011, 10:50 AM
I like mine. I ordered the optional belt clip, and it's my primary carry piece *everywhere*. It's also a natural companion for long hikes or bike rides where you really don't want to carry a heavier gun.

Tolerancing is pretty generous, so accuracy is a close-range thing. Keeping a whole magazine on paper at 25 yards is a challenge. And the build quality is such that I'm hesitant to put thousands of rounds through it. It's reliable, though, and it's ultra-light weight makes it the go-to gun for CC. And the adjustable sights are a really nice touch on a gun this size.

The biggest complaint I have (had) was that silly rail on the bottom. I milled it off. Makes the gun even more pocketable.

Digger
07-19-2011, 12:34 PM
Have both the P-11 and the Older P-40 , Love em both as I have been using Miha's mold in the hp .359 sized down for the little nine (as you can see in my avatar ) and the other 155 gr Hp of his for the forty ... working sweet so far ..
digger

casterofboolits
07-19-2011, 12:57 PM
The one my brother bought had a very smooth and light double action pull. As good as any of my 38S S&W hand guns with worked over actions. The light action is what made the pistol stand out to me.

Seven to ten yards distance is the range I'll be testing at. After all, it is basicly a short range pocket pistol for up close and personal. My SIL had some of her bicep/tricep removed during a masectomy and a light trigger pull was a major consideration.

I look at the PT-9 as a pistol to be carried a lot and shot just enough to stay familar with it. Pehaps fifty rounds or less per month. This was my regiman with a Star PD that I let a good budy talk me out of. It's a pistol that's good for summer carry when it's hard to conceal my 45 ACP Combat Commander.

I plan on gettting the belt clip for it too.

Buddy
07-19-2011, 01:12 PM
I gave my PF-9 to dear old dad a few years ago. I actually took my CCW class with this pistol in '07. After the shooting portion of the class the instructor actually commented on how well it shot for a short barreled 9. Mine would shoot 4" @ 25yds after a little load development. It's light and easy to conceal. I would definately buy one over some of the other compact 9's on the market beause of the warranty and manufactured in the USA.

leftiye
07-19-2011, 09:27 PM
So, do youse guys load these Kel Tec 9s down? Mine actually started hurting my hands after 2 mags of Golden Sabers - 125 grs +P (felt like it was trying to rip the skin off of my palms - I know, I'm a wimp). Couldn't hit anything, I mean nothing, either. I went and got some Hornady 90 grain XTPs and loaded them moderately with 700X.

casterofboolits
07-19-2011, 09:45 PM
Just spoke with my brother and he is very happy with the performance of the PF-9. He and the SIL shot a standard Bullseye target at about 15 to 18 yards with some 115 grain hardball. After a few rounds they both were putting the rounds in the black. In fact, the SIL out shot my brother! [smilie=l: They are both happy with the little Kel Tec.

I'm going tomorrow afternoon and picking one up for myself. :bigsmyl2:

Groo
07-20-2011, 01:26 PM
Groo here
My dad has one as do some of my friends..
They all use standard pressure rounds not +p,,, The difference in performance
between the two in short barrels does not justify the extra kick..
No Problems At All...

hiram1
07-20-2011, 03:41 PM
i love mine it shoots well

casterofboolits
07-21-2011, 07:32 AM
Groo here
My dad has one as do some of my friends..
They all use standard pressure rounds not +p,,, The difference in performance
between the two in short barrels does not justify the extra kick..
No Problems At All...

Yup! That's my plan too. I just think the +P's do better in longer barrels. Possiably less muzzle flash with the standard pressure rounds.

My brother brought his first target over for me to look at last night. A Birchwood Casey 12" X 12" with an eight inch bull and a 1" red dot in the center. They each fired seven rounds at the target set up at 15 to 18 yards and both put thier first round in the white then each put the remaining six in the black. The SIL put two in the red!

These are not gun people and probably not fired more than six rounds out of my brother's Charter Arms .22 Pathfinder in the last 15 years. The double action on the PF-9 is much better than the Pathfinder's.

I'm picking mine up this afternoon and hope it's as good as thier's.

casterofboolits
07-22-2011, 02:41 PM
Bad day at Blackrock. :groner:

Took the new PF-9 apart to clean and lube it. Big suprise! Looks like it was rifeled with a chisel!

Taking it back to the gun shop tomorrow! :sad:

casterofboolits
07-23-2011, 12:30 PM
Every darn PF-9 in the gun shop has what I would term a "sewer barrel" and shooting lead in them looks to be a real bad experience!

I'm going to try fire lapping with a half dozen rounds to see what happens. :groner: