PDA

View Full Version : Did a dang foolish thing today

shdwlkr
07-18-2011, 08:44 PM
Went in to see how my custom 256 win mag is coming along and ended up laying away a marlin model 62 in 256 win mag and with low serial numbers to boot. Dang I hate when a caliber grabs a hold of me and I can't seem to get it out of my mind.
Both are levers the custom one is on an action built around the time my dad was born so it is special to me and on an old winchester 92 action to boot.
Now I have to hope the world doesn't go to heck in an hand cart before I can get both home.

crazy mark
07-18-2011, 09:53 PM
Now find a T/C in 256 win mag. Of course there is the Ruger single shot also.

shdwlkr
07-18-2011, 10:01 PM
nope don't like the twist on the TC contender to fast for me and the hawkeyes are too expensive for me. My smith is to blame for all this as a friend walked into his shop and had one for sale and he knew I was a sucker for the rifle and he was right.

Bret4207
07-19-2011, 07:58 AM
My Dad had a fondness for the 256. Always seemed like a nice small game/varmint cartridge to me, an overgrown 25/20. Best of luck!

shdwlkr
07-19-2011, 10:46 AM
Bret
that is kind of what got me interested in the cartridge a long time ago but at that time I could not find one, so I found an action and thought now I can build my own, then my smith died and I put it on the back burner, then I ended up moving 3 times and again I forgot about it and then my divorce came up and when packing my stuff I came across that action again and the idea started again first smith did nothing the second smith is willing to work on it as I get funds and then he calls and says he has this nice marlin in 256 win mag and I go and look at it and it is in good shape at a fair price and you know the rest of the story will take me most of the rest of this year to get both paid for and home but next year should be a fun year indeed if we are still a free country by then that allows private citizens to have firearms even.
I lived and worked in your state for 55 years before saying enough was enough and left. I almost bought a farm in your area almost 20 years ago now as I had a job offer up there and would have done it but I could see the writing on the walls that things were going to get much worse there and it was not the place for me to be. So 8 years ago I left went to Florida to hot then to Utah and then to New Mexico and then to Idaho should have come here first I like the mountains and the weather when my arthritis isn't acting up and also the people are just so nice and you can even talk firearms to the police and they will talk to you about them and even shake your hand when they have to get back to work.

part_timer
07-20-2011, 09:23 PM
I like the 256 also. We own a marlin 62 (wife took it away from me) A lined marlin 1894 and a 10" contender. I was thinking that the new ruger bolt 357 would make a fun 256 also, but the cost is a bit high just to turn around and line it.

Ed in North Texas
07-20-2011, 09:48 PM
Bret

snip
I lived and worked in your state for 55 years before saying enough was enough and left. I almost bought a farm in your area almost 20 years ago now as I had a job offer up there and would have done it but I could see the writing on the walls that things were going to get much worse there and it was not the place for me to be. snip

I have to admit I'm spending time on the lake a few miles south of the Thousand Islands. Pretty warm right now, but still cooler than Texas - and they have rain here! Took me a bit to remember what it was (well, maybe a little overstatement).

Beautiful country up here, but I knew what was what when someone said to me "You mean you don't need a permit to buy a handgun in Texas?" They also had a problem with comprehension when I said we could have a handgun in our vehicle, as long as the handgun is concealed. We aren't perfect (we still need to get a Concealed Handgun License in order to carry a concealed handgun), but it is getting better than when "Ma" Richards was vetoing concealed carry bills and making nasty comments about Bush 41.

shdwlkr
07-21-2011, 10:30 AM
Ed
I liked the seasons there and you know I have found the same thing here where I am now and they also don't think talking firearms is a dirty subject.
Also here you can still find a place that is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out there and no one will come and bother you either.
Hope my next move is to the back country and there I can live what is left of my life in peace.

william iorg
07-21-2011, 09:32 PM
I have a Model 62 I enjoy shooting I am posting on the thread so when you get your rifle out and start loading and shooting I’ll be on the notification. I’ll enjoy talking about the cartridge and rifle.

shdwlkr
07-21-2011, 11:09 PM
great
I will have two of them to compare a marlin and my custom built should be some interesting discussions
I know you from another site, you are a wealth of information thanks for responding
it will be this fall sometime when I get them both so it will be a few months yet before I can begin playing

william iorg
07-22-2011, 10:15 AM
I’ll be waiting to read about your shooting.
I am a small game hunter and enjoy shooting the 25-20, 32-20, 256WM and the 32 H&R Mag rifles.
The only other regular user of the 256WM I know is Greg Mushial from GMDR,

http://www.gmdr.com/

Go to the additional data link under the Oregon Trail data link for 256WM cast bullet data.
Greg had a custom Marlin with a chamber of correct dimensions for his Marlin and he shot some small groups with his rifle. I was frustrated for high velocity loading due to the oversize chamber on my Marlin but for lower velocity cast bullet shooting the Marlin Model 62 will deliver good accuracy.
I like the 247420 and the 257283 Lyman bullets for the smaller .25’s. The 85-grain 257283 have a good wide base band and it delivers good accuracy in the micro-groove barrel.
Your results from your custom chamber will be what I am watching for. I have considered having my barrel set back 1” and a chamber of proper dimensions cut for it. I don’t need high velocity so I have resisted.

shdwlkr
07-22-2011, 12:54 PM
William
I have a 32-20 and that is one reason I went with the 256 win mag so I wouldn't confuse 25-20 cases for 32-20 cases could be real bummer if I did it with a loaded round in the wrong rifle.
I am not looking for a super speed round with the 256 win more of fun one.
the action and the barrel are together now i have to make some dummy rounds for my smith to work with he is using some live rounds that came with the marlin that I put on layaway but not the best when putting an old action together and wanting things to work right.
thanks for the link.
I have a layman 65 gr mold, NOE 80 gr, lee 80 gr. molds for it and looking for an 85 gr mold as that is as large as I can see me going with the little 256 but then I do have 100, 115, 120 gr molds in that size to play with if the mood does come along and if they will fit into the action and case and still leave powder room. But I never intended for this to be a big bullet round so most likely will stay at 85 grains and less.
Went to the link and found nothing on the 256 win but did see the 32-20, is it gone from the site or is my computer playing games with me?

cobroller
07-24-2011, 11:11 PM
Dad had a model 62 that was his pickup and tractor gun. We all loved it. The factory 60 grain OPE would turn a groundhog into a bowl of jelly, and usually didn't have an exit wound. It killed lots of varmints over the years as well as a few deer and some steers.
My experience with reloads was not good, however. Lots of chamber issues.