PDA

View Full Version : buying now?

beladran
07-18-2011, 05:26 PM
due to eco laws and shady administration would you guys take the chance and start stockpiling ww and lead?

this OLD scrap yard here has about 3000+ lbs of lead and WW for .50lb i am thinking with current trends i need to go ahead and stop trying to get free WW from tire shops and spend some cash with these people.. There is actually a group going around to tire shops giving $75 a bucket for ww and old tire stems

Gtek
07-18-2011, 05:34 PM
I was told 71 cents a pound last time down here in FL. I am grabbing all I can, right or wrong. Gtek

NoZombies
07-18-2011, 05:38 PM
If I had the money, I would buy all of that 3k pounds. it's not getting significantly cheaper or easier to get.

BSkerj
07-18-2011, 05:41 PM
I think the chart on top of this forum topic should answer your question...as I type this it is sitting at almost 1.24 a pound. I started stockpiling a couple of years ago when lead was going for alot less. Glad I did.
By the way.. to the moderators...thanks for the chart, I check it a couple times a day.

beladran
07-18-2011, 05:47 PM
thanks guys that kinda what i was thinking. I am trying to get a group buy together with some of my MS friends

mold maker
07-18-2011, 06:03 PM
I've advocated stock piling lead for quiet a few years. I've been called a hoarder, and told I was just making it hard for others.
Do I care????? Heck No, I get what I can, just in case I live longer than the Dr. says. What does he know, He is 30 years my Jr. Most of my family made 85-103 years. If I make it that long, it's gonna take a lot of lead.

Ole
07-18-2011, 10:44 PM
I started casting in Feb of '09 and my first priority was to stockpile a lifetime's worth of shooting lead. I even sold some ammo to fund my lead stockpile but I amassed a fairly decent stash in fairly short order.

Lead, even if you have to pay $1/lb, is a heck of a lot cheaper then buying bullets.

Good luck.

Sieveboy
07-19-2011, 10:51 AM
I think there is very low risk in stockpiling durable commodities in today's economy. You will always be able to liquidate it if you need the cash (and most likely at a profit or minor loss - you certainly won't loose your shirt on it). Plus you will be secure as the onslaught against Pb continues on all fronts pushed by environmentalists and the nanny state.

Jamesconn
07-19-2011, 11:43 AM
well im trying by best to start my stockpile as im only 16 and should hopefully life for quite awhile longer but I need to hurry up and start casting cause I want to go to the range really bad

Jon
07-19-2011, 12:25 PM
I'd stock up as much as you can. I know I am.

johnho
07-23-2011, 08:09 PM
All that lead won't be much good unless you have a good supply of powder and primers too. I think I have enough lead now for my remaining years and now am loading up on the other stuff. And that does get expensive but worth it.

If this guy gets elected again watch for controling ammunition along with powder and primer sales to come back. As I remember it was talked about many years ago I think by the Clinton administration but not sure about that. It didn't go anywhere then but I suspect times are a changin'. Let's see what he does with that UN **** too.

Get all the powder and primers you can get now. If he doesn't get elected then it is still money in the bank and you can sell it to others if you need the money. I am not optimistic on this guy getting defeated.

Ervin
07-24-2011, 08:00 PM
My junk yard is charging .50 a # for lead. It is a mixture of anything you can imagine, but always worth the price. He asked what I used it for and I said fishing stuff. He blew it off and approved the price. No one here is asking him about ww. I gave him a sob story about I was paying 25 cents but have had to reduce it to 22 cents because of all the steel and zink ww showing up. He accepted it without question. Am I evil or just a good trader. You would not belive the steel clips I saved. I will sell them back to him @ 11 cents a lb. Good luck hunting. It is still out there. People are getting desperate for money and small caches of ww are showing up.
Ervin

Ole
07-24-2011, 08:14 PM
The last (small) batch of WW's that I melted had about 80% lead, 18% iron, and 2% zinc.

I think I only pulled two zinc'ers out of the whole batch. Rest of the non-lead WW's were iron.

07-24-2011, 09:58 PM
beladran, I'm in on a group buy. Send pm if this is an option...

Sanchez
07-26-2011, 12:58 PM
Re:
.... Am I evil or just a good trader.

Not at all, Ervin.
My 1st WW buy, fresh off the scale:

Just got back from the local tire shop, where I casually asked the counter gent if they had any scrap metal WW. At first he gave me a blank stare.
Then it turned quizzical, & I threw-in: "I'll go $.50 a pound for clip-ons". His expression quickly went confident: "Sure" was the reply & he asked (en Espanol) one of the lads just standing-around to put 10# of scrap weights into a bucket.

So, I gets it home & quickly onto the trusty/calibrated bathroom scale where it hit 13# including the 2-gal bucket. Noted a lotta tape-ons & a couple valve stems, but for $5, I was quite stoked :D

Pertsev
07-26-2011, 01:20 PM
No,do not buy lead ! Everything will be OK. Trust our Dear Leader to make things good.Not good to stockpile. In fact,if you know of any amounts of that nasty,dirty,politically incorrect lead lying around contact me. I'll haul if off to to help rid our enviroment of that terrible stuff !
Sarcasm off.
Ervin,you are a good horse trader. Paying 75cents for WW here,98 cents a lb for soft lead. Sometimes we luck out and get solder or other good stuff. We got 50lbs of 90% tin solder and 300lbs of Lino Pigs(looked fresh) for lead price.
Any good lead deals that come around and we jump on them.
Now is a good time to start stockpiling all types of commodities. Price of store brand wheat bread is now $3.29 a loaf,was $1.49 a loaf just a couple years ago.
Beans and bullets !

blackbike
09-15-2011, 12:08 PM
Due to eca laws and SHADY adminastration. DUA? I might be a little bit slow but I ain`t plum stupid

fredj338
09-15-2011, 03:42 PM
As others have noted, at that price, I would be buying. I doubt it gets cheaper going forward. Even if the economic climate cools further, the dropping $$ almost guarantees higher comodity prices. At 50c/#, I would buy at least 500# today.

inkedbylee
09-16-2011, 01:26 PM
Im thinking im lucky i have a gun shop i can get from and im the only one he will sell to. I pick up about every 6 weeks or so and ranges from 800 to as much as 1700 pounds. i would say take what you can and always look for more.