PDA

View Full Version : In praise of the Lee Hand Press

Ben
07-18-2011, 04:33 PM
Through the years I've owned several Lee Hand Press reloading tools. The press is ideal for someone who lives in an apartment, mobile home or lives in a situation where building a reloading bench isn't practical at the moment.

The little press is a real Titan, as it can easily full length re-size a 30-06 case with no problems at all.

I've loaned a few and given a few away to start a novice reloader , etc. Bottom line is, ---- I got myself in a position where I didn't have one myself.

Last week, I placed an order for a new one. This time , I ordered the newly designed model with the Lee Breech
Lock interrupted threads. This press is simply a stroke of genius ! !

The dies snap ( very securely , I might add ) in and out allowing the user to swap dies in the press just about as fast as you can use a turret press. BTW.... The Lee
Hand Press will accept any brand of 7/8 X 14 dies.

I chose the Lee Lock-Ring Eliminators instead of the conventional Lee Breech Lock Quick Change Bushings that many of you are familiar with. When the press arrived, I removed the Lee Lock rings from the 38 Spec. Lee 3 die set. The dies are then screwed down into the Lock-Ring Eliminators. The Lock-Ring Eliminators serve 2 purposes.......(1) They have a split ring with an allen screw that allow you to get your dies adjusted and lock them with the allen screw. ( you can't do that with conventional Lee Lock rings )
(2) The Lock - Ring Eliminators have the interrupted threads on the outside and snap in place preventing you from having to take each die and screw it in and out of the press saving TONS OF TIME.

Once I got the Lee 3 die 38 Special Carbide set clean, I loaded a few rounds. Simply amazing ! ! I couldn't be happier !

Now if I can keep this one.
I'll make a nice box out of cabinet grade plywood to keep the press, dies, powder,primers, etc. in. This box will easily slide under the bed and can be taken to the range and load ammo
there with no problems at all.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/Lee%20Hand%20Press/014.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/Lee%20Hand%20Press/012.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/Lee%20Hand%20Press/015.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/Lee%20Hand%20Press/016.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/Lee%20Hand%20Press/017.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/Lee%20Hand%20Press/018.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/Lee%20Hand%20Press/020.jpg

bart55
07-18-2011, 08:30 PM
I also have a lee hand press and althogh I have progressives and single stage and multiple stage presses I still use the hand press when I want to just play with a load. Or maybe so some of the steps while watching tv . That new setup looks great with the easy in and out for the dies . I may have to break down and buy another

Le Loup Solitaire
07-18-2011, 08:55 PM
This is probably the best one to come along over the years, It is strong, light and handy....does all the necessary operations. I've had two of them for a long time. The only minor pain for me has been that after around 10 decaps the shell holder has to be pulled to empty the spent primers, but it only takes a few seconds to do that. I'll probably get one of the newer ones soon just to have an extra around and make it a threesome. Lee did a good job with this tool. LLS

Rio Grande
07-18-2011, 09:43 PM
It may be blasphemy, but in my opinion this Lee press beats the heck out of the Lyman 310 tool.

Ben
07-18-2011, 09:56 PM
It may be blasphemy, but in my opinion this Lee press beats the heck out of the Lyman 310 tool.

It isn't blasphemy, it is fact.

I considered buying a 310 tool about 2 months ago, I'm really glad that I didn't .

You won't be F/L re-sizing a 300 Winchester Mag. with a 310 hand tool. It can easily be done with the Lee Hand Press.

Ben

onondaga
07-18-2011, 10:37 PM
Now I want one and I have plenty of presses. Nice tool!

Gary

Artful
07-20-2011, 12:41 PM
Everyone should have a hand tool of some kind. Didn't know Lee offered one with Lee Breech
Lock bushings - will have to look at gun shows see if I find a used one.

3006guns
07-20-2011, 01:28 PM
I bought my first Lee hand press for $13.95, used it, liked it, gave it to my son to spark his interest in reloading. I bought another, this time $19.95 and still use either it or my 310 tool, depending on the task at hand. I see now that the little Lee press is pushing 30 bucks or more and has this new feature. O.K....time to pony up the dough!

It's a good tool, well designed a amply strong enough for the job. As mentioned, the only drawback (and it's minor) is that you have to remember to empty the primers out of the ram. It's an easy task to learn though.....just forget once and after fumbling with tweezers, etc. you'll always remember after that!

Catshooter
07-20-2011, 07:52 PM
Ben,

You write up some interesting posts, I must say.

So can you tell me what the thread size is on the outside of the breech lock dies?

Thanks.

Cat

Ben
07-20-2011, 07:58 PM
Cat,

Thank you very much for your generous remarks. I'm not much of a machinist. I really don't know what size threads they are. Maybe someone else will chime in here and help us with that question.

Ben

geargnasher
07-20-2011, 09:41 PM
I just received my first one via the brown truck tonight. Been meaning to buy one for years, not that I need one, but it looked like something I should have. If nothing else I can reload in bed on sick or injured days off, as long as my arms and hands work. It will also fit nicely in a range kit, might start doing workups at the range. Midway has them on sale this month, and if money was more plentiful I would have bought two or three for gifts.

The Breech Lock is a new thing to me, I've read all about it but didn't buy any extra rings. For someone who has dies dedicated to one caliber, this would be perfect. Most of my dies are adjusted and locked down in turret heads, so for convenience I'd need extras.

I also thought this would be great for doing on-the-spot hardness testing at junkyards and other places where a portable tester would be nice.

Gear

Ben
07-20-2011, 09:45 PM
Gear,

Money well spent, you're going to enjoy that little press. Most powerful 1.5 lb. press I've ever used. I used one to load 6 mm Rem. BR, for about 2 yrs. Shot some amazing groups with that rifle and my little Lee Hand Press.

Ben

geargnasher
07-21-2011, 01:01 AM
My only complaint so far is the handles could stand to be about an inch longer, and the rib on the inside is a bit harsh on the finger bones when pulling a case back over the neck expander ball, perhaps some of that heavy, stretchy finger tape might help. It needs some padding IMO. Still a fine tool for $25 on sale, if it was the only press I had I don't think I'd suffer too much, especially with a shoebox full of breech-lock bushings.

Gear

Ben
07-21-2011, 07:42 AM
Gear :

Yes, either the breech-lock bushings, or my choice of the 2, the " Lock Ring Eliminator" do add to the price of an inexpensive but very effective little press.

The additional $$ invested in the system yields some super quick " In - Out " of your dies with no possibility of error once your dies are locked down with the " Lock Ring Eliminator".

http://leeprecision.com/xcart/Lock-Ring-Eliminator.html

I'm planning on loading ONLY 38 Specials with my system, so I had to shell out the extra money for the " Lock Ring Eliminators" only one time.

I bought 4 of them.

cajun shooter
07-22-2011, 01:00 PM
I have one of these in my "TRUCK" bag with a set of 44-40 and 357 mag and 45-70 dies. The tools never leave the bag. If I am out shooting BP then I can if I choose to decap my brass. It's intended use is if TSHTFD. Very cheap insurance to have.

frnkeore
07-22-2011, 02:28 PM
I bought mine back in about '86. The handle is the weak point. I didn't lube the inside of the neck and the inside of the neck must have been extra dirty. Try as I might, I couldn't get the expander out so................ I put my foot on the handle and in no time, I broke it :(

I'm a machinist so, I made one that is still in service after about 25 years. I wish I had the quick change one now.

My only gripe with them is because they aren't bench mounted, it's hard to juggle the tool, filled case and bullet to do the seating.

Frank

geargnasher
07-22-2011, 03:43 PM
What about making a clamp-on padded arm attached to the back of the main frame "C" that rests on your thigh to support the "open" press during the seating operation?

Gear

perimedik
07-22-2011, 08:36 PM
I use the Lee hand press when I am reloading on the ambulance during down time.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff170/perimedik/IMG00503.jpg

great tool. In addition to the hand primer. I have a very inexpensive, portable set up.

frnkeore
07-22-2011, 10:07 PM
Regarding the Lee breech lock. Does the Hornady Lock n Load have the same thread?

Frank

FWest
07-23-2011, 06:45 AM
This thred does make me want one.
I see an add on google for Gander Mtn 29.99 free shipping. I have not tried them but may for the short money.

perimedik
07-23-2011, 08:38 AM
I have not tried them but may for the short money.
You know what, I was the same way. I was hesitant too. One day my EMS partner came in with it (I was doing brass prep trim, chamfer, PP cleaning and Primer seating). He showed me how it worked and I was suprized at how sturdy and easy it was. I literlly called midway and ordered it while on the ambulance.

It is also good for load work up at the range.

Ben
07-23-2011, 12:58 PM
Frank :

I have no idea if the threads are the same or not ( Hornady and Lee ) , but just guessing, I'd say no, it isn't likely that the 2 companies chose the same interrupted thread pattern.

Ben

Catshooter
07-23-2011, 04:21 PM
Frank and Ben,

I'd go a bit further and say that they probably went out of their way make sure that the thread sizes were different. That is extremly common in manufacturing with competitors.

Cat

Ben
07-23-2011, 06:51 PM
I guess we all better be glad that die manufacturers could standardize on 7/8 X 14 , else we would have 20 different die threads on reloading dies now.

Ben

Catshooter
07-24-2011, 05:02 PM
Ani't that the truth.

Cat

Ben
07-25-2011, 06:57 PM
See if this makes the Lee Hand Press look like a good deal ?

HDS COMPAC RELOADING TOOL
Retail $ 133.98

This unit is designed with the Back Packer, Black Powder Shooter, Bench Rest Shooter, and those that require a small portable reloading tool. This unit is made with high quality aircraft aluminum and steel parts. This unit accepts any 7/8”-14 dies and standard shell holder heads. The tool works especially well with window type seating dies. The unit can be mounted on a bench. If space and portability are important to you, this is your kind of tool. Size 3-1/2" x 9".

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/images1.jpg

geargnasher
07-25-2011, 09:52 PM
Midway has the Lee for $24.99 'til the EOTM.

Gear

Ben
07-26-2011, 07:15 AM
Yes, that is what I paid for mine.
A lot of reloading press for $25

Ben

Ziptar
07-26-2011, 09:15 AM

Retail $ 133

$133 is nuts but, I paid $50 shipped for mine, there is no comparison really to the Lee hand press. The Compac takes much less oomph to use, can be bench mounted with the included bracket if desired, and has a better priming setup. (Although I prefer using a hand primer). It's apples to oranges really.

I will admit that a Lee breech lock hand press with four lock ring eliminators would be temping but, given the choice of that or the HDS for $50.00, I'd still take the HDS.

BCall
07-26-2011, 12:45 PM
Regarding the Lee breech lock. Does the Hornady Lock n Load have the same thread?

Frank

The Hornady LNL doesn't use an interrupted thread in their quick change system. It's more like a locking lug, no threads involved.

I had no issues with Lee's breech lock system while I had it. My only issue was that unlike the Hornady LNL, it wasn't adaptable to other presses. If you are using it in only one press, like Ben, it's a great idea. When I switched to the LNL stuff, was when I got 2 RCBS Rockchucker presses, and with the LNL system, I could use any die in either press. When I had the Lee press and 1 RC, the dies were set up to be specific to the press. The LNL made it a bit more flexible.

I do like that lock ring eliminator though, very nice idea. Especially for Lee dies that don't have alot of threads on them.

MikeS
07-27-2011, 11:32 AM

Retail $ 133.98

This unit is designed with the Back Packer, Black Powder Shooter, Bench Rest Shooter, and those that require a small portable reloading tool. This unit is made with high quality aircraft aluminum and steel parts. This unit accepts any 7/8”-14 dies and standard shell holder heads. The tool works especially well with window type seating dies. The unit can be mounted on a bench. If space and portability are important to you, this is your kind of tool. Size 3-1/2" x 9".

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/images1.jpg

Ben:

The picture you posted isn't the HDS tool, but rather the Decker Press, Decker was the original maker of those presses. When he died his widow sold the rights to the press to Huntington, they made a few changes to the press, and sell it as the Compac press. I now own the one that's in the picture you posted. It's a nice press, and I like it.

Ben
07-27-2011, 01:06 PM
Ok, fine.............this is the actual photo of the HDS press from their website.

http://www.huntingtons.com/reloadingpresses.html

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/compactool.gif

My point however was the pricing difference for the 2 hand presses, $25.99 vs. $133.98.

Ben

BWelch47
07-27-2011, 07:42 PM
Ok, fine.............this is the actual photo of the HDS press from their website.

http://www.huntingtons.com/reloadingpresses.html

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/compactool.gif

My point however was the pricing difference for the 2 hand presses, $25.99 vs. $133.98.

Ben

You are talking abouy 70's prices vs current price. I bought my Decker Press in 1975 for $32.00. I bought a SW model 28 for $120 in the early 70's. Today, a similar handgun would cost approximately $600 to $700.:cbpour:

Ben
07-27-2011, 10:45 PM
BWelch47 :

Guess I'm not being clear. I'm not talking abouy 70's prices vs current price, you may be but I'm not.

The Lee Hand Press is $24.99 ---------2011 Price

The HDS Press is $133.98............2011 Price. My point is, that is a farily dramatic difference in price for the 2 different hand presses.

Ben

MikeS
07-28-2011, 06:23 AM
Ben, Thanks, I didn't realize that they were still selling that press. I agree, the Lee is much less expensive, and if it's anything like their other presses, it's probably a good one. I wasn't trying to be critical, just pointing out that you were showing a different press. There are small differences between the Decker, and the Compac, I don't know if they're improvements or not. Either the Decker or Compac basically have to be a more expensive tool than the Lee just because of the number of parts, which means somebody has to assemble all those parts, where the Lee has many less parts (and many less things to break!).

For actual portable use (like camping, etc.) I think either handpress (the Lee, or Compac) with a Lee Speed die of the correct caliber is a great setup. I would say either is a better way of loading ammo away from 'home' than say a Lyman 310 tool, although they're good too.

MikeS
07-28-2011, 06:36 AM
Frank :

I have no idea if the threads are the same or not ( Hornady and Lee ) , but just guessing, I'd say no, it isn't likely that the 2 companies chose the same interrupted thread pattern.

Ben

I wonder if the thread is the same as on their classic cast without the adapter to bring it down to the 7/8-14 thread? If it is, then you could use it with their thicker dies that use the larger size thread (I don't remember what size it is). That would make it handy for decapping some of the BP rounds that use the larger size Lee dies.

Ziptar
07-28-2011, 10:17 AM
I wonder if the thread is the same as on their classic cast without the adapter to bring it down to the 7/8-14 thread? If it is, then you could use it with their thicker dies that use the larger size thread (I don't remember what size it is). That would make it handy for decapping some of the BP rounds that use the larger size Lee dies.

No, the regular classic cast is threaded 1-1/4 x 12. The breech loch classic cast isn't so much threaded as machined to accept the BL bushings.

The Hornady L-N-L conversion bushings will work in any 1-1/4 x 12 press so you get the regular Lee classic cast press and the L-N-L conversion and accomplish the same thing.

EMC45
07-28-2011, 10:50 AM
Reloading on an ambulance?.....Sweet.

BWelch47
07-28-2011, 08:37 PM
BWelch47 :

Guess I'm not being clear. I'm not talking abouy 70's prices vs current price, you may be but I'm not.

The Lee Hand Press is $24.99 ---------2011 Price

The HDS Press is $133.98............2011 Price. My point is, that is a farily dramatic difference in price for the 2 different hand presses.

Ben

Ben,

I own both the Lee Hand Press and the Decker Press. The Decker is very superior to the Lee, but if I had limited resources the Lee would be great. I would save and later buy the Decker aka the Huntingtion Compac Press. Both allow you to full size cases which is better that just neck sizing.

When I purchased my Decker in the early 70's, the Lee was in the distant future. I was reloading at the time using 1 Lyman 310 tool. The Decker was a heaven sent gift when I read an ad in a Guns and Ammo Magazine at the time. I have reloaded 1000's of rounds since then. Both the Decker and Lee were dreams of us who reloaded in the 60's and 70's. Keep up your reloading.:castmine:

PackerFan
09-08-2011, 11:55 AM
I started reloading back in June and bought this Lee hand press to start off with. I've loaded about 600 rounds through it and have very few gripes. Lee made a great product for people to get in to reloading with.

W.R.Buchanan
09-10-2011, 12:13 AM
Damn it Ben: Now I've got to get one of these too!

Been kind of wanting one for a long time, as I don't have Lee loaders for all of my rounds.

I had thought about making one similar to the Lee Press but with longer handles for some time now, but I couldn't make it for $25. So I guess I won't reinvent this wheel.

Maybe at the gun show tomarrow?

Randy

Multigunner
09-10-2011, 11:53 AM
Many years ago I was given a Lee Hand Press as a Christmas present. Since I've neck sized only for almost all my handloading I put it away and never got around to buying a set of dies till I ran across a great deal on a set from one of our members.

So far I haven't completed any loading with this tool, just dug out a bunch of fired cases and practiced the steps.
I had a couple of cans of once fired .303 cases given me by friends who didn't reload. Since few Lee Enfield rifles have identical chambers and headspace these were not usable till full length resized.
Same went for cases I'd used in my No.4 before replacing its worn bolt and bolt head to obtain very close headgap.
Now I can adjust the dies till these odd cases will just chamber and get at least a few reloads from them.
I'd already sorted these and discarded any with internal annular rings.
Now I have enough good cases to last for quite some time to come.

When I used a Lyman 310 many years ago I never had any problems with it. Since it neck sized only I did run into a gun related problem when an old M37 .38 revolver turned out to have two slightly bulged chambers. The M37 was an early pre recall version with the alloy cylinder, not suited to hot loads.
The same problem can sometimes pop up when .38 S&W/.380 British revolvers have been reamed out to take the .38 Special.
You have to full length resize these fired cases unless they are to only be used in the chamber they were originaly fired in.
Otherwise neck sizing only is by far the best way to go so long as cases are segregated to use in the rifle or handgun they were first used in.

Many years ago I passed up a great deal on a antique loading tool. It was for the .25-20 and had a built in bullet mold. I didn't have a use for it at the time, but now own a cherry Savage 23B in that chambering.
Old as that loading tool was it may not have been for the same .25-20 cartridge we are most familar with. There was a .25-20 cartridge developed for single shot target rifles long before the cartridge was redesigned for repeating rifles, the two don't interchange.
Still it would have been worth it for the bullet mold alone.

Gadzooks Mike
09-10-2011, 11:54 PM
My only complaint so far is the handles could stand to be about an inch longer, and the rib on the inside is a bit harsh on the finger bones when pulling a case back over the neck expander ball, perhaps some of that heavy, stretchy finger tape might help. It needs some padding IMO. Still a fine tool for $25 on sale, if it was the only press I had I don't think I'd suffer too much, especially with a shoebox full of breech-lock bushings.

Gear

Tennis racket tape. Trust me.

QUON
09-11-2011, 07:06 PM
i used the lee hand press mainly for neck sizing, bullet seating at the range. priming was done with the ram prime. powder was scooped by lee powder measure scoopes. this was used to load hard to find metric boxer primer brass back then. norma ammo was and is still a bit pricie today.

zardoz
09-13-2011, 09:16 PM
Just got one of these myself. Ordered with the Lee universal decapping die, and another Lyman #22 shellholder.

The main reason was to decap my 50-90 Sharps brass at the range, right after firing to drop into the cleaning solution. Fits very handily into the range bag.

With that breech lock bushing, well now the possibilities are many it seems. Think I will be ordering some more those bushings with the lock rings per the OP.

Ben
09-13-2011, 09:42 PM
zardoz :

Money well spent.

Ben

lead-1
09-14-2011, 03:46 AM
I know a guy that does all his reloading with the LEE hand loader and I always thought he would be better off just buying an Challenger press. Well, a couple of years ago my step dad picked me up a Lyman Acculine in the box for 5 bucks at a flea market and said if don't want it chuck it. I loaded a couple thousand .223 rounds that winter and put the LEE crimp die in the Lyman and went to town while watching TV.
They are very handy items in my opinion.

Rafe Covington
09-15-2011, 04:46 PM
Will standard dies work in the Lee Hand Press or do you have to use Lee dies.

Rafe:redneck:

Ben
09-15-2011, 05:25 PM
Will standard dies work in the Lee Hand Press or do you have to use Lee dies.

Rafe:redneck:

Rafe

Any standard set of 7/8 X 14 reloading dies from ANY manufacturer works in the Lee Hand Press. RCBS, Lyman, Lee, Redding, etc.

Thanks,
Ben

garym1a2
09-18-2011, 06:15 AM
One use for mine is to size the boolits with the lee size kit. Just hold it upide down and drop the boolit in. It ejects into a bin

SSGOldfart
09-22-2011, 02:25 PM
[smilie=f::killingpc:killingpcquick question for you guys using the lee hand press can you use it with just one hand,I've only got one hand kinda limits how one does things

Ben
09-22-2011, 04:02 PM
Someone might fabricate a device to secure the hand press to a table for you.

Catshooter
09-22-2011, 06:13 PM
One hand, mmmm. Press the press against your body? One hand would certainly be tougher than two, but it could still work.

Welcome to the forum SSG, what's your location?

Cat

Sonnypie
09-29-2011, 08:16 PM
[smilie=f::killingpc:killingpcquick question for you guys using the lee hand press can you use it with just one hand,I've only got one hand kinda limits how one does things

I am sorry to hear of that.
You could consider using your knees or inner thighs. It is surprising how strong leg muscles can be. (Think along the lines of the Thigh Master)
Add some Velcro straps to hold the press in place? (Or to one leg?)

I have a very old (25 + years) Lee hand press I attached to a shop made clamp to make it bench mountable/portable. I got it to use for 9mm reloading back in the mid-1980's.
Right now it is seeing service as my sizing press with Lee push-through sizing dies, beside the other bigger presses.
And as an aside, I have a Lee bullet feeder on it to hasten the sizing process. It has a small handle I installed on it to do the feeding.

Thanks Ben for showing how that system works and the detent lock. Until now it was hard to imagine how the dies locked in. But you made it crystal clear.

Ben
09-29-2011, 10:07 PM
Sonnypie :

Maybe I use photos too much here on the forum, but I for one can understand something if I can ACTUALLY SEE IT.

If I read about it...........Ummm, Well.....I may or may not understand the whole concept ? ? ?

Sonnypie
09-30-2011, 12:19 AM
Ben, You are absolutely right Sir. It is time I shared back some photos.
Please allow me to make amends.

My battle weary old Lee hand press grew a clamp.

http://home.earthlink.net/~pie/Sonny%27s/P9290226.JPG

And it grew a Lee Bullet feeder (http://www.titanreloading.com/press-accessories/lee-bullet-feed-kit-lee-feed-dies-fingers/45-cal-to-67-long-bullet-feed-kit-) and accessory 100 bullet feeder (http://www.titanreloading.com/press-accessories/lee-bullet-feed-kit-lee-feed-dies-fingers/multi-tube-feeder) in 45 caliber. It was an experiment, and I was willing to "force" the issue to yet another press if absolutely necessary.

http://home.earthlink.net/~pie/Sonny%27s/P9290227.JPG

(Most unfortunately, I can not use it on my RCBS 4X4, as I had hoped. It would have had a dual purpose then.)

Just yesterday I received the caliber change kit (http://www.titanreloading.com/press-accessories/lee-bullet-feed-kit-lee-feed-dies-fingers/9mm365-dia-to-75-long-feed-die-fingers) that is listed for 9mm and up to a .75 long (tall?) bullet. I needed the height for my 120 grain cast boolits, but I needed 30 caliber forks. As it turned out the forks are the same for 30 cal and in the change over kit I ordered. But the 9mm/.365 has the feed die throat needed for my boolits. As soon as the fork issue was resolved I fired in my order for the caliber change kit.

A 30 cal 120 grain in the forks:
http://home.earthlink.net/~pie/Sonny%27s/P9290228.JPG

And the same over the pusher ready to be fed into the sizer die.
http://home.earthlink.net/~pie/Sonny%27s/P9290229.JPG

(This is a boolit that is ready to load, but I'm using it for example. Also note how I have modified the sizer die to allow the forks to operate at the top end of the ram stroke.)

I functioned well over 500 cast 45's through with this before I added a knob to the actuator arm.

http://home.earthlink.net/~pie/Sonny%27s/P9290230.JPG

I broke one of the handles along the way and had the welder at work heliarc a repair and reinforcement into it after I had bead blasted and prepped it for him. Richard was an absolute artist with metals. (Decades ago now.)

http://home.earthlink.net/~pie/Sonny%27s/P9290232.JPG

http://home.earthlink.net/~pie/Sonny%27s/P9290231.JPG

So there ya have it, My Friend. Please excuse the kaos in the background. I never did have a "neat" shop. Basically, what is in use is generally on the top of the pile. :oops:
Sorry it took this long to respond. I have to do a ritual to get photos web ready and up on my URL.
I'm more than happy to share my ideas and triumphs concerning my tinkerings.
I know I have learned from you, and hopefully I have shared some ideas with you as well.
I have an interesting quirk. Probably 75% of my interest is in the methods and improvements, and 25% in the end results.
When my hands are busy, my mind is working on ways to improve what my hands are doing.

IT'S A MADHOUSE! A MADHOUSE! :holysheep :killingpc

But I have more fun than a barrel of monkeys.

I love my old Lee hand press. Battle weary as it may be, it's a workin still!

Sonnypie
09-30-2011, 12:38 AM
PS: Being "low slung" like it is, it's a sit down operation. Kinda nice that way.

Ben
09-30-2011, 08:03 AM
Sonnypie :

That is all new to me, I've NEVER seen anything like that. That's NEAT ! !

Good Shooting,

Ben

Sonnypie
09-30-2011, 11:32 AM
Glad to share, Ben.
I'm as eccentric as a 5 sided tire. http://www.websmileys.com/sm/crazy/1087.gif
One up side is it helps me count the boolits. (Not that it's important to know)

A poster from Norway said you could use the Lee Bullet Feeder to size boolits. I was on that like a hound to a trail.
Figuring stuff out is one of the things I do.
Since I currently reload only two calibers it keeps me focused. But if the Step-Son decides to reload for his, things will be expanding.

If SSGOldfart had a Lee hand press, and it had extensions that curved out and down (thinking rams horns) and could lay over each leg, I'm wondering if he could use his legs to do the press work, and his one hand to feed and extract casings?
Probably be better off with a progressive of some sort, though. :-(

OK, yesterdays 30 cal's are calling me to go size them.... before it gets hot. ;)

Mike Kerr
09-30-2011, 01:10 PM
Now that is neat. I would never have thought of that. Pretty darn clever.

regards,

:-):-):-)

FLDad
10-01-2011, 06:22 PM
That's really terrific engineering work all round. I suppose you have to be creative to enjoy shooting sports in Kalifornia!

Leadforbrains
10-01-2011, 07:58 PM
I have had one for the longest time, and I used it to load ammo when me and the wife were just starting out life together in an apartment. I agree that is a great tool and a great innovation. Everyone should have one just to put in a to go loading kit. Sonny that is some neat stuff you got going on there!

UNIQUEDOT
10-01-2011, 11:58 PM
PS: Being "low slung" like it is, it's a sit down operation. Kinda nice that way.

I agree that it's creative, but unless i am missing something here...it's actually taking longer for you to size the bullets since you have to load the feed tubes?

Sonnypie
10-02-2011, 01:40 PM
I guess I will have to time it for you, Doubting Tomas. :lol:

It actually goes faster than the standard operation by itself. The standard being:
1. Pick up a bullet.
2. Turn it nose up.
3. Place it on the mandrill.
4. Guide the bullet as it enters the sizing die. (And don't get pinched. :( )
Repeat for 100 times. (Notice the gooie fingers)

OR:
1. Sitting on your shop chair, pick up a handful of boolits. The feeder magazine is between your legs at about a 30-45 degree angle. (Indexed to between feeding positions)
http://home.earthlink.net/~pie/Sonny%27s/PA020246.JPG

2. With both hands, rotate the boolits and feed them into the tubes of the feeder. They are all nose up and indexed to be fed when in the feeder tubes. (Dependent on finger dexterity, boolit style.)
Wipe hands to remove the stickies. (I use a little solvent on a shop rag.)

3. Install the magazine on the sizing press/feeder device.

4. Turn the tube to begin the feeding operation and begin. Goes like this:
http://home.earthlink.net/~pie/Sonny%27s/P9300237.JPG

Raise the handle,
http://home.earthlink.net/~pie/Sonny%27s/P9300233.JPG
http://home.earthlink.net/~pie/Sonny%27s/P9300234.JPG

raise the ram,
http://home.earthlink.net/~pie/Sonny%27s/P9300235.JPG

Lower the ram,
http://home.earthlink.net/~pie/Sonny%27s/P9300236.JPG

Cycle the handle,
http://home.earthlink.net/~pie/Sonny%27s/P9300238.JPG

raise the ram, lower the ram, cycle the handle,
R&L ram, C/H, R&L ram, C/H, R&L ram, C/H, R&L ram....

Once you get a rhythm going, it is amazingly fast to empty the feeder magazine. And when it's empty, that's 100 boolits ready to be loaded, or stored for the next time needed.
So standard way, or feeder way? For me, I like the feeder way best. It is actually, or can be, faster to process the boolits through the sizing operation.

I still get to fumble finger each boolit into the reloading press when doing the actual reloading.
Pistol:
1. I pick up a boolit and an empty case.
The case goes in the empty index, and the boolit on the station 4 case that is ready to be finished. (With proper belling, I find it sits there just fine.)
2. As I cycle the press with my right hand, I collect a boolit and an empty case to repeat the operation with my left hand.
Just like anybody using an older progressive press for Pistola Ammunition.

I like to try and be as efficient as possible with my motions. Eventually my arms and shoulders start talking back to me. So I tend to make my movements close and minimal. Then take breaks to stretch and flex a little to get the blood back in the empty spots.

So what is that big white thing and black hose?
Oh, that's next.... Sacking the sized boolits. [smilie=1:

Sonnypie
10-02-2011, 02:57 PM
The limit of ten...
10 pictures. :x

Onward through the fog...

The white plastic thing...

What of when the boolits emerge from the sizing die?
Well, Lee designed a pretty nifty case/catcher for their sizing die sets. Personally, I found that occasionally boolits tend to jam slightly and will be shoved on out with brute strength and awkwardness. Or find a better method to collect the excrement of the sizing operation....

The boolits emerge one by one as they progress through the sizing operation. So if you are doing hundreds and hundreds you want for a better method.
Like some sort of catcher funnel, and a drop chute, and a container. Humm...
A plastic squirt dispenser bottle, scissors, a punch = Wa-La.
http://home.earthlink.net/~pie/Sonny%27s/P9300242.JPG

http://home.earthlink.net/~pie/Sonny%27s/P9300243.JPG

So where does that go?
Down here:
http://home.earthlink.net/~pie/Sonny%27s/P9300245.JPG

Ever been to a swap meet? Ever see how the venders secure a tarp to the frameworks they set up?
http://home.earthlink.net/~pie/Sonny%27s/P9300244.JPG

The black corrugated hose is a piece of left over 2.5" vacuum system hose from my shop dust collection adventures.
The boolits sack right up for storage until needed.

YMMV (Your mileage may vary)

I hope the pictures help to explain it. :wink:
I found I did over 900 - 30 cal boolits the other day.
After 300, I made the chute dealy-ma-bobber. My "counter" is the feeder magazine.
Lee did something cool there as well. The larger tubes are for up to 45 caliber, the smaller tubes (which fit inside the larger ones) are up to 35-36 caliber.
The length (I found) of the 45 cal is just right for 25 per tube.
The smaller tubes, which are a bit longer, actually hold 25 of my 120 grain 30 cal boolits.
So either way I use it, 45 or 30 caliber) a full house amounts to 100 each.

Now if you should toy with this concept, remember the feeder is designed around PISTOL bullets, for lee's high end progressive presses.
I got it with a bit of tongue in cheek optimism that I could make it work. And I added a 6-32 screw and a knurled knob I had for a manual handle.
For me, it is a fun and function thing.

Once in a while I get a cascade malfunction where it spits out several boolits on the floor. I'm working on refining that. The opening is just a smidgen big for my 30 cal boolit length, IMO.
So I'm tinkering a fix in my head for it.

UNIQUEDOT
10-02-2011, 10:45 PM
I don't think i will attempt to make a feeding system, but i think i found a new way to get them into their storage containers! ;-) Thanks for the visual on it.

Sonnypie
10-06-2011, 09:59 AM
Your welcome, Uniquedot.
I use a similar drop/tube arrangement for my RCBS 4X4 press. It shucks out the finished rounds into a catch tray.
One evening while doing a batch of several hundred 45 ACP's, I thunked up the idea.
I was watching how the finished rounds flipped out of the shell carrier and thinking about a funnel and a sack below.
In about two shakes of a lambs tail I have mounted an old router table dust hood as a funnel and had a drop hose to my sack of finished 45's.
So this sizing station adaption was just another of that. Different "funnel".
I will say, narry a plug in the exit of the die now.

The corrugated hose tends to slow the decent of the boolit/rounds. I can add an angle to it so the material doesn't drop so hard.

I just don't like getting my fingers and hands gooey with loob, and getting it on handles and other things. :x
Lord knows I'm not afraid to get dirty. :wink:

Mike Kerr
10-09-2011, 11:49 PM
See I just thought it was a hand press - but you guys have so much engineering or mechanical background - Geesh. I guess "necessity is the mother of invention"

regards,

:-):-)

popper
11-02-2011, 02:11 PM
It is handy and portable, easy to use for FL sizing, bellng, decaping. I can't get enough push to N-S .243. For any accuracy, the shell holder has to touch the bottom of the die - the linkage is too sloppy to guarantee a few thou shoulder setback. My hands need a rest after decapping 200 .40, but it is a good tool for some tasks.

perimedik
11-07-2011, 10:04 AM
Reloading on an ambulance?.....Sweet.

THANKS
I aminly decap/FL resize due to the fact I may have to pack at a moments notice. however I have on slower days produced 200 rounds started from tumbled brass to finished product.

Rio Grande
11-07-2011, 10:28 AM
Sonnypie's 'extreme makeover' of the Lee Hand Press is interesting, but if I wanted a Rube Goldberg Dillon-thingy I would have bought one to begin with.

I like the 'old' Lee Hand Press because its simple, small good engineering.

The 'new' Lee Hand Press with the 'breech-lock' thing I don't think I like so much.
Lets see, 'lets you change dies w/ a twist of the wrist'.
I've got my dies rings set, what's so hard about changing dies then?
The press comes w/ one lock ring. Others are $6.50 plus shipping.
Hmm.
I don't get it.

Does Lee still offer the 'old style' Hand Press, without the Breech-Lock?

Ben
11-07-2011, 10:51 AM
Rio Grande

If you have not used it, that's probably why " you don't get it".

The breech lock is miles ahead of the old style Lee Hand Press.

I can change 3 sets of dies in and out of the Breech lock before you
can do one with the old style. Time is worth something.

PatMarlin
11-07-2011, 11:39 AM
I didn't know man could do such a thing ...:mrgreen:

nanuk
11-07-2011, 09:48 PM
Rio Grande

If you have not used it, that's probably why " you don't get it".

The breech lock is miles ahead of the old style Lee Hand Press.

I can change 3 sets of dies in and out of the Breech lock before you
can do one with the old style. Time is worth something.

I kinda agree with Rio Grande.

why would you need to change dies so quickly?

do you load one at a time at the range? for developement?

that is the only thing I can think of....
and I want to get one specifically for that.

Ben
11-07-2011, 10:13 PM
I'm sorry, I just don't like screwing dies in and out of a press, I've been doing that very thing since 1965.

That is the reason that I have a Lee Classic Turret and use the Lee Hand Held Breech Loc system, both afford me the pleasure of reloading without that task.

If someone enjoys screwing dies in and out,....Well that's great also....... it is a big world with plenty of room for all of us.

Rio Grande
11-10-2011, 11:45 PM
I'm sorry, I just don't like screwing dies in and out of a press, I've been doing that very thing since 1965.

That is the reason that I have a Lee Classic Turret and use the Lee Hand Held Breech Loc system, both afford me the pleasure of reloading without that task.

If someone enjoys screwing dies in and out,....Well that's great also....... it is a big world with plenty of room for all of us.

It is a big old world, you're right.
Ben, your time must be mighty valuable.

I use the Hand Press, maybe load 100 or 200 pc. lots.
Do all the operations 100 or 200 pcs at a time.
Just going slow, take 2 or three evenings.
So I screw the dies in 3 or 4 times? In 2 or 3 days?

To me, the breech lock is just an added part and an added expense.
Why does Lee keeps 'improving' things, like they did with their hand priming tool, now the Hand Press? The old Lee tools were better.
Simple is Good.

Sonnypie
11-11-2011, 09:47 AM
Does Lee still offer the 'old style' Hand Press, without the Breech-Lock?

I don't think so. At least I can't find one.
I did see here they offer the Classic Cast press in both versions.
But you don't have to use the breech lock system. Leave the bushing in the press.
Instead, just mount and dismount the dies into and out of the breech lock bushing that comes with the press.
Nice and old fashioned like. ;-)
No problem.

My Lee hand press saw enough action in it's days to break one of the handles. It had been laying for a number of years idle. Put aside by the bigger and more wowzer machines in my little world.
Then came casting, and then sizing those cast boolits. And the worn but tried and true Little Lee press again shown it can shine.
So a place was made on the bench for it, and it is dedicated to sizing all cast boolits.

The Lee Hand Press is a very good little press for folks starting out, or that want to try fine tuning loads at their favorite range. Personally, I work up my loads, then take batches to the range to shoot. I even did that with my 9mm loads made with the little fella.
Mine allowed me to reload several hundreds of 9mm loads for a Browning High Power. (What I bought it for at the time.) I had it and what I needed in a smaller bag and could take it along anywhere and crunch rounds out.

If I were to suggest any changes in it to Lee Precision it would be that they make standard that it, and all breech lock presses, come with at least 2 or 3 inserts.
So the customer has the inserts for a die set from the start.

Hang Fire
12-01-2011, 03:44 PM
Wife bought hers years ago and is the only press she uses for .380 acp which is all she loads.

Got a Dillon and other bench mtd presses, but she refuses to use them, after 50 years of marriage I have learned when not to argue with her.

UNIQUEDOT
12-02-2011, 01:46 AM
Got a Dillon and other bench mtd presses, but she refuses to use them

At least she isn't making you load her ammo with it (hand press). :mrgreen:
Gotta be time consuming to load .380's with the hand press...I'd constantly be spilling powder from the cases.

Texantothecore
12-07-2011, 10:41 AM
Just my own opinion but the Lee Handpress and the Lee Classic Loaders are the best stuff that Lee has ever produced. You can reload anywhere and both of these tools will fit nicely into my field bag.
I always, always run out of ammo at the range. I just reload using my LCL and my handpress.

Jim
12-07-2011, 11:13 AM
I tried that one time. Between "Whatcha doin'?", "You're gonna blow up your gun!" and "That ain't the right powder" folks hangin' around, distracting me and irritating me, I decided the best thing for me was to just load enough at the house.

I started with a Lee Loader way back when, but have since sold or traded them off. I do have a hand press in one of my cabinets. Every now and then, I want to do something that doesn't require a bench mounted press or add some extra step like factory crimping. It comes in right handy for that.

cdet69
12-08-2011, 09:55 PM
Love it for neck sizing brass wile watching tv.

kevinm600
06-19-2012, 05:24 PM
I have used Lee Precision products for over 25 years and absolutely love them. They are well made and last a lifetime. I currently have a Challenger press and have had it for 10 years. It still looks and works like new. I have loaded everything from 44 Mag to 470 Capstick with it. I also love Lee dies and their loading data. It just goes to show you, you don't have to pay a fortune to get good quality...which is unusual.

I just ordered the Lee Hand Press after reading this website article...http://www.us-shooter.com/the-reloading-press-what-to-consider-when-buying/

wilded
06-19-2012, 05:36 PM
I have the old model Lee hand press and it sounds like it is time for an upgrade. Thanks for posting about the new one.

joec
06-19-2012, 05:56 PM
I use mine mostly with the universal decapping die by lee. I shoot a lot of black powder and I like to decap and get them in soapy water while shooting in my CAS group. We have down time between each set so I have little to do other than clean my guns when I get home. Next day I rinse and tumble the dried brass and ready to reload. I like the quick method on the newest version of setting the die and removing it in a hurry. It also works as a pretty good hand primer in a pinch..

One Gun Andy
06-21-2012, 05:59 PM
Let's face it... There's always gonna be one more tool we need to try/buy. Good discussion on a great tool; the Lee Loader that is.

melter68
06-22-2012, 04:13 AM
Lee reloading items are great value and a piece of engineering, i love the old hand loaders, i even designed a new type of hand loader, which lee said would work, but because theres not much demand for hand loaders it would not pay.

A always use lee products were i can and there customer service is second to non.

cheers chris in england

tim josey
07-11-2012, 11:23 AM
I bought one to go along with my Loadmaster, like a lot of people, I have trouble with the priming station. Now I deprime and resize while watching TV and use the Lee newest hand priming tool. Then go to the Loadmaster for the last 3 steps.
I'm not worried about how fast I can do 100 rounds, and I know the primers are good to go!

Tim

rmatchell
08-01-2012, 07:04 PM
I love my hand press, only thing I dont like is the primmers in the ram. I cant complain to much thats a small problem though.

Silvercreek Farmer
08-01-2012, 09:45 PM
Bought mine 4-5 months ago, for my entry into reloading. Only problem with it is that it is just enough to get you hooked!

Wal'
08-02-2012, 08:54 AM
Ok you've sold me on buying one of these presses for loading at the range or using as backup on hunting trips etc

But what would really be good is to see what & how you transport, box or carry the handpress & all the rest of the reloading components, powder, boolits dies & like.

Or is it just thrown in your hunting/range bag. :lol: :lol:

Photos for those with camera's would even be better. :-) :lovebooli

cat223
08-03-2012, 06:08 AM
Well, thanks a lot guys! Now I have to add the Lee Hand Press to my wish list. I have no doubt that it's a great tool because I already have the Lee Challenger press with the Breech Lock system. Lee is the only brand I have used and I'm totally sold on their products.

opos
08-06-2012, 11:03 AM
I'm old and slow...no hurry to "crank out" lots of loads per hour....I used to load...many years ago...and took a many year vacation...got back in a few years ago with a Lee anniversary kit for the garage....didn't have room or the inclination to spend the time in the garage so recently bought a Lee Breech lock hand press...had Lee delux 4 die sets in the calibers I load and had the bushings from the "kit"...I load in my "office" (lair, den, man cave, whatever) and it's terrific....I've loaded several thousand rounds with it and never once had an issue. I have the little manual primer which was replaced with one of the Lee hand priming tools and I like that a bit better...don't have to touch the primers. I do lube slightly even with carbide dies...it just makes things easier. I have a Lee Classic cast press new in the box sitting in my closet that I figured would be something I'd like to use and it's still in the box and going to my Son for Christmas...I have no use for it.

foxhole
08-17-2012, 09:01 AM
great post,I have thought about a hand loader for working up loads at the range myself

W.R.Buchanan
08-17-2012, 05:18 PM
For those that still want to screw dies in and out of the press there is no need to find and old Lee Hand Press.

There are two types of bushings for the new tools. One is just a plain bushing that comes with the press. The other is the lock ring eliminator which clamps onto the die locking the setting in place.

If you just screw the plain bushing into the tool and leave it,,, it is the same as the old style tool. However the improvement is the fact that you are screwing your dies into a steel thread instead of an aluminum thread which is going to give up sooner or later to cross threading.

The majority of single stage presses have a steel bushing screwed into threads in the press body. This is so if you goon the threads you can fix it easily and not trash the whole press.

I could build/make a higher quality version of the Lee press in my machine shop using all machined parts made of aluminum and steel.There is no reason to do it!

It can't be made any significant amount better than what they've done. And I damn sure couldn't do it for $30. Sometimes it is just pointless to reinvent the wheel.

As far as decapping I think buying one of the Lee Loader bases for your caliber and decapping punch for your calibers would be a good way to knock out primers. One base covers alot of calibers and a few punches would do most everything too. This is also something I could make, but again I can't do it for $5.

The simple Lee stuff is pretty hard to beat. the more expensive stuff,,, ehhhh? Not so much.

Randy

gunseller
08-24-2012, 10:54 AM
Just read the post in this thread. When Lee first offered their turent press around 35 years ago I decided I needed one. Went to my local dealer after seeing the turent press in the American Rifleman. Dealer told me he had tried to get some but the presses were not avableale yet. Next day I called Lee company. Ended up talking to Mr Lee. He sold me a press real cheap as long as I agreed to call him back after a month of use and tell him what I thought. When I called him back in a month I told him I had loaded the first 1000 rounds of 223 with the press on my lap watching TV. We talked for a long time about what I had done. About 6 months later Lee came out with their hand press. So I claim I had some input on their hand press. I have several and have broken handles necking up 30-06 to 35 cal. That said I have loaded rounds from223 to 416 Rigby.
Steve

Texantothecore
08-25-2012, 11:29 AM
Ok you've sold me on buying one of these presses for loading at the range or using as backup on hunting trips etc

But what would really be good is to see what & how you transport, box or carry the handpress & all the rest of the reloading components, powder, boolits dies & like.

Or is it just thrown in your hunting/range bag. :lol: :lol:

Photos for those with camera's would even be better. :-) :lovebooli

I just throw mine into my field bag. It is always there.

Frank V
08-26-2012, 08:06 PM
I've used the Lee hand press for several years. I like using it to size, & decap straight wall handgun cases in front of the TV. I would like to see a little better way to capture spent primers though. I always wait till the ram is almost full, then they seem to hang up in the ram & go everywhere except in the trash????:confused:
Frank

Rio Grande
08-27-2012, 07:38 AM
I've used the Lee hand press for several years. I like using it to size, & decap straight wall handgun cases in front of the TV. I would like to see a little better way to capture spent primers though. I always wait till the ram is almost full, then they seem to hang up in the ram & go everywhere except in the trash????:confused:
Frank
Slide a sandwich baggie over the ram, turn press upside down. Collects your spent primers and keeps abrasive particles from dies and press.

Frank V
08-27-2012, 10:10 AM
Thanks Rio, that's a great tip. I was trying to dump them directly into the trash can & ALWAYS spilled a lot.
Frank

Silvercreek Farmer
08-27-2012, 05:02 PM
I think my pecs are bigger since I started reloading with the hand press!

nanuk
08-27-2012, 05:21 PM
I'd like to get one and hire suzanne summers to full length size for me.....

Dutchman
09-06-2012, 03:58 AM

I wondered why there were over 10,000 page views on this thread. Exactly how much praise can you heap on the Lee hand press?

http://images51.fotki.com/v103/photos/2/28344/6456804/us004566366002-vi.jpg

http://images59.fotki.com/v222/photos/2/28344/6456804/us004566366003-vi.jpg

Frank V
09-06-2012, 10:31 AM
It's a great little press, but it will pinch your fingers if you get careless![smilie=1:
Frank

Cowboy T
09-06-2012, 04:21 PM

Naughty, naughty! But, can't argue. :mrgreen:

Actually, I've never used the Lee Hand Press. All my reloading is done on the bench, but the thing looks like it's handy for when you're out somewhere. Wouldn't want to try sizing .45-70 or anything similar, but it probably works really well for typical handgun, or rifle neck-sizing, applications.

W.R.Buchanan
09-07-2012, 02:24 PM
Cowboy T: it will FL size .30-06 cases with ease. .45-70 cases are actually easier as there is no shoulder to set back.

The mechanical advantage is there to do the heavy work, but you probably wouldn't want to FL size 100 416 Rigby cases with this tool. You would do that at the bench.

Using the thing like a thighmaster will give you the extra push you need for the really big cases, but if you were going to reload .416 Rigby ammo in the field you probably wouldn't be doing more than a few at a time anyway so this tool could fill the bill.

Everything has it's limitations, and some things are more limited than others . This tool just happens to be one of the tools that is very adaptable to a wide variety of uses. It may not be the best tool for every job,,, but it will do most press related jobs well.

In certain circumstances it might be all you could have with you, and believe me, you could do alot worse. I would consider myself to be lucky to have it because I would be confident that I could load first rate ammo for any cartridge I had dies and components for.

For $30 I don't see how any reloader could live without one..

Randy

rintinglen
09-08-2012, 09:30 AM
+1 to what he just said.
I bought mine when I moved into my current home and had no where to set up my bench presses. I loaded a couple of thousand 38's and 44's over the 14 months before I could get a new Shed built to house my play toys. I have never regretted buying it. What I have used it for is seating bullets at the range when working up experimental loads for a new rifle. Saves wear and tear on the bullet puller when you find out that the STARTING load is too hot for your rifle. (Bought a mauser action .243 once and had that experience.)

Texantothecore
09-08-2012, 12:00 PM
Naughty, naughty! But, can't argue. :mrgreen:

Actually, I've never used the Lee Hand Press. All my reloading is done on the bench, but the thing looks like it's handy for when you're out somewhere. Wouldn't want to try sizing .45-70 or anything similar, but it probably works really well for typical handgun, or rifle neck-sizing, applications.

FL sizing of .45-70 is quite easy with the Lee Hand Press. It requires surprising little pressure to bring the cases in line. I have done hundreds of new cases with the hand press and it works every time.

One of my favorite presses. Lots of guys use it while watching football.

Darto
09-23-2012, 04:01 AM
I have Hunting (Decker) press many years. It works better than the Lee because handles on each side worked together produce no sideways forces, it's all inline. This gives tremendous power and stability. It uses standard RCBS primer seating cups and springs (very slow to switch between small & large -3 minutes).

For fun (not practical-i.e. too slow) I load shotgun shells with Lee hand loader (the late deluxe model with long was guide and plastic star crimp starter.

July '67 American Rifleman had tip to use a 6" C clamp (cheap on Ebay) during the final setting of the crimp. Not necessary with paper hulls but a C clamp really is necessary for a tight permanent crimp on plastic hull (I use Rem. STS 20 gauge) with a Lee Loader.

EDIT: Most folks don't have a large 6" C clamp, but a Lee loader + the clamp will produce great modern shotshells but very very slowly.

Sakdog
10-15-2012, 08:36 PM
I would rather light my face on fire than be without my little lee hand press.

My first "toe in the water" on reloading was to order a Lee anniversary breech lock challenger press kit with a hand press on the side.

The breech lock never got used, I always used the hand press for the convenience it afforded me.

I moved on to other presses and load full progressive now but the hand press will always be with me and is still useful.

DCM
10-17-2012, 08:54 PM
I bought one of the hand presses a while back for depriming brass at the range while waiting for a cease fire and for depriming while sitting in front of the mind melting box in the living room.
I am very pleased with it and am considering giving one to a friend for Christmas since he currently uses my stuff and has little room for a reloading bench.

cloakndagger
12-10-2012, 09:59 PM
Have one, by far my most versatile tool, and the breech lock system beats the heck out of the old screw it in screw it out system on my rcbs.. but i still love my lee loaders, bench presses, and am looking forward to purchasing some 310's to round out my collection. Right now i'm sizing some boolits for my 38's for a weekend shoot with friends :)... best stress toy ever invented...

gunoil
12-11-2012, 04:37 PM
Was my first, great for 380's.

Para82
12-23-2012, 10:20 AM
Still have one,got me started into reloading. Wife got it for me for Christmas back in the early 90s with a set of Lee steel dies to load for a Rossi 92 rifle in 357 mag. Still use it a lot to deprime with RCBS universal decapping die. Also use it a lot with a 9 MM Lee speed die. Used it yesterday as a matter of fact!
Para82

Frank V
12-23-2012, 03:59 PM
Mine is an older one, it doesn't have the breechlock system. That would make it really handy.
Frank

psychicrhino
05-02-2014, 12:09 AM
The breechlock is pretty handy indeed.

jonp
05-02-2014, 12:18 AM
Old thread but a good one. I use mine all the time. It was the first one I bought when I started handloading a number of years ago. I used to sit at my table on the porch at my hunting camp in the winter and load up ammo. Its a good way to get the "feel" of whats going on.

rollmyown
05-03-2014, 03:13 AM
I wish you guys would not do this. I feel almost compelled to buy this tool. I don't need it, but now I want one.

besk
05-03-2014, 07:48 PM
While I have been reloading for over 40 years I don't do a lot compared to many of the folks on this forum. Used to have a Rockchucker - great design but way too much for my needs. Sold it and bought the Lee years ago. It fits in my reloading box (a old army ammo box) along with scales, etc. I have even resized jacketed pistol bullets with it.

W.R.Buchanan
05-06-2014, 02:08 PM
rollmyown: So you don't have a Lee hand Press? If you spend the $30 or so bucks on this tool believe me you will find uses for it.

In fact it is the next step up from a Basic Lee Loader set of hand dies. However you can do just about anything with it that you could do with a regular single stage press but it is super portable and fits in a box that is 4 x 16 x 1!

If you don't have the space for a bunch of equipment, like if you live in an apartment, motorhome, trailer or tent, then this tool along with a few accessories can do everything you need to do to make quality ammunition. Also it is not any significant amount slower than a bench mounted single stage press, so your output would be similar.

Look forward to hearing your comments after you acquire this tool, cuz I know you are gonna go right down and get one today!

Randy

Frank V
05-06-2014, 06:57 PM
I wish you guys would not do this. I feel almost compelled to buy this tool. I don't need it, but now I want one.

Need has nothing to do with it, it's a want issue pure & simple!!!!:happy dance:
This tool is pretty handy, many times I've sat in front of the TV sizing & decapping cases. It can be taken to the range or hunting camp to load ammo if needed it's small enough & you don't need a bench.
We are a bunch of enablers aren't we???

badbob454
05-07-2014, 01:12 AM
i use it to resize 9mm in my makarov dies 5.000 later ,my arms are stronger . he he

rdlange
06-05-2014, 02:19 PM
I got two, like the older ones better than the 'lock' models. Use them in combination with 310s. I've had a serious Lyman 4-hole turret press for years, but only used it once. I load more than one caliber too. They seem to give me a more precise feel for consistency, and are way easier to 'set up', but maybe because I'm used to them. Don't need a 'bench' either. Glad others like them too.

luvtn
06-09-2014, 11:14 AM
I bought one back in 2009, when I was living in hotels as I traveled around doing work contracts. When it said "hand press" I envisioned something that used one hand. Ha ha. I don't use it much now that I have settled down. I do have a challenger single stage that I really enjoy also, that stays set up in the kitchen (yes I live alone!).
lt

gwpercle
06-10-2014, 07:23 PM
Here is another plus for the Lee Hand Press. I took mine to my office and reloaded 100 rounds of 9 mm Luger sitting at my desk. Was getting ready for a trip to the shooting range this Sunday and didn't have any ammo for the WWII Walther P-38 my dad had just given me. Couldn't have bolted the Pacific Super Press to my desk but the Lee Hand Press came through with flying colors.

Now I'm range ready!
Gary

RonT
06-11-2014, 11:17 AM
And another.... I put a RCBS Cowboy seater (38-55) in mine and load 250 gr. Lee molded boolits slip fitted over 42 gr. ffg in fireformed Starline Brass. I made a decapper, and use a RCBS priming tool to reprime the cases.
Thought awhile about a 310 but gave up and went with the Lee. I do have a turret for other reloads.
R

dudel
06-11-2014, 10:31 PM
Has anyone tried it with the lee push through sizes? I'm thinking holding it upside down, placing the boolit in the sizing die, closing the handle and letting sized booklets fall into a bucket. I could size while watching TV.

Ben
06-11-2014, 10:46 PM
Has anyone tried it with the lee push through sizes? I'm thinking holding it upside down, placing the boolit in the sizing die, closing the handle and letting sized booklets fall into a bucket. I could size while watching TV.

dudel

Be careful with bullets falling and hitting other bullets and damaging them.

35 shooter
06-12-2014, 12:04 AM
Bought one about 10 years ago. I had used a rockchucker since the early 70's. I liked the load anywhere versatility of the lee tool so much and got so used to it that it's all i use anymore. The rifle groups with ammo loaded on the hand tool are carbon copys of the same ammo loaded on the rockchuck. I'd like to have one of the new ones with the breech lock system.

GhostHawk
06-12-2014, 08:45 AM
I use mine with the push through sizer, and love it.

In fact I've gotten to where I am double sizing. First time through to press on gas checks. Then pan lube, and run them through again to remove excess lube.

I don't use the plastic catch bin at all, I have it laying on my lap use my left hand to stabilise it, and when the bullet drops out it drops into my palm and I move it to a container. Its simple, it somehow is very relaxing, calming. Mellows me right out, makes me feel that all is well with the world. Whatever is going to happen is going to happen. I'm as ready as I need to be so let it come.

kenyerian
06-12-2014, 08:54 AM
It is a great tool to introduce people to reloading. My grandson brought his girl friend over last night and they loaded up a box of 9mm with it. I just watched while he explained things to her. it was a very rewarding evening for me. Next he is going to teach her to cast, size and lube some boolits.

Hops Brewster
06-17-2014, 09:36 PM
My mechanic called me last week to say he was thinking about starting to reload. A couple days later I went to visit him with my Lee hand press in hand. I have made up a little tool kit I can take along camping or where ever I go shooting which includes the press, a scale, the die set, a plastic container of powder, funnel, primer tool, and calipers. I brought along a manual, a few .45 shells, primers and LSWC and proceeded to demonstrate the simple process of reloading. I left him with the loan of the reloading manual so he could read about it, with a warning that right now powder is hard to find. I think I converted him to the dark side.

Glassman66
07-05-2014, 12:36 AM
I just ordered a Lee loader in 30-06 for my savage 110 and the hand loader is my next purchase. It will take me a little while to gather everything for reloading but I am sure glad Lee provides a quality way to reload on a budget!!

Thanks for the website also, lots of info gleened here!

Randy

CastingFool
07-05-2014, 08:57 AM
A couple of years ago, I picked one of those presses on a trade. I eventually traded it off to someone else. Almost wished I had kept it, but then again, I got 8 lbs of Bullseye for it.

Green Frog
07-08-2014, 07:04 AM
A couple of years ago, I picked one of those presses on a trade. I eventually traded it off to someone else. Almost wished I had kept it, but then again, I got 8 lbs of Bullseye for it.

I'd trade one in a New York nanosecond for 8# of Bullseye! :D

Froggie

jebsca
07-09-2014, 10:40 PM
This is the press that I started out on. Still use it to resize as I set with the wife talking and watching tv. Reloading at work? Think I have the wrong job.

jhazelwood
09-10-2014, 08:06 PM
I wrapped Para cord on my handles and taped them, helps the hand out

McE1911
09-11-2014, 11:11 AM
I wrapped Para cord on my handles and taped them, helps the hand out

any pics? i'd like to see how it looks.

ballistim
12-13-2014, 06:20 PM
I've been using one since the 80's, it is the most used piece of reloading equipment I own & I have loaded countless rounds with it, often at the range from the tailgate of a truck. This is the only part I've had to replace;

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12/13/eeaa737a009c72e2332bfcf3fb33318b.jpg

I gave my first Lee hand press away after using it so much it had play in it, and wouldn't hold the shell holder in place any longer. I've kept all the moving parts on the one I now own well lubricated, and grease the ram, & am now using Mobil 1 synthetic grease & oil, just recently replaced this part above and it is working as well as it did the day I bought it long ago. I've held off on buying a new one with the breech lock, but am getting used to it on a newer Challenger press I am using on a HF bench I set up in the attic. Lee products are much better than a lot of reloading snobs would like to admit.

jmort
12-13-2014, 07:53 PM
I have both Challengers and Hand Presses with the Breechlock system. I like the system and it is complimentary to both presses.

Frank V
12-13-2014, 09:43 PM
Nice little presses, pretty usefull especially if you don't have a reloading bench set up or just want to tweak a load at the range.

deces
02-12-2019, 06:51 AM
Ben, You are absolutely right Sir. It is time I shared back some photos.
Please allow me to make amends.

My battle weary old Lee hand press grew a clamp.

http://home.earthlink.net/~pie/Sonny%27s/P9290226.JPG

And it grew a Lee Bullet feeder (http://www.titanreloading.com/press-accessories/lee-bullet-feed-kit-lee-feed-dies-fingers/45-cal-to-67-long-bullet-feed-kit-) and accessory 100 bullet feeder (http://www.titanreloading.com/press-accessories/lee-bullet-feed-kit-lee-feed-dies-fingers/multi-tube-feeder) in 45 caliber. It was an experiment, and I was willing to "force" the issue to yet another press if absolutely necessary.

http://home.earthlink.net/~pie/Sonny%27s/P9290227.JPG

(Most unfortunately, I can not use it on my RCBS 4X4, as I had hoped. It would have had a dual purpose then.)

Just yesterday I received the caliber change kit (http://www.titanreloading.com/press-accessories/lee-bullet-feed-kit-lee-feed-dies-fingers/9mm365-dia-to-75-long-feed-die-fingers) that is listed for 9mm and up to a .75 long (tall?) bullet. I needed the height for my 120 grain cast boolits, but I needed 30 caliber forks. As it turned out the forks are the same for 30 cal and in the change over kit I ordered. But the 9mm/.365 has the feed die throat needed for my boolits. As soon as the fork issue was resolved I fired in my order for the caliber change kit.

A 30 cal 120 grain in the forks:
http://home.earthlink.net/~pie/Sonny%27s/P9290228.JPG

And the same over the pusher ready to be fed into the sizer die.
http://home.earthlink.net/~pie/Sonny%27s/P9290229.JPG

(This is a boolit that is ready to load, but I'm using it for example. Also note how I have modified the sizer die to allow the forks to operate at the top end of the ram stroke.)

I functioned well over 500 cast 45's through with this before I added a knob to the actuator arm.

http://home.earthlink.net/~pie/Sonny%27s/P9290230.JPG

I broke one of the handles along the way and had the welder at work heliarc a repair and reinforcement into it after I had bead blasted and prepped it for him. Richard was an absolute artist with metals. (Decades ago now.)

http://home.earthlink.net/~pie/Sonny%27s/P9290232.JPG

http://home.earthlink.net/~pie/Sonny%27s/P9290231.JPG

So there ya have it, My Friend. Please excuse the kaos in the background. I never did have a "neat" shop. Basically, what is in use is generally on the top of the pile. :oops:
Sorry it took this long to respond. I have to do a ritual to get photos web ready and up on my URL.
I'm more than happy to share my ideas and triumphs concerning my tinkerings.
I know I have learned from you, and hopefully I have shared some ideas with you as well.
I have an interesting quirk. Probably 75% of my interest is in the methods and improvements, and 25% in the end results.
When my hands are busy, my mind is working on ways to improve what my hands are doing.

IT'S A MADHOUSE! A MADHOUSE! :holysheep :killingpc

But I have more fun than a barrel of monkeys.

I love my old Lee hand press. Battle weary as it may be, it's a workin still!

Any way you could repost the pictures please, your earthlinks are dead.

GhostHawk
02-12-2019, 08:10 AM
Mine is 5 years old, still going strong, still my favorite press by far.

gwpercle
02-13-2019, 06:21 PM
I found my Lee Hand Press so darned Handy... I bought a second !
The Lee Hand Press is one of Lee's best products...no more making noise with the Whack-A-Mole loader...load in the house or at the office...disturbance free.
Gary

W.R.Buchanan
02-13-2019, 06:58 PM
Gosh, If you's guys like the Lee Press so much,,, you'd really like the BPM Press which will stand up by itself,,,

and will never be Battle Weary!

Randy

Bazoo
02-13-2019, 07:37 PM
Gosh, If you's guys like the Lee Press so much,,, you'd really like the BPM Press which will stand up by itself,,,

and will never be Battle Weary!

Randy
I have not used your press, but have seen videos of it. I imagine it's wonderful, but it's the price that kills it for the common folk. If you could make an economy model, in the 125.00 range it'd sell well I think.

I'd like to try one but honestly I think it'd be more fumbly than the lee if you didn't have a table to work with. I work with my lee a lot outside setting on the ground or a stump. And I've done a fair amount on the couch with just two Tupperware tubs and the lee. I'm sure your press is better in terms of quality. If you ever offered a "copy" of the lee press with a few tweaks, that'd be the bees knees.

I mean no offence by the way!

Bazoo
02-13-2019, 07:46 PM
I enjoy being able to go outside and enjoy the sunshine and fresh air when using my hand press. Sometimes the wife will mow or piddle with her flowers and I'll "keep her company".

Brett Ross
02-14-2019, 07:38 PM
I bought a used one at a gun show a couple years ago, just got to use it last week at a friends house to make sure a 30 carb load would cycle, found it very handy.

brstevns
02-14-2019, 07:57 PM
Loaded thousands of rounds with it over the years. Mine is close to 20 years old

W.R.Buchanan
02-19-2019, 04:32 PM
I have not used your press, but have seen videos of it. I imagine it's wonderful, but it's the price that kills it for the common folk. If you could make an economy model, in the 125.00 range it'd sell well I think.

I'd like to try one but honestly I think it'd be more fumbly than the lee if you didn't have a table to work with. I work with my lee a lot outside setting on the ground or a stump. And I've done a fair amount on the couch with just two Tupperware tubs and the lee. I'm sure your press is better in terms of quality. If you ever offered a "copy" of the lee press with a few tweaks, that'd be the bees knees.

I mean no offence by the way!

Bazoo: None taken,,,, What you need to understand is that the Lee Press is made from aluminum castings and stamped parts. The cost of the parts on that tool are less than $10. The cost of my Machined Parts are more like $95/unit! I hand assemble every one. There is 37-38 parts in each one, and it takes about 45 minutes to go from parts to complete tool for each one. If there was a way to produce the same product for less,,, Believe me,,, I would do it.

I never intended it to be an "Economy Tool," I designed it to be the finest tool of it's type ever produced, and so far it looks like I succeeded,,, I've sold 160 units so far, and so far the only naysayers are people who have never seen or touched one. Everyone who actually handles the tool sees it's value.

You don't need a table to use it, it works just like a Lee Hand Press in that regard and I actually had a Lee Press in hand when I designed mine.

It will stand up by itself on either a table or a stump which the Lee Hand Press won't do, being able to clamp it to a table top just makes it easier to do many of the other operations associated with loading ammo.

After this you'll probably be ordering one soon. www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Something you can pass on to your grand children !

Randy

sghart3578
02-19-2019, 09:12 PM
I don't use my Lee hand press a lot but it fills a critical hole in my overall reloading scheme.

As an added bonus I got mine used at a flea market for $10. It looked brand new.

Steve in N CA

Alferd Packer
01-03-2020, 01:36 PM
This is probably the best one to come along over the years, It is strong, light and handy....does all the necessary operations. I've had two of them for a long time. The only minor pain for me has been that after around 10 decaps the shell holder has to be pulled to empty the spent primers, but it only takes a few seconds to do that. I'll probably get one of the newer ones soon just to have an extra around and make it a threesome. Lee did a good job with this tool. LLS
Just get a LEE decapping punch and something with a hole in it and punch out the primers.i just use a 3/8 nut or a 3/8 socket.
A hammer and a finishing nail that fits the primer hole and a board with a hole in it. The fired primers come out very easy.
Then, when you size the cases you never stop till you are done sizing.

rockrat
01-03-2020, 06:18 PM
Mine are about 30 years old. I will sit in my chair in the evening and size brass after I have lubed them. Usually do about 100 at a time.

mdi
01-04-2020, 01:06 PM
I don't have a Buchanan press, and my Lee press, while very handy, doesn't get used much anymore. I'm retired and like reloading, so I have no reason to reload at the range, besides my Co-Ax is a dream to use. From the pic of the Buchanan press I've seen, the press looks well designed, and sturdy (I'm a life long machinist/mechanic and can appreciate good designed tools) . I think if I needed a portable press (for travel, camping, etc.) I would seriously look at the Buchanan and the price I see, for a well made precision tool is not excessive. Good stuff cost more to make...

1hole
01-06-2020, 01:10 PM
I enjoy reloading but there's no way I'd ever load thousands of rounds with my Lee hand press, not with a couple of fine presses sitting on my bench. Sometimes when I'm developing a new load I'll make things easier by sizing and priming a few dozen cases at home. I then load and seat at the range as things come together.

Bazoo
01-06-2020, 06:13 PM
Hand presses are more enjoyable to me. I like trimming by hand also. For whatever reason I enjoy reloading more that way. I do use a bench press and trimmer as well as a lubesizer and powder measure. I like reloading outside when the weather is nice, specially next to a little campfire.

Bmi48219
01-08-2020, 06:58 PM
Just get a LEE decapping punch and something with a hole in it and punch out the primers.i just use a 3/8 nut or a 3/8 socket.
A hammer and a finishing nail that fits the primer hole and a board with a hole in it. The fired primers come out very easy.
Then, when you size the cases you never stop till you are done sizing.

I do ALL my depriming with Lee punch and base sets prior to cleaning the brass.
I countersunk a hole in top of a 4x4 with a paddle bit & drilled a 3/8th” angled hole from the center of countersunk hole to channel spent primers out the side of 4x4. Catch the spent primers in a container.
When everything is going right I can deprime 18 to 20 cases a minute without getting my sizing die dirty. One plus is you can tell how tight primer pocket is as you tap out spent primer.
After 5 or 10 thousand cases the pin in the punch will break, usually my fault. Not crazy about the new Lee punches that have a stepped end around the pin. They don’t self-center into the primer hole as good as the older straight diameter punches. A little slower to use.

Eddie Southgate
01-12-2020, 04:33 PM
I have one and use the 310 as well, would not be without either one . Don't know exactly how long I've had mine but I decided recently that I might want two more to give my sons and bout died of sticker shock when I saw the current price . I carried a kit including the Lee tool to work with me for years and there is no telling how many thousand rounds I loaded with it just at work . I load .38 spl and .38 S&W a thousand at a time and use the Lee to deprime and the Lee Priming tool to prime while I watch TV then load them later on the Tru Line . Never broken or worn out anything on the Loader but did manage to bust the pot metal lever on the priming tool.

GT1
02-11-2020, 10:39 PM
Whoa, a thread risen up from the dead.
It is hard to keep a good thing down and hidden. The Lee business concept has always been about great value for your dollar. The hand press is an outstanding example and it has no viable competition. Like thousands of other people I bought it to see if my interest in hand loading was real. I still have mine and keep it as a back up in case my LCT ever breaks down(never has).

Ben
02-16-2020, 10:15 AM
Fellows ,

I'm sorry for the blurred photos in the original post.
I wish I'd never used PhotoBucket !!!!!!!!

gwpercle
02-17-2020, 09:40 PM
Fellows ,

I'm sorry for the blurred photos in the original post.
I wish I'd never used PhotoBucket !!!!!!!!

That's OK Ben , that was 9 years ago and I'm over it now ... but since we are still talking about the Lee Hand Press I found it along with the little Lee Ram Prime unit make a great priming tool for those of us with hand strength issues or the mickey mouse (flimsy) primer seating tools Lee now sells .
With this set up seating primers is easy and there are no issues in using it ...the New Auto-Prime hand tool with the folding tray sits in it's box because it doesn't work ... the Ram Prime + Hand Press works like a charm and has replaced it .
Gary

Bazoo
02-17-2020, 09:48 PM
I use my hand press for priming with good satisfaction. I'm not super happy with lees ram prime unit though. It seems that it seats the primer slightly out of square on both the hand press and my spartan. Im looking to upgrade to one of the other brands of ram prime units and gift the lee on.

GhostHawk
02-17-2020, 10:13 PM
Almost 6 years now on my Lee hand press. It remains my favorite for most work. Only move up to a big press if I am sizing 7.62x54r or similar.

I deprime with a FA hand deprimer, prime with a pair of RCBS universal hand primers. One large, one small.
I have a small C type lee press for sizing/gas checks.

Hand press does everything else. IMO it does it with better control and "feel" than most presses.

Hogtamer
04-22-2020, 11:05 PM
I drilled 3holes in the base at an angle so I could screw mine upright to a wall to size .270. Great idea except I didn't lube the first case I was so anxious to see how it worked.....oops.

Cosmic_Charlie
04-28-2020, 09:32 AM
The idea of at the range load development is very attractive, particularly with straight walled cases.

Green Frog
04-28-2020, 10:00 AM
The idea of at the range load development is very attractive, particularly with straight walled cases.

I agree CC! A small tool box/bag with enough tools and supplies to load one or two calibers as they are being tested at the range sounds like a day in heaven! I don’t limit it to straight walled cases though as some of my rifles like to play too! :mrgreen:

While this thread is about the Lee Hand Press, but the concept is equally well suited to a variety of the real hand tools including the various other hand presses, the 310 Tool and its imitators, and the various Whack-a-Mole tools dating all the way back to the 19th century. I love ‘em all! :bigsmyl2:

Froggie

gwpercle
04-28-2020, 01:25 PM
I agree CC! A small tool box/bag with enough tools and supplies to load one or two calibers as they are being tested at the range sounds like a day in heaven! I don’t limit it to straight walled cases though as some of my rifles like to play too! :mrgreen:

While this thread is about the Lee Hand Press, but the concept is equally well suited to a variety of the real hand tools including the various other hand presses, the 310 Tool and its imitators, and the various Whack-a-Mole tools dating all the way back to the 19th century. I love ‘em all! :bigsmyl2:

Froggie

I would bring my "small bag" to the office and get a lot of important reloading work done at my office desk .
May not exactly be a day in heaven but it was good day at the office when you get some reloading chores done .
Gary

Green Frog
04-28-2020, 09:15 PM
I would bring my "small bag" to the office and get a lot of important reloading work done at my office desk .
May not exactly be a day in heaven but it was good day at the office when you get some reloading chores done .
Gary

True that! Almost makes me want to come out of retirement so I can slack off at the office! :bigsmyl2:

Froggie

W.R.Buchanan
04-29-2020, 04:56 PM

Froggie

Gosh Froggy,, what about mine?

Randy

Pressman
04-29-2020, 05:05 PM
Mr. Frog Person Sir, what Randy says above. That is the tool to have, you will never go back to Lee.

Green Frog
04-29-2020, 06:58 PM
Well, I’m a retired guy on fixed income, so I guess I’ll have to struggle along with my HDS Compac until I win my second lottery (I’ve already spent ahead to cover proceeds from the first one. ;) )

Need some advertising, Randy? OK, the Lee is a Kia and the Buchanan is a Ferrari! Both will get you from here to there, but there is a difference on how you feel at the end of the trip! [smilie=w:

Now, since the OP asked about the Lee, I’ll repeat that I had one, but had a chance to upgrade to the Huntington Die Specialties Compac, which is sort of a spiritual successor to Randy’s tool. I did perfectly fine with the Lee, but I prefer leather seats and more power in my cars, and I like little touches of quality in my reloading tools.

That’s my story and I’m sticking to it!

Froggie

Green Frog
04-29-2020, 07:26 PM
BTW, with my Lyman tong tool (310) I can carry everything I need to load caliber (including a small container of powder, some bullets and primers) in a cigar box. That’s what I regard a convenient package to carry. :mrgreen:

Froggie

Alferd Packer
04-30-2020, 02:05 AM
I do ALL my depriming with Lee punch and base sets prior to cleaning the brass.
I countersunk a hole in top of a 4x4 with a paddle bit & drilled a 3/8th” angled hole from the center of countersunk hole to channel spent primers out the side of 4x4. Catch the spent primers in a container.
When everything is going right I can deprime 18 to 20 cases a minute without getting my sizing die dirty. One plus is you can tell how tight primer pocket is as you tap out spent primer.
After 5 or 10 thousand cases the pin in the punch will break, usually my fault. Not crazy about the new Lee punches that have a stepped end around the pin. They don’t self-center into the primer hole as good as the older straight diameter punches. A little slower to use.

That self-centering you mentioned was bugging me one day so I wound some tape around the hand punch at the bottom above the pin so it had a loose fit, but closer to the size of the 45-70s I was decapping at the time.
The tape helped to self-center the punch and I didn't have to hunt for the primer hole.
Of course the punch won't fit smaller cases without pulling off the tape, but I have several LEE classic sets for most of my calibers so I can just grab another for the 38s and 32s.
But a scrap of notebook paper tightly wrapped around the punch and taped to secure works just as well.

Alferd Packer
04-30-2020, 02:30 AM
I use my hand press for priming with good satisfaction. I'm not super happy with lees ram prime unit though. It seems that it seats the primer slightly out of square on both the hand press and my spartan. Im looking to upgrade to one of the other brands of ram prime units and gift the lee on.
I don't know if it will work for you, but someone on another place had the same thing happen and complained to LEE about primers seating crooked.
LEE's reply was that some primer caps have a slight burr on the edges that is a manufacturing defect in that lot of primers.
He said when you encounter this you should seat the primer in a couple steps.
You do this by only seating the primer halfway by feel and then rotate the case 1/2 turn and seat deeper and let off just enough and give the case another 1/2 turn and finish the stroke.
It is actually very quick and easy, it takes much longer to tell how to do it, but its quick once you do it a few times and then it goes quicker.
I also read that many bench rest reloaders always seat their primers in this fashion to ensure even seating of the primers as well as correct alignment so as not to crack the dried priming compound in the primer.
But I've tried it and it does seem to seat the primer with less stress, but I'm not a bench rest shooter by any means.
I have noticed some lots of primers, or the cases are too tight, but the step method of priming overcomes this.
Especially noticeable with the hand press seating for sensitivity.

Bazoo
04-30-2020, 03:27 AM
Alfred, sir, thanks for the suggestion. I do very similar to what you describe. I seat, then turn the case and give it another bump to ensure it's seated squarely. I'll give your method a try next priming session.

I think it happens with both winchester and CCI primers, but I can't remember now. It does happen with different lots of CCI large pistol primers though for sure.

PhatForrest
05-04-2020, 07:24 PM
Just broke my second Lee hand press while sizing some 45acp. While not super durable in the long term, they are convenient.

Bazoo
05-04-2020, 09:00 PM
Just broke my second Lee hand press while sizing some 45acp. While not super durable in the long term, they are convenient.

Where did they break? Do you load rifle brass too on them or exclusively pistol brass?

Green Frog
05-04-2020, 09:13 PM

If you’re working your Lee presses hard enough to break them with just 45 ACP brass, either you’re doing tons of them or they are being expanded all out of spec upon firing. Is there more to the story you want to tell us? I didn’t keep mine because I got a better unit, but I can’t see myself breaking it!

Froggie

Rio Grande
05-15-2020, 04:51 PM
I use my Lee Hand Press exclusively, don't need another.
Loaded probably 2 or 3 thousand rounds through mine, rifle and pistol without any issues.
But then I load only a couple hundred max at a time. One day I'll size, next day expand, and so on.
I don't care for the bushings, loctighted one in, ha!
Guess I'm just old fashioned.

Silvercreek Farmer
05-15-2020, 07:42 PM
Gave the youngest boy mine the other day to size some boolits for the 357 rifle while he watched TV. Presto, 250 boolits sized!

Alferd Packer
04-02-2021, 07:19 AM
I bought my first Lee hand press for $13.95, used it, liked it, gave it to my son to spark his interest in reloading. I bought another, this time $19.95 and still use either it or my 310 tool, depending on the task at hand. I see now that the little Lee press is pushing 30 bucks or more and has this new feature. O.K....time to pony up the dough!

It's a good tool, well designed a amply strong enough for the job. As mentioned, the only drawback (and it's minor) is that you have to remember to empty the primers out of the ram. It's an easy task to learn though.....just forget once and after fumbling with tweezers, etc. you'll always remember after that!
To avoid removing primers I decap them with a collar and decapping pin before sizing them. It's so easy.

remy3424
04-02-2021, 08:31 AM
The only minor pain for me has been that after around 10 decaps the shell holder has to be pulled to empty the spent primers, but it only takes a few seconds to do that. LLS

I am not exactly sure, but mine will hold 40 spent primers (small) I was thinking....it is at least 20 years old I will guess, not sure if it is consider an old one. I did buy it used, maybe someone bored it out deeper for more capacity?

I only use mine for decapping, my Lee universal die never comes out of it. I decap prior to tumbling and then size. Very handy tool, but keep that on the down-low, lots of Lee haters here.

rbuck351
04-02-2021, 11:03 AM
I bored a 5/16 hole in the side of the ram at the bottom of the ram hole and just let them fall into a small waste basket. I have two and did one to see if I would like it and I do. My first one a bought was $19.95 and came with the Lee reloading book. The second was bought a couple months ago at an auction for $2. It was listed as a "red thing" as they had no idea what it is.