PDA

View Full Version : Face Shield for Smelting

wtfooptimax200
07-18-2011, 12:59 PM
I am looking for some type of face shield to use for smelting. I was thinking about one of the full plastic shields that one would wearing while grinding metal. The only issue that I foresee is fogging due to the heat present while smelting. Do you thinking a mesh face shield similar to the ones worn by lumberjacks would work? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
Branden

pmer
07-18-2011, 01:26 PM
I was smelting with a full face shield latley and fogging didn't seem to be a issue. I had a fan blowing air from the side though.

DukeInFlorida
07-19-2011, 06:55 AM
The type with the mesh works fine, especially if the Tinsel Fairy comes a visiting. Yoy can get them at lots of places, including:
http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=B19688

http://www.baileysonline.com/prod_images/B19688_L.jpg

squirrelnuttz
07-19-2011, 11:55 AM
I use the plastic full face shield for both smelting WW and casting boolits.Fogging has been a non issue.

30calflash
07-19-2011, 01:39 PM
I use the plastic full face shield for both smelting WW and casting boolits.Fogging has been a non issue.

Same here. Maybe a little sweating that you need to be aware of, so it doesn't land in the melt.

randyrat
07-19-2011, 05:40 PM
Look for a "Splash Shield" for mixing pesticides..Some go on a hard hat some just fit with out a hard hat. Some are full face and some are half.

mongo
07-19-2011, 06:45 PM
I use safety glasses and just keep my nose away from the pot. When it gets humid, like every day here I have a hard time keeping the glasses clear.

lesharris
07-19-2011, 07:58 PM
I have used the full plastic face shield while smelting.casting and bluing guns with hot salts method.
If you sweat alot then wear a head sweat band under the shield.
The shield flips up out of the way between pours etc.

Cowboy T
07-19-2011, 11:27 PM
Home Depot or Lowe's $15 full face shield does it for me while doing *any* casting. This also applies to reloading just in case a primer goes POW while still in the press. You've only got one face, and $15 is cheap insurance.

Mk42gunner
07-20-2011, 11:04 PM
I use a fullface plastic shield, usually with safety glasses under it when smelting.

I have to wonder if the mesh type will stop all particles of lead, or just break it down into smaller pieces.

Robert

milprileb
07-25-2011, 07:14 PM
Cowboy T has some videos casting with one on. They ought to show you its easy to use and no issues with fogging.

Hey if a Calif. Liberal can't fog a face shield, you ain't got a worry in the world !

Besides his videos will drive you nuts as he casts a jillion bullets with more motions than 7 people but he does drop a ton of them. Must be speed of his camera!