PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Deerfield .44 magnum

looseprojectile
07-18-2011, 04:39 AM
Carbine.
I think Ruger is starting to learn how to make rifles.
This one has 1 in 20 twist and basically a mini 14/30 type of bolt and gas piston and such. Regular Ballard rifling. Four round rotary magazine.
The manual cautions against using lead bullets as they will lead the gas ports.
My question is. Is this the same old BS?
Got the gun yesterday and I am laid up waiting for the roto rooter and stent in my right leg and won"t be able to shoot it for a week or two. [Can't walk].
I never have had any problem with leading in the ports in gas guns before. Is this ability to lead the ports something Ruger has devised and incorporated in their new guns? Like in new guns that they have discontinued?
I've got a couple of hundred Ranch Dog .44s loaded and will give it a test when I get on my feet. I just had to tell someone, thanks for listening.

Life is good

bandmiller2
07-18-2011, 08:03 AM
Loose p,probibly just a disclamer so their not responsible for anything.CZ says only use factory ammo,22 hornet you'd go broke,they know dang well most that buy their fine rifles are real riflemen and thus reloaders.Blast on my friend the worst would be having to clean a port once in a wile. Frank C.

pietro
07-18-2011, 07:15 PM
I think you oughta shoot lead boolits through that baby, til' it chokes - then, you can see for yourself exactly how much BS it is. :happy dance:

Fishman
07-19-2011, 11:29 PM
Is this a new gun? If so I didn't realize Ruger was still making them.

Ecramer
07-20-2011, 10:12 AM
The Deerfield is Ruger's replacement for the older, more elegant (and more fragile) Deerstalker carbine. As said above, the Deerfield has an action similar to a Mini-14/30.

I have one of the older ones, and it's gas system is complex enough that I don't shoot unjacketed bullets through it. It's possible it could digest a limited diet of cast boolits (excuse the earlier mis-spelling), but it isn't worth the hassle. I don't know about the new one -- the Mini-14 is pretty simple and I'd think it would be easy to clean lead out of it.

looseprojectile
07-31-2011, 02:41 PM
where does the lead come from that gets in the gas ports?
My boolits go out of the muzzle of the gun without having lost any lead.
When inspecting the fired boolits they appear to be the same boolits that I loaded except for the impression of the rifling.

I am sure that a cartridge could be made that would leave some lead in the gun but I have been able to avoid that.
Since I have been a member, reader, user of information discovered here on Cast Boolits I have been able to shoot cast boolits without any leading.
A bad place to start would be to load some of the soft lead swaged boolits offered by the major manufacturers. Those must be the lead boolits that the gun makers used to form their opinions and recomendations.

My Deerfield carbine is a used, nearly new gun that I traded for at the local gun show. Still have not shot it. I did find a set of scope rings and mounted a Leuopold 2-7 X 33 Rifleman scope on it.
I am anticipating that it will shoot my 2400 loads with Ranch Dog boolits made for the Rossi 92 .44 and the Super Blackhawk without any problems.

Life is good

pietro
08-04-2011, 06:45 PM
[I am anticipating that it will shoot my 2400 loads with Ranch Dog boolits made for the Rossi 92 .44 and the Super Blackhawk without any problems.]

Yeah, OK - Be sure to let us know how that works out for ya. [smilie=1: . :happy dance: