PDA

View Full Version : Good-bye to old friends

GOPHER SLAYER
07-17-2011, 11:51 PM
We have sold our rural home of fourteen years and we are moving into a senior community. The place we bought has no garage or workshop, that being the case, three old friends had to go, they being my lathe, mill and surface grinder. I had a garage sale this weekend and the man who bought them has a towing business so he showed up today and hauled them off. I couldn't resist taking pictures . I am also attaching a picture of the old homestead. Idon't know how my new neighbors will take to my bullet casting. I may have to sneak over to buckshots hous and steal some of his stash.

blackthorn
07-18-2011, 10:05 AM
I dread the day we have to move away from here! While not ideal (no place for a home range) our place is private enough (1.8 acres) that we dont have to put up with "living" with the neighbors. When we moved here almost 7 years ago I had a 30x40 shop built so I have a place to play. A couple of friends moved into a "gated comunity" and they cant do anything without catching h--- from the "strata natzies". I hate crowds of people!

mroliver77
07-18-2011, 02:45 PM
I have lived on this farm most of my life and all of my adult life. I grew up here. I brought my bride here. Raised my family here and plan on dying here if the Government lets me. I can pee in the yard if I want. I have a couple "junk" vehicles setting around. I have a 35' x 60' farm type barn with a shop inside for all my stuff. I can shoot out to 800 yards here and have set off cannons and large cans of Tannerite with no problems. The neighbors shoot and the one neighbors love fireworks( sometimes all night long!)

I just could not live close to others. 1/4 mile is too close but there are few other options these days.

Good luck to you. With the right casting setup even nosy neighbors will not know what your doing.
Jay

looseprojectile
07-18-2011, 06:11 PM
to a lot of us. The woman is talking about a condo.
It really is a chore to mow an acre and a half and maintain the water well and the old house needs a lot of repairs.
The only way for me is to put forth enough effort to maintain things well enough to keep the status quo.
I am holding on by a shoestring. The end is in sight I fear.
Hope you can live with your new digs.
Maybe we can send donations to Buckshot to accomodate you a little.

Life is good

9.3X62AL
07-18-2011, 06:30 PM
Glen--

Gotta say those photos are saddening for me to see. I understand the reasons for the move, but regret their necessity.

On the up-side, I had similar misgiving about moving into the condo we've occupied since moving to Ridgecrest 3 years ago. These were heightened by my accidental experiment that proved conclusively that a gun safe on a reefer dolly will set off live primers when its wheels roll over them. At 11 P.M. No panic ensued, a few neighbors came out and seemed both interested and amused by the occurrence.

Another up-side has been the local kids who stop by when they see the garage door open. I've become a bit of a stand-by Grandpa or Dad or sorts, or That Neighbor Who Does Cool Stuff per the local boys.

All in all, an upgrade from Cherry Valley in my case.

firefly1957
07-18-2011, 06:49 PM
I am sorry at your loss that equipment helps keep a person feeling useful on slow days and when a part just can not be found.

GOPHER SLAYER
07-18-2011, 07:07 PM
I failed to mention in my thread another reason for our move. Water is becoming very expensive in these parts. I paid the bill today and it was $ 186.07 for two months. They are telling us that we can keep watering our lawns but we are going to pay, big time. There are two reasons that I don't leave the state, one is our health insurance. My wife and I have an excellent policy and it is paid for by my old company. The only thing I pay for is a fifteen dollar co pay when we go to the Dr. Hospital stays are covered. Of course when Obozo care kicks in that will end. The other reason we can't leave the state is our Granddaughter lives about a mile from us. She is twelve years old and spent lots of time here on the property with us from the time she was a baby. It would just be too tough to move away. I remember when California was the finest place in the world to live. It is a crime what the libs have done to it, and to us.

shooter93
07-18-2011, 07:16 PM
Best of luck to you Glen, I'm sure it's truly like losing old friends.. I truly dread the day that I might have to give up my tools. When my father went downhill it was suggested by my siblings that his tools and equipment be sold as he would never use them again. No way.....I maintained all his things till he passed just he case he turned around and I promised my mother that as long as she wanted to stay in the they built by themselves I'd see she could no matter the cost. Getting older is no sin but it sure can be unhandy.

shooterg
07-18-2011, 07:22 PM
I'm on the last 80 acres of the family farm - they'll haveta kill me to keep me from dying here !!!

Phat Man Mike
07-18-2011, 09:47 PM
I'm going to hate when that day comes for me! we live on family land that's been owned by my aunt since the late 1940's she is still hanging on and doing good! :) but I sure feel for you on the move.

smoked turkey
07-18-2011, 10:51 PM
Glen;
It is sad to see some of the old stuff go that we used to couldn't live without. Sounds like you have the attitude to make it work good for you. As you turn the page and start another chapter of your life in the condo, I hope it is better than you imagined.

Catshooter
07-24-2011, 05:11 PM
Gopher,

Here's my solution to the lack of space problem.

http://i379.photobucket.com/albums/oo235/Catshooter45/Misc/th_IMG_5555.jpg (http://s379.photobucket.com/albums/oo235/Catshooter45/Misc/?action=view&current=IMG_5555.jpg)

That is a Sherline lathe. Seventeen inches between centers.

http://i379.photobucket.com/albums/oo235/Catshooter45/Misc/th_IMG_5554.jpg (http://s379.photobucket.com/albums/oo235/Catshooter45/Misc/?action=view&current=IMG_5554.jpg)

And that is my Sherline mill. I'm installing a scope rail onto a 22 inch H&R rifle barrel.

These machines are tiny, but very accurate. Sherline also makes lots of tooling. I use mine quite frequently.

Cat

Ozarklongshot
07-24-2011, 06:13 PM
I bought my grandfathers machine shop nearly 30 years ago. It was just south of flagstaff, I then left it there for him till he passed 3 years ago. I spent over a month every year there with him trying to learn all I could. People said I was crazy for not taking the equipment home to my shop and that I would lose it in the end. I learned so much in the last 20 years and yet I still wish I had 20 more with him. It was a sad day when we moved the mill and lathe back to Arkansas.
I live on the farm I grew up on and I hope to never have to leave. These stories break my heart and I pray many blessings on those of you that have had to leave the homes you love...

montana_charlie
07-28-2011, 06:50 PM
I didn't want to make a big deal about this, nor is it important enough to start a new thread.
So, I picked this old one that appears to be about to fade away in order to get this off my chest ...

Twelve years ago I picked my Buck out of a litter of Border Colies from a proven pair.
I acted as his assistant during the three years it took him to become an expert herder of cows.
He has been with me every day on my rounds of chores regardless of weather or time of day.
During the month-long periods when my wife would visit family in Spain, he was my sole companion and advisor.

Due to a variety of infirmaties brought on by old age and scuffling with animals of a thousand pounds, and because he had begun to snap at people for no reason ... I shot him, a month ago today.

I can type those words, but I still can't actually say them.

Thank you, Buck, for being my friend ...

CM

Catshooter
07-28-2011, 09:53 PM
Sorry for your loss Charlie. I feel your pain, I've lost two dogs and currently have four.

It sure doesn't take long for them to find a place in your heart, does it.

Cat

Heavy lead
07-28-2011, 10:03 PM
Sorry as well Charlie. It takes a brave man to do what one has to do with our canine companions. My heart feels your pain as I've been there sir.
It'll get better, sometimes doing the right thing just plain hurts.