PDA

View Full Version : Guide gun problem

crabo
07-17-2011, 11:18 PM
I took my BIL's guide gun apart to relieve the loading gate, and put it back together. Everything worked fine. It didn't load as easily as mine, so I knew he would squawk, so I took it apart and thinnd the spring a little.

I cannot cycle a loaded round through the gun now. As the cartridge leaves the tube, it hangs up half way out of the tube and locks everything up. This makes no sense.

What am I missing? It cycles fine without a cartridge in it, but put one in and it jambs up.

Thanks,

Fredx10sen
07-18-2011, 12:41 AM
Ya might try and see if there is any rust in the mag tube or spring that might be hanging up the spring. Just a wild guess from this end. Had it happen on a 357 lever once. Now I always check the Mag tube and the spring for gunk or rust.

btroj
07-18-2011, 07:11 AM
Does the loading gate stick into the action a bit now? I would think it would be easy to remove a bit too much from the loading gate "spring" which might allow to bend. This would make the gate stick into the action just a bit but it might be enough that the rim of the case is catching on it?
Not sure that is the trouble but it could be.

Ben
07-18-2011, 08:44 AM
Seems to me that if all your did is thin the spring and the gun worked prior to the thinning , that the thin spring is now the issue.

I'd look to see if the loading gate is clear when a cartridge is moving rearward from the mag tube.

PacMan
07-18-2011, 09:11 AM
Exactly the reason i bend them instead of thinning.Hard as hech to put it back on. I have done three just by bending them a little and they worked perfect.
If you did remove too much you might still be able to bend it enough to get back in business.

btroj
07-18-2011, 09:13 PM
I find loading the bigger cartridges in a Marlin to be quite easy. I would much rather load a magazine full of 45-70 than 32-20. Those little ones are a pain.

ghh3rd
07-21-2011, 04:24 PM
Perhaps you can swap the spring from his with yours, and see what happens.

crabo
07-23-2011, 01:32 AM
I used a punch and bent the spring back in, while it was mounted, and now it works fine. I guess I got too much bow in it while I thinned it, and it was hanging up the shell. Works great now.