PDA

View Full Version : Shorthair Vs. Treadmill

mpbarry1
07-17-2011, 09:12 PM
I have a german shorthair that goes by sweetheart. She is no kidding the most athletic dog i have ever seen. She runs 40 mph, jumps 10 feet high, and runs 20 mph as long as i want to drive (usually about 12 miles). I actually saw her turn antelope one time (and to my displeasure, I had a witness).

I had the bright idea to try a treadmill to relieve her of some of that energy, so a friend of mine just gave me one.

I fired up the machine, got the dog in, but a leash on her and she immediately jumped over the front of the machine nearly hanging herself. She is a dog that can't get her head far enough under the couch cushion when it thundering outside, so I should have expected that she would have issues.

Do any of you have a dog you exercise on a treadmill? I could use some advice on how to get her used to the idea. She will either hurt herself or me. I would have a hard time explaining to the staff at grande ronde hospital why my dang dog had sent me up there for the third time. :groner:

Gunload Master
07-17-2011, 09:31 PM
I got two German shorthairs, one is about 12 years old and one is about 12 weeks old. They are balls of energy.

blackthorn
07-18-2011, 10:11 AM
Is the dog trained to "heel"? If so maybe start out slow and have her on the TM behind you. Dont know---might work.

Gswain
07-18-2011, 10:15 AM
Use hotdogs as a treat, and build some walls on the sides of the treadmill. start off by just getting her to sit on the treadmill when its not moving, reinforce with praise, give treat. straddle her with your legs, hold leash firmly, and turn treadmill on slowest speed setting. praise/treat. you may have to hold her firmly with the very short leash until she gets the idea that it isnt going to eat her or kill her. increase speed from there.

WILCO
07-18-2011, 10:26 AM
Try running a length of rope across the base of the handle/poles with a loop, "D" ring or other device in the center of the rope. Make sure it's her kneck height and attach her to the first rope with an even shorter rope to the collar. This will keep her in the center of the treadmill while preventing her from jumping, flying off to the sides. I used this same method to keep my dogs in the back of the pick-up truck while driving. It should work for you. As for wearing her down, forget it. That's just the breed and temperment of the animal.

redneckdan
07-18-2011, 10:55 AM
I grew up with short hairs. I got the idea once to try walking them with roller blades on. Got one all harnessed up, told my dad to turn the dog loose. I proceeded to blow through every cross walk, stop sign and intersection for about a mile and a half before I could get him slowed down. I upgraded to a mountain bike, better brakes. No jokes we would go for a 15 miles ride at a brisk pace, come home for 30 minutes rest and the dog would be ready to go again. Started out using a 20 foot lead attached to the bike but after a few times getting at the rope into the front wheels at a full on sprint I started running the dog loose and they would stay close just like hunting.

jsizemore
07-18-2011, 06:56 PM
See if there is a canine club in your area that does an endurance test. That ought to wear her out.

I used to condition a dog sensitive to loud noises by taking them to a skeet and trap range. Start at a distance that is agreeable to the dog and slowly work your way closer. I've had to start at 1/2 mile and took 2 months to sit behind the firing line and watch while he napped. That's 3-4 times a week. After a training session we would go and play with their favorite toy. Agreeable means looking at the source of noice and not turn away. Don't make a big deal about the noise by encourgement or correction. Act like it's an everyday occurance. Most skeet and trap shooters are happy to help you train your dog.