PDA

View Full Version : Update On .303 Load With No Lube

oksmle
01-11-2007, 03:21 AM
A while back on a particular thread, during our usual wandering away from & eventual return to the main topic, I mentioned a .303 load I was working on in which I used no lube. I received a couple of PMs & a couple of phone calls from folks asking me to report on my findings. I told them I wanted to fire about 800 rounds to satisfy myself that what I was experiencing wasn't a fluke. Yesterday I fired number 770 with the intention of going to the range this weekend & running the last 30 through the rifle. Since it looks as though Oklahoma will be covered in ice this weekend, & I don't have time to get to the range before then, I thought I'd go ahead & let you know my findings.
The rifle is a "scratch-built" No.1 Mk III SMLE I assembled from parts left over from other stuff I had worked on. The barrel is new surplus & instead of simply screwing it into the receiver I took one turn off the breech end & finished the chamber to minimum SAMI specs. Then I eased the throat just a tad to make it easier on cast boolits. After working on the trigger it breaks right at 4 pounds. The first 50 rounds (which didn't count in the 770) were fire lapping rounds.
The Load: NEI #72 cast of straight WWs at .313", & weighing 163.0 grs. Annealed Hornady GC sized at .314". 23.0 grs Surplus 4895 dropped from my RCBS powder dispenser topped by 1.6cc PSB dipped with a Lee dipper. This is a lightly compressed load. Remington 9 1/2 primers & a light Lee crimp. OAL - 2.936". The front driving band just barely touches the throat when chambered. Sixty new Remington cases reamed, turned & prepped then dedicated to this rifle. After the first firing they weren't even neck sized thereafter. Just belled a bit to accept the GC snugly. After 30 or 40 rounds I noticed a leading condition devloping at the junction of the lands & grooves. My cleaning was two dry patches run through the bore after however many rounds I fired that particular day. Sometimes it was twenty & sometimes sixty. But the condition never got any worse & I never picked up lead on my patches. The only way you can see it is to shine a flash light at an angle across the muzzle. And the top of the lands & bottom of the grooves are clean with no lead accumulation at all.... Maybe because of the fire lapping.
The largest ten shot group fired measured 2.772" & the smallest (fired yesterday) was 1.324" (with an internal six round group of 0.635").
I'm not suggesting that everyone who owns a SMLE should try this load, but it will probably be the only load this particular rifle will ever see.

oksmle

sundog
01-12-2007, 10:18 AM
Oksmle, your post did not go unnoticed. Hooah! These old gals will dance, won't they?

About the ice storm and the load. Yea, it's gonna be really crappy for a few days, bad enough that wide spread power outages are a good possibility, predicting possible 2" ice accumlation up and down the I-44 corridor. When I left the house this moring it was 42dF and misting. When I got to Tulsa traveling NW it was 32. It was in the 50s when I got up around 5:30. We may not get to shoot our monthly mil bolt match tomorrow, but if it's safe enough to get out to the range I may go shoot out of the all wx shooting building anyway.

I've been fooling around with surp 4895 in the .308 and getting very good results. So, I thought (I do that ocassionally) how about the Brit. I kinda was working around 26.0/4895 and 1.3cc of PSB (yup, Lee dippers here, too). My cases are prepped, boolits are prepped, so all I have to do is assemble for tomorrow's match. Between now and this evening I'll think over backing off a little to your load. sundog

mag_01
01-12-2007, 12:17 PM
I believe you will find the PSB (precision shot buffer) a shotgun buffer is responsible to a great degree of your success and of course the work and effort you went thru to prepare this rifle for your testing. Good job. I have read that PSB coats the bore and actually improves accuracy. Oksmle what you have done is what this board is all about-----Mag

Nelsdou44
01-13-2007, 08:54 PM
Oksmle,

Congrats on some fine results. How fine of a grit did you use on the fire-lapping?

I've fire-lapped a 6.5 barrel with soft lead and 320 grit for 30 rounds. Kinda wondered to stop there or do a few more.

Nels

oksmle
01-14-2007, 02:58 AM
Nels .... The compound used on this SMLE was some LBT stuff I've had for many years. Don't know what grit it is but it feels more aggresive than the 320 I have on hand. In my 6.5 Jap I wanted to smooth the bore without enlarging the already long throat, so I used about 30 FMJs impregnated with 320 & it did a pretty good job. Made cleaning much easier.

oksmle