PDA

View Full Version : Which bullet for 9 mm?

woody2
07-17-2011, 01:54 PM
Recently acquired a compact 9 mm with a 3" bbl and am trying to decide which cast bullet to use for a practice round. I'm thinking the RCBS 115 gr RN but haven't had any experience with the 9 so I don't know if that is a good choice. Any thoughts?

Also up in the air on a mold. I have several RCBS 2 and 4 cavity molds so I'd like to stick with them so I can use the handles I have now. Also prefer a 4 cavity but haven't been able to find an RCBS 4 cavity mold. Lyman lists one but does anyone know if the RCBS handles will fit the Lyman mold?

Any info will be appreciated.

bhn22
07-17-2011, 02:11 PM
RCBS doesn't offer a 4 cavity mould. They never have, much to the dismay of many people. RCBS handles won't work on a 4 cavity Lyman mould, there are too many differences to make it work. I usually buy two identical RCBS moulds and cast in pairs with them. It seems to be a little faster than a 4 cavity anyway, and 4 cavity moulds are heavy anyway. For a practice bullet, consider something around 124 grains or heavier. This is my personal preference after getting really frustrated dealing with lightweight bullets in 9mm. I would advise you to do some searches on casting 9mm bullets on these boards, the 9mm has proven to be one of the most difficult calibers to cast for. Everything has to be right on the 9mm, alloy, powder, crimp, bullet diameter (hint: start at .358 or so and work down if necessary). By all means, do a lot of research here before buying anything, and ask all the questions you want.

mooman76
07-17-2011, 02:41 PM
Hard to go wrong with a RN or TC bullet in cast. (mm can be a little harder to do in cast like stated but it is certainly doable. Stay away from top end loads can help since the pressures are a little higher and it can help with the leading but if you go too low, your gun may not cycle.

MtGun44
07-17-2011, 02:52 PM
Please read the stickies, esp the one on 9mm. Make your life easier.

Lee 356 - 120 TC is a top choice, as is 358 105 SWC.

Bill

bhn22
07-17-2011, 07:22 PM
Also read this, if you haven't already...

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=121018

woody2
07-18-2011, 01:25 AM
Thanks for all the help. I had no idea the 9 was so particular about cast bullets. I've been casting for the .38/.357 and the .45 for many years and have never had a problem so the link to the 9 mm thread was a real eye opener. The 9 is an occasional carry weapon since a .38 is my normal choice for carry. Think I'll just buy jacketed bullets for the 9 and not worry about casting since I anticipate only a few hundred rounds per year through it.

Shiloh
07-18-2011, 06:14 AM
Thanks for all the help. I had no idea the 9 was so particular about cast bullets. I've been casting for the .38/.357 and the .45 for many years and have never had a problem so the link to the 9 mm thread was a real eye opener.

The 9mm was the most difficult boolit so far to get to shoot accurately without tumbling. Most cast too small. The LEE 124 RN is the only boolit so far that cast large enough to shoot well. my other three 9mm molds run just barely over .356.
I size mine at .358

The other calibers you mentioned were a breeze to get shooting well.

Shiloh

milprileb
07-19-2011, 09:17 AM
Everything has to be right on the 9mm, alloy, powder, crimp, bullet diameter (hint: start at .358 or so and work down if necessary)

Woody the above captures the drama I had (see my thread 9mm, the flat tire that never ends).

9mm was a totally different experience than what my reloading / casting has been for 45 acp, 38/357 and 44 Mag.

That said: I think you ought to reconsider and do cast 9mm bullets and enjoy the economy of scale . Shooting less is not a solution ! If I had read ahead on 9mm loads and casting on this board, I would have begun with .358 sizing dies (not .356) and a better alloy. I have found RN and TC model Lee molds to drop entirely satisfactory bullets for high volume accurate shooting at 25 and 50 yards.

If the facts laid bare that 9mm is a bronco round to cast and reload for distracts you from doing so.... don't let it. Saddle up and ride , its worth it.

woody2
07-19-2011, 07:45 PM
Everything has to be right on the 9mm, alloy, powder, crimp, bullet diameter (hint: start at .358 or so and work down if necessary)

Woody the above captures the drama I had (see my thread 9mm, the flat tire that never ends).

9mm was a totally different experience than what my reloading / casting has been for 45 acp, 38/357 and 44 Mag.

That said: I think you ought to reconsider and do cast 9mm bullets and enjoy the economy of scale . Shooting less is not a solution ! If I had read ahead on 9mm loads and casting on this board, I would have begun with .358 sizing dies (not .356) and a better alloy. I have found RN and TC model Lee molds to drop entirely satisfactory bullets for high volume accurate shooting at 25 and 50 yards.

If the facts laid bare that 9mm is a bronco round to cast and reload for distracts you from doing so.... don't let it. Saddle up and ride , its worth it.

I do appreciate your comments and especially your thread on the trials and tribulations of casting for the 9 mm. You really helped put my goals for the 9 in perspective and I'd like to explain my position.

The weapon, a SA EMP, is my new carry piece and I expect to fire just enough practice rounds through it to remain proficient. My workhorse handguns are a Colt .357 Trooper and a USGI surplus 1911A1 .45. I cast for both of these weapons and have done so for nearly 50 years. My real loves, though, are the M1and M1A. I shoot handguns simply to remain proficient with them. Recreational shooting centers on the rifles and I have spent many hours working up loads for them. For the cost of a set of molds and a couple of lubrisizer dies I can buy more jacketed 9 mils than I'll shoot in the remainder of my lifetime so there's no economic advantage to casting for the 9 and it gives me more time to load for the rifles. Whether or not I load for the 9 won't affect how much I shoot it and based on the above I don't see an advantage to casting for it.

Thanks for your comments, though. I'd agree with you if it was my only handgun.

MtGun44
07-19-2011, 10:19 PM
HMMMM. I'd bet that if you buy a 2 cav 356 120 TC, cast with air cooled wheel weight
alloy, size it to .358 and load over a normal charge of Unique, you'll have your load with
no big effort. I think the difficulty of 9mm is a bit overblown.

Yes, many struggle, but using proper methods avoids most problems. I had zero problems
with developing a 9mm load, but started with some knowledge from others that helped
avoid problems.

Bill

noylj
07-19-2011, 10:55 PM
1) I prefer L-SWCs. More accurate than RN.
2) I prefer weight of 115-124gn
3) Lyman makes an EXCELLENT 147gn cast bullet
4) Slug your bore. Forget sizing. Bigger will almost always be better. At a minimum, bullet must be 0.001" over barrel groove diameter.
5) tumble lube with LLA is adequate. Pan lubing with BAC is excellent.
6) If you decide that you have to size, go with the Lee or Star sizer.
7) Must find COL that works in your gun. My guns are happiest with long COL. Remember, any COL in a loading manuals is to be taken as the MINIMUM COL.
8) If you want light target loads, go with AA2, 231/HP38, AA5, Bullseye, N320. If you want factory equivalent loads, look to Power Pistol, Silhouette, AA7, WSF, Blue Dot, True Blue.
9) I have found that even with commercial lead bullets, it is often best to tumble lube them in LLA or Xlox (White Label Lube). This is particularly true if you are getting any leading.

I consider the 9x19 to be the worst cartridge to begin reloading (the body taper can be a problem and the small case can cause hugh pressure spikes if there is any bullet set-back) and one of the worst for lead bullets. Groove diameter of 9mm barrels will go from 0.355 to 0.362. If 0.358 or larger, you will have a hard time getting very good accuracy with lead.

bullpen7979
07-19-2011, 11:23 PM
FWIW, I just cast several hundred of the Lee 356-125-2R boolit a few days ago; another shooter on the forum was kind enough to send me 100 of the TC design for just the cost of postage; I'd be glad to send you some of the round nose I have. I have to get them sized to .358 yet
(the jpw formula is in the kitchen melting as I type this.) After I got them pan lubed I could send you a few if you thought it would help. Or, ...whatever.. I could just send them as cast and you give 'em the treatment as you see fit.

Regards,

bull