PDA

View Full Version : Rossi Lever action

dromia
07-17-2011, 08:52 AM
I have Rossi lever action in in .357 magnum. It shoots very well but will only load four rounds, if I put more into the tube then when I work the lever to load the round it doesn't lift its nose up to the chamber and the bolt doesn't pick the round up when the action is worked.

Load three rounds and it functions fine, its almost as though the round to be loaded is jammed by the round behind it.

Any one have any experience of this problem, if so is it a home fix or a gunsmith job bearing in mind I'm no engineeer.

Any advice appreciated.

fecmech
07-17-2011, 09:15 AM
I would take the cap off the end of the tube and clean it out good along with a good visual check. If no joy I would shorten the mag tube spring so that only 6-8" of it protrude from the tube in relaxed state. Good luck!

Stevie
07-17-2011, 09:53 AM
Could be a crudded up or damaged cartridge stop...or a broken cartridge stop spring.

The cartridge stop is pinned onto the front of the left side shell guide and has a leaf spring behind it to power it. The cartridge stop's job is to stop the ammo in the tube from interfering with the cartridge on the shell lifter....if it ain't working right...the next round in the tube magazine will block the cartridge/shell lifter from moving.