PDA

View Full Version : .243 Ackley Improved Dies

no34570
07-17-2011, 05:04 AM
Hi
Was wondering,do any of you,know a good brand of reloading dies,for the .243 Ackley Improved,I have been using my plain .243W dies,but now I need to get a FL die to fully resize my cases.
I was hoping Lee did some,but no,they don't
Any other makers do this cal?
TIA:coffeecom

DLCTEX
07-17-2011, 10:19 AM
I think RCBS makes one.

seagiant
07-17-2011, 11:29 AM
Hi,
If it was me and I had a rifle in a wildcat I would probably see what Dave had at CH Tool,excellent craftmanship! I always see if there are any CH dies for sale at gunshows and gunshops in the used bin and will grab them if I can. Here is an older set of 22-250 dies

PacMan
07-17-2011, 12:54 PM
Redding may have them instock. I got my 244 AI (6mm imp) from them about 10 years ago and they are perfect.
Not surre about the 243 AI but the 244 has two diffrent shoulder angles Just somthing to keep in mind.
Dwight

littlejack
07-17-2011, 04:05 PM
TIA:
I bought a set of 8mm-06 AI dies from RCBS a few years ago. 129.00.
Get your wallet out, and dig deep.
Jack

Nobade
07-17-2011, 04:16 PM
Redding makes them, and Midway or Graf's usually has them in stock. Not too pricey, way less than the RCBS ones.

seagiant
07-17-2011, 04:48 PM
Hi,
Yea, CH Tool and Die want $80 and they can make them to your chamber also. Not really useful to a guy living down under but something nice for statesiders!

no34570
07-17-2011, 06:08 PM
Hi,
Yea, CH Tool and Die want $80 and they can make them to your chamber also. Not really useful to a guy living down under but something nice for statesiders!
You got that right ;)
Have a set of Ch Dies in 45/70,good dies,very well made,I remember about 18 years ago,when I purchased them,they were,then $125.00AUD,but I wanted them and that is all the dealer had at the time:groner:

no34570
07-17-2011, 06:10 PM
Redding makes them, and Midway or Graf's usually has them in stock. Not too pricey, way less than the RCBS ones.
Don't think Midway or Grafs would send to Australia,would they?
I asked Graf's about a extended shellholder,no reply back :cry:

no34570
07-17-2011, 06:12 PM
I'll check out a few companies and see.
I also just remembered,that my reloading stuff is mainly Simplex(Aussie brand)if I can find the phone number,I'll give them a call,if they are still in business.
Thanks for all the help ;)

GabbyM
07-17-2011, 09:18 PM
For my 243 AI rifles I bought a Redding type S bushing neck set with body die.
I like the body die for FL sizing for a couple reasons.
First reason is when I went to AI chamber it was new barrels to replace standard 243 Win rifle that had shot out during a prairie dog shoot. Had over 100 loaded rounds left that I suspected would not chamber in a newly cut chamber. I was right. Just ran the old loaded rounds through the body die and good to go in the new gun. That was after I tried to load one just to see and stuck it. AI chambers will stick really hard I found out. Busted the bolt handle off my Rem 700 when struck with my shoe. Real Gomer Pile moment there.

I neck turn to uniform, not reducing neck wall thickness below typical minimum just knocking off any high spots. Then use a bushing that requires less than .001” to zero on the expander button for jacketed then for cast the same Type S die neck bushing with no expander button installed then a second step Lyman M die to prep the neck.

With the hand turned Clymer reamer chamber and the bushing dies the necks get worked very little. It’s not a tight neck chamber but with over sized cast boolits it’s a minimum chamber. Already owned pin mic and such for neck wall thickness measurement in my machinist chest. Still have a $ fat $ investment in the 243 AI. Pretty happy so far. Just hopping slightly reduced load J bullets and cast for paper play will give me nice barrel life. Plan is to clock the J bullets to standard 243 Win Published velocity and stop there to save barrels and brass $

PS
Down at Effingham , IL club the BPCR shooters left a 500 yard Buffalo standing. I took it down with an 87 grain V-Max over full charge non fire formed 243 Win load. Aimed to hit it high and the Buff went down fast. I was somewhat surprised a 243 could even knock one over. I’m easily entertained.

no34570
07-18-2011, 06:38 PM
For my 243 AI rifles I bought a Redding type S bushing neck set with body die.
I like the body die for FL sizing for a couple reasons.
First reason is when I went to AI chamber it was new barrels to replace standard 243 Win rifle that had shot out during a prairie dog shoot. Had over 100 loaded rounds left that I suspected would not chamber in a newly cut chamber. I was right. Just ran the old loaded rounds through the body die and good to go in the new gun. That was after I tried to load one just to see and stuck it. AI chambers will stick really hard I found out. Busted the bolt handle off my Rem 700 when struck with my shoe. Real Gomer Pile moment there.

I neck turn to uniform, not reducing neck wall thickness below typical minimum just knocking off any high spots. Then use a bushing that requires less than .001” to zero on the expander button for jacketed then for cast the same Type S die neck bushing with no expander button installed then a second step Lyman M die to prep the neck.

With the hand turned Clymer reamer chamber and the bushing dies the necks get worked very little. It’s not a tight neck chamber but with over sized cast boolits it’s a minimum chamber. Already owned pin mic and such for neck wall thickness measurement in my machinist chest. Still have a $ fat $ investment in the 243 AI. Pretty happy so far. Just hopping slightly reduced load J bullets and cast for paper play will give me nice barrel life. Plan is to clock the J bullets to standard 243 Win Published velocity and stop there to save barrels and brass $

PS
Down at Effingham , IL club the BPCR shooters left a 500 yard Buffalo standing. I took it down with an 87 grain V-Max over full charge non fire formed 243 Win load. Aimed to hit it high and the Buff went down fast. I was somewhat surprised a 243 could even knock one over. I’m easily entertained.
Got a reply back from Redding,they would rather not sell to me as "it is a hassle for us"so will go with my local dealer.
I'm easily entertained too mate,don't be surprised,the 243 is a beaut calibre mate,that is the cal,that NATO should have gone with.

Southern Son
07-20-2011, 04:50 AM
no34570,
Mate, try Queensland Gun Exchange. I was there a few months back and I saw they had a bunch of Redding Dies in Wildcat calibers. I am not sure, but I think that there may have even been some 243AI dies there. I finally got a full length sizing die for my 22/250AI (now that I think of it, my die is made by Hornady). If Qld Gun Exchange cannot help, then I have had very good experiences with Brownells in the USA.