PDA

View Full Version : Alloy mix question?

dromia
07-17-2011, 01:11 AM
I have the opportunity of getting some babbitt type alloy made up for me and I'm interested in the copper content to help with ductility/malleability of my HV boolits.

I'm looking at a lead based alloy as I have plenty of tin so don't need the extra cost, some antimony and arsenic wouldn't go amiss in it so any suggestions on percentages for this alloy especially in relation to the copper content would be appreciated.

runfiverun
07-17-2011, 01:47 PM
i'd keep the copper content low.
you can keep it suspended in the alloy okay if you use a high tin content and some heat [which will tend to oxidize the tin]
if i were buying and mixing an alloy for everyday general use i would look for something that was 1-1.5% tin 3% antimony .5% copper and about .20 on the arsenic.
this would give you a malleable, heat treatable alloy.
good for revolver pistol and rifle use and with waterdropping or oven heat treating you could go from 10-12bhn to 18- 20 to 24-28 or so bhn.
and still have the ability to mix soft lead in and change those numbers like 50-50 and water drop for about 15 bhn or even 3-1 for @ 9 bhn air cooled.

dromia
07-17-2011, 02:32 PM
Thaks Runfiverun so that would be a casting alloy, I'm looking for something to have on hand to sweeten up existing alloys for HV so would I increase the copper content accordingly and reduce the lead?

lwknight
07-17-2011, 04:51 PM
The 303guy was experimenting with disolving copper into the alloy.
Give him a buzz.