PDA

View Full Version : A couple things I noticed about my Star

David R
01-10-2007, 09:27 PM
I bought a star a few months ago. I have not had much time to use it, but found out a few things compared to my Lyman 450.

First I can size rifle boolits and leave the gas check shank with out lube. This should let the gas check scrape out any stuff left in the barrel leaving it clean for the next shot.

Next I found that boolit gets sized the whole boolit. With my 38, I was sizing the group buy Kieth type boolit to 358 in the Lyman 450. The boolit would not chamber in my gun because the front driving band was still too big. The star omits that problem.

Next I sized a bunch of 452460 for my 45 auto. I used to load so the cartridge headspaced on the boolit. Adjust OAL so the boolit just bumps the throat and the case is just sticking out of the hood. Now I can load them longer, still using a 452 sizing die and the boolit slides into the throat with a light push of my fingers and headspaces on the case. MY wilson barrel fitted to MY gun leaves the case just sticking out past the hood with no boolit, so the boolit gets a nice gentle STRAIGHT start in the barrel. This should improve accuracy, but I have no way to be sure because my handgun bench rest technique in not good.

And yes it does tripple production.

David

454PB
01-10-2007, 10:48 PM
That sizing of the front of the boolit has been a problem for me as well. I used to size twice in my Lymans to avoid getting lube in the crimp grooves.......one pass to lube and one deeper pass to size the front. The Star eliminates the problem.