PDA

View Full Version : Hornady lock and load AP info needed

Pete P
07-16-2011, 04:55 PM
Does anyone have the lock and load AP? I was wondering how you like it? And how it compares to one of the Dillions? I'm not quite sure what comes with the press. And what else would be needed. my concern is about the powder measure, does it come with it and what else is needed to make it complete. I am thinking about purchasing one for 9mm.

Thanks

Circuit Rider
07-16-2011, 05:11 PM
Pete P PM inbound

noylj
07-16-2011, 08:17 PM
If I don't need a case feeder, I would get the Hornady. If I just had to have a case feeder, I would get the Dillon 650. The Dillon was designed for the case feeder and is not fun to use without one. The Hornady is a joy to use without one and it is a bit more complicated in terms of tooling to install and work with.
The Hornady simply requires a shellplate and die swap-out for
caliber conversion. The Dillon conversion is more extensive and costs more. The use of die bushings on the Hornady makes die swap-out very simple and very fast. On the Dillon, you would need to swap-out a much more expensive toolhead.
I put the SDB and 550 down with the Lee's. I need a 5-station press and auto-indexing and none of those meet both criteria.
I have been loading with a Hornady AP for about 30 years and never felt a need to try another press. I have loaded on a 550 and 650 and just wanted to get back to my Hornady.
Currently, I have three Dillon 1050s and my son has my L-N-L.
Unless you REALLY need it, the 1050 should not be on your shopping list.

Colorado4wheel
07-17-2011, 10:51 PM
9mm can be problematic with the LnL and the Casefeeder. Having owned a 550 and then a LnL and now a 650 I recommend going with the Dillon.

Waldog
07-18-2011, 12:01 AM
I have a LNL and have loaded at least 6000 rounds of 9mm. My press runs smoothly, AS LONG AS, I THROW OUT ALL S&B AND AMERC BRASS. With a case feeder I can load 100 round of 9mm, (124GR Montana Gold, 4.3 gr HP-38) in 9 minutes.

blaser.306
07-18-2011, 12:11 AM
short answer . I love mine, and it the older model with the ejector wire . The new AP with ez-ject comes with everything you need , small and large powder meter assy's . and there tech help if you need it is second to none , As well as there warranty .

Colorado4wheel
07-18-2011, 06:30 PM
I have a LNL and have loaded at least 6000 rounds of 9mm. My press runs smoothly, AS LONG AS, I THROW OUT ALL S&B AND AMERC BRASS. With a case feeder I can load 100 round of 9mm, (124GR Montana Gold, 4.3 gr HP-38) in 9 minutes.

I'm glad you posted it like that. My LnL was fine (not as good as my 650 or 550 but OK) at that pace. I load at 100rds in 8mins on my 550 with out a casefeeder so when I got the LnL with the casefeeder I expected more from it. But if I tried to push past about the 7 min mark it would fail regularly (and the failures I had at a slower pace became worse). My 650 with a casefeeder can load 100rds in 5 mins and it doesn't have any problems doing it. Not trying to start a fight. Just trying to state that I think that is why some people love the LnL and some people don't.

Waldog
07-18-2011, 08:27 PM
....Not trying to start a fight. Just trying to state that I think that is why some people love the LnL and some people don't.

Your absolutely correct! I have loaded on the SDB, 550, 650 and 1050. I own, and still use, my SDB and get about 400 rounds and hour. Don't have any idea how fast I was on the 550. FOR ME, the 650 and my LNL were nearly identical in production rate. Both the LNL and 650 had case feeders. That tells me I operate both presses at a rate that is comfortable for me. The 1050 is really a commercial machine is should be much faster. Especially after you have use it for a while. I only loaded about 1000 rounds on the 1050. A buddy has the 1050 and gets right at 1000 rounds in an hour. Nothing wrong with any of them. They are all GREAT. I just prefer the ergonomics and operation of the LNL by a wide margin. Simply "liking" the LNL seems to irritate Dillon owners. And, I have no idea why. I repeat again; Nothing wrong with any of them. They are all GREAT!

mag44uk
07-19-2011, 07:03 AM
I have the LNL Auto and love it...............especially after a Loadmaster............uugghh!
So simple and cheap to change calibres. The case feeder works fine.
I have only loaded with large primers and it has been faultless.
The powder measure that come with it is most excellent.
Parrot on here has some unbeatable prices on Dillon and Hornady presses.
HTH
Tony

Lloyd Smale
07-19-2011, 07:05 AM
what he said.
If I don't need a case feeder, I would get the Hornady. If I just had to have a case feeder, I would get the Dillon 650. The Dillon was designed for the case feeder and is not fun to use without one. The Hornady is a joy to use without one and it is a bit more complicated in terms of tooling to install and work with.
The Hornady simply requires a shellplate and die swap-out for
caliber conversion. The Dillon conversion is more extensive and costs more. The use of die bushings on the Hornady makes die swap-out very simple and very fast. On the Dillon, you would need to swap-out a much more expensive toolhead.
I put the SDB and 550 down with the Lee's. I need a 5-station press and auto-indexing and none of those meet both criteria.
I have been loading with a Hornady AP for about 30 years and never felt a need to try another press. I have loaded on a 550 and 650 and just wanted to get back to my Hornady.
Currently, I have three Dillon 1050s and my son has my L-N-L.
Unless you REALLY need it, the 1050 should not be on your shopping list.

bigjason6
07-19-2011, 07:18 AM
Hi pete, I have a lnl ap too and love it. A lot of people will say to start off with a single stage press.

I decided that I wanted to hit the ground running and dive head first into progressive reloading. I don't regret it at all! Just take your time, pay attention to detail, and do periodic spot checks on the rounds you churn out.

MotorcycleSniper
07-19-2011, 08:33 AM
Not sure why the others stated if you dont need a case feeder go with it heres a pic of mine with a hornady case feeder, works great, also customized the bullet feeder die to use lead bullets and a tube feeder system for the bullets...its a great press, and love it

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/264210_2137911575915_1489913075_2426908_847528_n.j pg

bigjason6
07-19-2011, 01:30 PM
Not sure why the others stated if you dont need a case feeder go with it heres a pic of mine with a hornady case feeder, works great, also customized the bullet feeder die to use lead bullets and a tube feeder system for the bullets...its a great press, and love it

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/264210_2137911575915_1489913075_2426908_847528_n.j pg

Hey, how did you modify your feeder die to work with cast boolits? I'm thinking about doing the same thing in the near future. Thanks!

MH05
07-19-2011, 03:20 PM
I really like this press no problems except the large primer seater stem doesn't seem to seat primers all the way. The small one works fine, any one else have this problem. I am going to call Hornady and see if they can send me another seater just haven't got around to it yet.

Colorado4wheel
07-19-2011, 06:52 PM
I really like this press no problems except the large primer seater stem doesn't seem to seat primers all the way. The small one works fine, any one else have this problem. I am going to call Hornady and see if they can send me another seater just haven't got around to it yet.

I had the same issue in SP. Hornady could not get it fixed.

Pete P
07-19-2011, 07:53 PM
On the Dillion reloading machines. The brass case actuates the powder measure, dropping the powder into the case. Also at the same time the mouth of the case is flared. The die that holds the powder measuring place has a part inside of it that is specifically made for the caliber that is being reloaded that flares the case. My question is is it the same with the LNL? Or is there a die that flares the case before the powder station? It's unclear to me how the LNL performs these two operations. It's hard to tell by looking at their die sets. And which set would be recommended for the 9mm? I see that Horndy has several versions of this caliber. Which set is the best?

Thanks Pete

Colorado4wheel
07-19-2011, 09:41 PM
Hornady does not come like that from the factory. You can buy a PTX setup for the LnL. It's much harder to adjust and simply does not work as well. Dillon and Hornady both are a version of the M-Die in that they also neck expand as well. One reason the Hornady is cheaper is that it does not come standard with these parts. Hornady's original PTX setup was the hardest to use. They recently came out with a "lead" version of the PTX. It's meant to flare a little more. On the Dillon the flare is easy to control and you can easily flare as much as you want no mater the caliber. With the LnL I would only get the version they market as "lead friendly" or whatever they call it. I eventually took the PTX off my LnL and just used my expanding die. It was a lot easier. For 9mm I used a M-die. On my Dillon I don't need a M-die. Someone makes a PTX that flares as much as you want, but it does not neck expand at all.

parrott1969
07-19-2011, 10:05 PM
Colorado4wheel, you are spreading falsehoods. Hornady "had a problem " with their powder thru expanders but they have since fixed it. The current system works perfectly. If some one is having a problem they should order the powder expander stop and it will fix the problem.

Pete, you do have to order the PTX seperately for Hornady, unless you add the bullet feeder. If you do the PTX comes with the bullet feeder die. If you ever plan on loading 40 s&w you should request the 40 s&w case feeder adaper. They do not include it with the case feeder but will ship it to you free of charge if requested. Horandy customer service is every bit as good as Dillon's.

Colorado4wheel
07-19-2011, 10:09 PM
You say "Fixed it, I say" "Made it better". You can still get the non-lead PTX so I am warning him to get the right one. Having used both I found the Dillon MUCH easier to use. Yes, I had Hornady's little flare gizmo. Thats kinda why I say the Hornady isn't as nice as the Dillon. Dillon doesn't need a add on piece to work and is easier to swap calibers on because you don't have to adjust that piece for every caliber. Dillon's is simply easier.

Waldog
07-19-2011, 11:14 PM
Simply "liking" the LNL seems to irritate Dillon owners. And, I have no idea why. I repeat again; Nothing wrong with any of them. They are all GREAT!

:groner:

dannyd
07-19-2011, 11:23 PM
if you use RCBS linkage and powder measure. Lyman flare die. Redding sizing die and seater the LNL work great. I was a Dillon owner for years good stuff but it did not walk on water.

Colorado4wheel
07-19-2011, 11:56 PM
I don't think anyone is talking about a religious experience.

Waldog
07-20-2011, 01:45 PM
I don't think anyone is talking about a religious experience.

"Simply "liking" the LNL seems to irritate Dillon owners. And, I have no idea why."

Sigh!!:veryconfu

Colorado4wheel
07-20-2011, 02:22 PM
Get in my shoes. Simply stating my opinion about the LnL (based on owning one for 5 months of hell) really pisses people off. I had two major complaints. But even the parts that worked OK were not as good as the Dillon 550 (I had before the LnL) and 650 that I eventually traded the LnL in on. Very few people have owned a 550, 650 and LnL. Just because someone says the Dillon has a nicer PTX setup (for example) doesn't mean that person is saying the LnL sucks.

Model29-2
07-24-2011, 03:32 PM

MHO5, a little more info please. If you run your finger tip over the primers are they slightly angled?
Also, do you have enough brass around to try different primer/case combos? Some may be easier than others. Unless there is something definitely wrong with your primer seater a new one may not help.

MH05
07-24-2011, 04:50 PM
MHO5, a little more info please. If you run your finger tip over the primers are they slightly angled?
Also, do you have enough brass around to try different primer/case combos? Some may be easier than others. Unless there is something definitely wrong with your primer seater a new one may not help.

I have tried different brass and primers, they all seat about the same, none are angled but when you take a primed case you can seat the primer deeper by hand with a hand prime tool. Some of them will catch and bind up the shell plate occasionally so I have not been using it very much. I DO NOT have this problem with the small primers however, they seem to seat fine. Its as if the large seater punch needs to be a few thousandths longer.

Model29-2
07-24-2011, 08:30 PM
I DO NOT have this problem with the small primers however, they seem to seat fine. Its as if the large seater punch needs to be a few thousandths longer.

MH05,
I have had some problems along this line also and think I am on to something. Until I am more sure I want to do more asking of questions.
Try this. Can you get ahold of some pipe or otherwise set up a "cheater" on the handle? Unscrew the ball end on the handle. Slip a pipe over the handle to extend it at least a few inches. Then pop out all of your dies except the deprime/size die, and try to prime a few cases with the large primers. The idea is to see if the increased leverage allows you to seat the primers.

MotorcycleSniper
07-26-2011, 01:27 PM
BIGJASON6, goto youtube and same username (motorcyclesniper) i have videos to show other how to convert the dies to work with lead bullets

Floydster
07-29-2011, 11:20 AM
I have run my LNL for the last year, I really like the press, but priming on this press is an absolute pita.

Model29-2
07-29-2011, 10:32 PM
I have run my LNL for the last year, I really like the press, but priming on this press is an absolute pita.

Floydster,
Lemme guess. The primers don't always seat flush, right? Your problem can't be with the primer tubes, as a lot of good presses use them. Any other issues you got? Did you do the obvious and let Hornday have a go at it?

milprileb
07-31-2011, 07:10 AM
Okay, both are fine and will out perform you needs most likely.

However: The Dillon Powder measure is not as accurate as the Hornady and the Hornady priming system is not as reliable as the Dillon. The shell holder system on Dillon is superior to the Hornady but caliber conversions are much cheaper to do with Hornady.

Quality: same. Cosmetics a bit higher on Dillon. Warranty service : same.

Pick you poison and enjoy the ride !!!

That said: If you got a need for pushing 100 rds out in under 10 minutes, then you
are a commercial loader and need all the feed systems and want speed. I find, a
mere mortal who reloads a lot of pistol ammo, that speed breeds mistakes, jams and
frustration. I find the self indexing presses to be more convenient and allow me to make
better ammo a bit faster with less issues than trying to race along with my Dillon 550.

Horror of Horrors: I got tool heads for the Dillon 650 set up with Lee Pro measure because it works better and is more convenient for my needs.

Colorado4wheel
07-31-2011, 05:56 PM
Okay, both are fine and will out perform you needs most likely.

Uhm.... FINE?

Some are fine, some are not. That is kinda the point. Hornady has a problem. Not every Hornady has a problem. But some do. Just read this thread and it's obvious. Just because some work doesn't mean some don't.

That said: If you got a need for pushing 100 rds out in under 10 minutes, then you
are a commercial loader and need all the feed systems and want speed. I find, a
mere mortal who reloads a lot of pistol ammo, that speed breeds mistakes, jams and
frustration. I find the self indexing presses to be more convenient and allow me to make
better ammo a bit faster with less issues than trying to race along with my Dillon 550.

Horror of Horrors: I got tool heads for the Dillon 650 set up with Lee Pro measure because it works better and is more convenient for my needs.

100 rds in 10 mins is relaxed pace for me on a 550 with no case feeder.
100 rds in 8 mins is moving right along with the same press.

Silver-Silver
08-03-2011, 02:19 AM
MH05,
Can you get ahold of some pipe or otherwise set up a "cheater" on the handle? Unscrew the ball end on the handle. Slip a pipe over the handle to extend it at least a few inches. Then pop out all of your dies except the deprime/size die, and try to prime a few cases with the large primers. The idea is to see if the increased leverage allows you to seat the primers.

I have the same issue with the large primers on my LNL. I thought it was just the starline brass and CCI primers I was loading. I switched calibers and had the same issue with mixed brass. It isn't a matter of leverage, it is the large primer seater is a couple thousandths short. I have to call Hornady tomorrow with a different issue, I will ask about the primer issue.

Model29-2
08-03-2011, 09:48 AM
I have the same issue with the large primers on my LNL. I thought it was just the starline brass and CCI primers I was loading. I switched calibers and had the same issue with mixed brass. It isn't a matter of leverage, it is the large primer seater is a couple thousandths short. I have to call Hornady tomorrow with a different issue, I will ask about the primer issue.

I suspect that the primer ram is the correct length. What you are experiencing, (assuming the primer assembly isn't all gunked up with powder that keeps it from working properly) is a slight bind of the ram in the ram housing as the ram slightly flexes (tips sideways) on the primer stroke. The bind keeps you from fully pushing home the primers as the leverage of the handle is not enough to force the ram up that last little bit.

Also, I don't know exactly what a couple thousands is short of, but you should get flush or slightly below flush, depending on the primer/case combo you are loading.

However, by all means let Hornady have a go at it and let us know how it goes.:coffee:

Silver-Silver
08-03-2011, 11:02 AM
What you are experiencing, is a slight bind of the ram in the ram housing as the ram slightly flexes (tips sideways) on the primer stroke.

Do you mean the primer ram, or the press ram? I don't think it is the primer ram because I can easily push on it and it doesn't bind up or restrict movement in any way. If you mean the press ram, I really can't see how I would have bent that on the primer upstroke where relatively little force is used. I don't feel any binding anywhere in the press, or primer ram. I would think I would if I had a bent ram.

Also, I don't know exactly what a couple thousands is short of, but you should get flush or slightly below flush

I am a couple thousands short of a fully seated primer. My large primers are sticking out of the primer pocket.

I just got off the phone with Hornady, they are sending a new large primer seater, and suggested a small piece of metal under the primer ram. A divot forms where the powder coating wears away.

To get this back on topic, I have the LNL, and really like it. It is quick and relatively cheap to switch calibers. I am however thinking about getting a Super 1050. I have been shooting lots of 9mm lately. I would keep the LNL because when I need less than a couple thousand rounds, I would load that caliber on the LNL and keep the Super 1050 setup for bulk ammo.

-Silver_Silver

Colorado4wheel
08-03-2011, 06:37 PM
The ram/shellplate carrier assembly flexes as the primer punch bottom out on the frame. Tip of the punch is in the divot of the frame. As the ram/carrier moves the primer punch tips a little.

Hornady has a nice piece that they can stick to the frame to move it up a little and get rid of the dimple.

Model29-2
08-03-2011, 08:26 PM
Do you mean the primer ram, or the press ram?

The primer ram. No it isn't bent, just binds.

I just got off the phone with Hornady, they are sending a new large primer seater, and suggested a small piece of metal under the primer ram. A divot forms where the powder coating wears away.

Hope that fixes for you.:) Use a hard washer, and smear some grease on top and bottom so it doesn't grip anywhere. If the primer ram puts too big a dimple in the washer it won't work.
I may need to do a separate thread on this sometime to explain it.

Again, hope your problem is cured.:-D

noylj
08-04-2011, 01:23 AM
I had the problem and it was a loose nut holding the shellplate. I put blue LokTite on the nut and that has held it perfect for the last year.
Some have a timing problem. One pawl out of adjustment or, while trying to force something, they have cracked one. Easy to fix.
Did Hornady walk you through checking the timing and adjusting it?
Putting a penny under the primer punch never solved the problem for me.
My only criticism of the L-N-L is the primer punch. Maybe they have improved, but mine are "sealed" at the bottom and any "gunk" that drops in messes them up. Need to pull them and clean them every few thousand rounds.

MH05
08-04-2011, 12:48 PM
I am a couple thousands short of a fully seated primer. My large primers are sticking out of the primer pocket.

-Silver_Silver[/QUOTE

Let me know if the new primer seater works, I have been out of town a lot and have not had a chance to call Hornady myself but it sounds like your having the same problem, I also put a metal washer under the primer, although this press is brand new and has never worked with large primers with mixed brass, mixed primers, 308, 45auto, doesn't matter all the same. Works fine with the small primers however.

Glad I'm not the only one with the same problem, hopefully we/Hornady get this straightened out as I have read about this on other sites as well.

Colorado4wheel
08-04-2011, 08:45 PM
The old "Projector" (press before the LnL) had the same issues. Some presses just would not seat primers properly.