PDA

View Full Version : HP sticking

tophet1
07-16-2011, 08:37 AM
I finally had the time to use my 9.3 NOE mold from last years group buy. It is a two cavity with one of them a HP.

My problem (being a newb to HP's) is the HP needle sticks to the cast boolit. Is this normal ? What is the method for removing the pin from the boolit ?

gray wolf
07-16-2011, 04:03 PM
The pin is not hot enough--or check it for a burr.

cbrick
07-16-2011, 04:23 PM
Yep, odds are the HP pin is not hot hot enough. The pins have very little mass to hold heat and will cool far faster than you might think. Stop inspecting your bullets while casting, keep the pins out of the air as much as possible and the blocks closed, cast faster keeping the pin hot.

A too cool HP pin will grab the bullet and make releasing it difficult. Get the pin hotter & keep it that way.

Rick

cabezaverde
07-16-2011, 05:15 PM
I am going to try a little Bullshop lube on my pin next time I cast some HP's.

longbow
07-16-2011, 05:51 PM
I don't have an NOE HP but I do have two Mihec HP moulds that suffer from the same thing. The solutions as mentioned above is to keep the pins hot.

I get into a cadence when casting and keep that rhythm going steady. Once the mould is up to temp the boolits release very well but the pins are susceptible to cooling quickly so keep the mould closed as much as possible.

A little Bullshop lube on the pins does help and smoking a bit may as well. Some say a coating of graphite works too.

All in all I think casting a little hot and keeping those pins hot is the key.

Longbow

GP100man
07-17-2011, 06:46 PM
Yep, preheat mold & in 10-15 casts the pin will be up to jump off temp.

Blammer
07-17-2011, 06:53 PM
twist or remove the pin BEFORE opening the mould.

problems solved.

tophet1
07-18-2011, 02:21 AM
Thx guys I'll give it a go tomorrow.