PDA

View Full Version : new winchesters

wrangler
07-16-2011, 02:02 AM
[Can someone tell me what the new winchesters in .357 are like. Also where are they made.Down here they are priced at about $1200 [au] or more but a couple of dealers are having a "super special" for $1090.Sure would llike one.
This is the model 92 I'm talking about.
Thanks guys
Jim

MtGun44
07-16-2011, 02:50 AM
Beware of the rebounding hammer guns. Many, myself included, have had serious misfiring
problems due to the idiot redesign of Browning's firing system to satisfy the lawyers.

Some work, some don't. Mine is an 1886 Extra Light Wt and it has been a real PITA, I have
reworked the hammer strut and it seems reasonably reliable, finally. Be aware also that
factory repair is in Belgium with a 3 month turnaround quoted a couple years back.

Bill

runfiverun
07-17-2011, 01:56 PM
i have looked at a couple of them and the finish seems pretty nice but for the price i'd just go buy two rossi's.
unless they decided to make a different caliber like 30 carbine or 256 win or 32-20 then i'd consider one.

7of7
07-17-2011, 08:37 PM
Beware of the rebounding hammer guns. Many, myself included, have had serious misfiring
problems due to the idiot redesign of Browning's firing system to satisfy the lawyers.

Some work, some don't. Mine is an 1886 Extra Light Wt and it has been a real PITA, I have
reworked the hammer strut and it seems reasonably reliable, finally. Be aware also that
factory repair is in Belgium with a 3 month turnaround quoted a couple years back.

Bill

I thought you could replace the lower tang, trigger, hammer and all? (providing one can find the parts) to effectively remove the *** rebounding hammer.. I have one on my 357, and really don't like it..

MtGun44
07-17-2011, 10:50 PM
Maybe you could replace those parts, if you could find them, but the firing pin in the
1886 has a plunger built in to the rear which trips a firing pin locking latch BUILT INTO
THE FIRING PIN, and of course the plunger absorbes even more of the limited energy
available from the lightened and rebounding-lever-slowed hammer.

I bought a REAL 1886 firing pin and they changed the design so you cannot install the
old pin. SOBs.

Buyer beware.

Bill

fecmech
07-18-2011, 10:23 PM
I thought you could replace the lower tang, trigger, hammer and all? (providing one can find the parts) to effectively remove the *** rebounding hammer.. I have one on my 357, and really don't like it..

I know you can do that on 94's, I've got the parts on my bench right now but not sure about 92's. That said a fellow could have some really nice wood put on a Rossi and an action job done and still not pay as much as the Winchester. I've bought 2 Rossi's in the past couple years($439. ea.), fit and finish was very good on both and between the two guns 4-5 thousand rounds with no trouble. Good luck which ever way you go.

7of7
07-18-2011, 11:30 PM
I haven't had any issues, other than my dislike for the rebounding hammer.. My other winchester 94's one is 1950 and the other is before that by a couple years. not quite sure, as those records are gone forever.. so, it is one of "those" guns..
I haven't been really looking hard to replace the lower tang assembly... yet..
Bill, I think I will stay away from the 1886's...

MtGun44
07-23-2011, 02:58 AM
I can't fault the decision, it is a mess of a situation. Sad thing is that cosmetically
and fit and finish are just wonderful. Really a pain.

Bill

LVRFAN
07-23-2011, 01:03 PM
Hey Wrangler- My dad and I have several of the newer Winchesters made in Japan and we have had no problems with any of them. If you really want one I would buy it-- if it doesn't work right THEN fix it or sell it.

mongo
07-23-2011, 01:29 PM
I guess I got lucky when I purchased a 94ae from Wallyworld about 4-5 years ago. Always wanted a lever in .44mag. Dont like the rebounding hammer but never had any problems with it. Rifle was made in USA.

wrangler
07-25-2011, 05:25 AM
Thanks LVRFAN. Thats the information I was looking for. I thought they were made in Japan but wasn't sure.On the Winchester website they list a 24inch octagonal barrel with short magazine.
That would be great for cowboy lever silhouette.I have an older [1920's] vintage in 32/20 that I had relined. It has a 24inch octagonal barrel and short mag. A new one in 357 would be great.
To get one in Australia would cost both arms and a leg.
Hech I can dream though can't I?
Jim