PDA

View Full Version : 1903 A3 From AIM

alamogunr
07-15-2011, 10:33 PM
I've been looking at these:

(http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F3S1903A3SS)

for some time trying to decide whether to pull the trigger and buy one. I have dealt with AIM before and the few purchases I have made have been as described. None of those buys cost this much though. I know very little about 03 Springfields but feel sure there are some here that can offer some informed advice.

1. Is the price($795) out of line?

2. Would this make a decent shooter?

I'm not a collector so the fact that the stock and barrel are not original is of no importance to me. Although I have several milsurps, only two cost over $300. I've been going back and forth between an 03 and a Garand. The Garands I've seen have cost even more and they require a little more care when reloading.

Any help will be appreciated.

RU shooter
07-15-2011, 11:02 PM
Price seems a bit high IMO but it is a nice looking rifle . You can find other 03A3's for less but probably arent gonna have a new barrel or look that nice .

nicholst55
07-16-2011, 12:06 AM
I'd call and ask them if these were assembled on salvaged drill rifle receivers, because I'll wager they were. The Gibbs Rifle Company was selling put-together M1903A4 sniper rifles built on drill rifle receivers, and I'll bet that's who assembled these guns, too.

In case you're unaware, the drill rifles had the (plugged) barrels spot welded to the receiver, and the magazine cutoff lever was spot welded also, so the bolt (which had the face welded over) could not be removed. For that kind of money, I would have to pass. But that's just me.

Multigunner
07-16-2011, 08:18 AM
I'd call and ask them if these were assembled on salvaged drill rifle receivers, because I'll wager they were. The Gibbs Rifle Company was selling put-together M1903A4 sniper rifles built on drill rifle receivers, and I'll bet that's who assembled these guns, too.

In case you're unaware, the drill rifles had the (plugged) barrels spot welded to the receiver, and the magazine cutoff lever was spot welded also, so the bolt (which had the face welded over) could not be removed. For that kind of money, I would have to pass. But that's just me.

On a number of boards I've seen posts by Springfield owners describing a crack found on the underside of the receiver ring. All seem to find the crack in the same spot.
These were not new looking rifles but may have been built up from reactivated Drill rifle parts and salvaged barrels long ago.

With many showing interest in the SMLE DP rifles being sold cheap these days, I fear that many may intend to reactivate these and may pass them on to an unwary buyer.
A visitor to another board posted about his reactivating two DP SMLE rifles for his sons, and wondering why the headspace of one of these was increasing after only firing a few rounds, and why the fired cases looked odd.
He was quickly told how dangerous reactivating these rifles can be and posted later that he had returned the rifles to the deactivated condition and made wall hangers of them.
Better to be out a few bucks than risk injury to one's sons.
I think he later bought a couple of good condition rifles for his sons.

alamogunr
07-16-2011, 08:45 AM
I'll call them Monday. It sounds like there are enough questions to need a lot more information. If it was going to be a wall hanger, these cautions might not be of concern, but none of my firearms are wall hangers. I want to be able to shoot all of them.

Char-Gar
07-16-2011, 12:41 PM
First a disclaimer... My mind still think of 03A3s as $25.00 rifles.

The price of the rifle in question is a collector's price for a rifle that has no collector's value. I would look around for a real 03A3 and spend no more and probably less that these pseudo rifles.

MattOrgan
07-16-2011, 03:15 PM
John,

Not knowing the source makes the price seem high. Out my way 03A3s in excellent condition with clean bright bores bring $5-600. 00 and like new are $800+ . I'd find out exactly what they are selling. As far as a rifle the A3 Springfields are the highest form of the breed. Usually great shooters with cast or jacketed. Doesn't seem to matter whether they have 2 or 4jacketed groove barrels.

Your instincts about these rifles are correct. There is not a better military bolt action rifle.

Good luck.

Matt

3006guns
07-16-2011, 04:29 PM
I'm with Charger as far as price....but then again I bought mine years ago for $150. Aim has always been fairly reputable but I would demand some sort of WRITTEN guarantee if the rifle develops problems later on.

The Springfield is an excellent cast boolit rifle and very versatile, but that price seems almost crazy. As mentioned, they're asking a price that should be connected to a rare collector variation. I think you'd do better at a local level, perhaps in the $400-$500 dollar range for a really nice one.

bob208
07-17-2011, 05:03 PM
in the past few months i have picked up 2 o3a3 rifles one still in the box from the nra in 62 $300. the other drilled with a 4power scope cut down stock for $200. neither are put togethers like the aim rifles. i would pass. watch the auctions alot of guys that bought them for $25-50 are passing on and the rifles are hitting the auction houses.

alamogunr
07-17-2011, 09:09 PM
I just finished going through both Gun Broker and Auction Arms. There are a lot of 03 A3's. Very few at $200-300. Most are $400 and above with a few in 4 figures. I assume that there is something about them that makes them attractive to collectors. I did find some fine looking rifles in the $500-600 range.

I think I will just sit back and keep an eye on the auctions and see what pops up.
Thanks

gew98
07-21-2011, 11:02 AM
The officer in charge of writing the procedures of demilling the 03A3's was an acquaintence of a friend of min J.Carnahan..they both worked together at Aberdeen Proving grounds together for some decades before retirement. The Fellow went out of his way to have the welds placed where the rifle could be saved if need be later on. Don't know how well he placed them as for me I would'nt own an 1903 or A3 for nothing as I have never had an unmodified issue example that shot straight without a bunch of tweaking..except for a smith Corona A3 I had many years ago that was flat new when I got it for $120. But it's dang rear sight fell off while shouldered on the way back from my deer blind...like to have never found it before it got dark. Punching papaer on a range they are AOK , in the field I'll take a real mauser please.
On these AIM jobs - is this new made wood ?.

alamogunr
07-21-2011, 12:23 PM
I just finished going through both Gun Broker and Auction Arms. There are a lot of 03 A3's. Very few at $200-300. Most are $400 and above with a few in 4 figures. I assume that there is something about them that makes them attractive to collectors. I did find some fine looking rifles in the $500-600 range.

I think I will just sit back and keep an eye on the auctions and see what pops up.
Thanks

Well! I just sat back and kept an eye on the auctions. There was one in particular that I really liked. It had gone thru 2 cycles without a bid, so I thought that one more and they may drop the price. No such luck. Someone snapped it up on "Buy It Now".

I guess I'll keep looking.

"On these AIM jobs - is this new made wood ?"

From the web site: original unissued (lightly refinished) walnut stocks.

gew98
07-21-2011, 12:39 PM
"original unissued (lightly refinished) walnut stocks"

Alamo...that almost sounds like mitchells mauser speak , don't know to beileve them on that or not.