PDA

View Full Version : To Buy or Not to Buy...

jakumms
07-15-2011, 09:19 PM
I have a line on some linotype, and also some other mixed alloy (mostly wheelweights, with a little pure lead). The guy who has it says the lino is in "type" form, so I know it is real lino. The rest is just wheelweights and some odd pure lead pieces.

Anyway, he has about 300# of lino, which he would like $1.00 a pound...
And he has 2,000 pounds of wheelweights/lead; wants 30 cents a pound...

I'm actually only looking to buy about 100# of lino, and am not necessarily looking to pick up any more WW's (I have about 400# on hand)...

However, the price is right, and you can never have too much alloy on hand...

So I'm just wondering what you would do?
1. Buy it all; keep 100# of lino and sell the rest.
2. Buy it all; hoard it (haha).
3. Just buy what I need (passing up a profit, but requires a couple round-trips with my truck, at about 100 miles each round trip).

Thanks for any replies...

Joe

Gswain
07-15-2011, 09:28 PM
at 30C a pound for that WW i'd buy it all! If you don't want it all, ill buy it off you for 70c a pound shipped!

jakumms
07-15-2011, 09:34 PM
Today, my local scrap dealer here (Green Bay, WI) quoted a "buy" price of 45 cents a pound for wheelweights, so I could turn a $300 profit on the WW, minus the cost of gas, and my free labor....

Yea, it's lookin' like I should buy it all...

Especially since I have a hard time finding lino... <--- !!

joe

jsizemore
07-15-2011, 09:40 PM
$60 in gas is meaningless when your talking about $900 for the alloy. If you have that kind of weight available to you on a regular basis then pass if you can get a better deal in the future or money's tight.

My 500lbs/month for the past 2 years has gone dry for the past 2 months. No, I didn't shoot 500lbs a month but I ain't worried. Take it when you can get it if the deal is right for you. I'd try for $.25 on the lead and $.75 on the lino for making it easy on the seller.

jakumms
07-15-2011, 09:49 PM
I'm thinking the same (little lower price if I buy it all)...
and this is a one-time purchase...
the guy was scrounging/saving alloy, with the thought that he'd start casting, and admits that he just is not ever going to get around to doing it... so he is selling his hoard to free up some space...

money is not an object...
matter of fact, I think a big pile of metal is worth more than the U.S. fiat currency...
not quite as liquid, but with the Chinese buying cars (and batteries), the cost of lead alloys will do nothing but go up...

joe

bumpo628
07-15-2011, 10:55 PM
Buy it all, but don't scrap it. You can easily sell it here if you give a good price.
You'll make more money and you'll help out a lot of folks who hard a hard time finding alloy.

jakumms
07-15-2011, 11:28 PM
Looks like "buy it all" is the common theme...

If the metal is as the seller says, I'll probably buy it all, and just sit on it...

I can always sell it to other casters at the range I belong to (lots of casters)...

guess it's a no-brainer...

thanks for the replies...

joe

WHITETAIL
07-17-2011, 07:39 AM
YES, buy it all!
And keep what fits your need.
And sell the rest.:drinks:

fredj338
07-17-2011, 10:50 AM
400# of ww is a good start.;-) For that price, todays market, I would be buying all of it.

the guy was scrounging/saving alloy, with the thought that he'd start casting, and admits that he just is not ever going to get around to doing it... so he is selling his hoard to free up some space...
He must live in a small place, that amount just doesn't take up that much room.

Doc Highwall
07-17-2011, 10:53 AM
I would buy all the lino and the wheel weights.

Look at the price of lino and see what you are going to get.