PDA

View Full Version : 32 Win Special?

Canuck Bob
07-15-2011, 06:25 PM
I am laid up with some health issues and am daydreaming about my next rifle.

The 30-30 seems like a great cast bullet rifle and offers a tinkerers dream. however the lure of unusual calibers interests me. The 32 Win special in a Winchester 64 would be of interest. The long barreled pistol grip levers are my favorite Winchesters.

The 32 seems to offer a lot for a CB shooter. Classic rifle with a long necked case and gentle twist in the barrel. One of the best things about CB rifles is that the bullet is designed for the rifle so odd calibers aren't the issue it can be for jacketed bullets (read 303 Brit here!). The 32 Special is hardly rare but still unusual enough to be different.

Anyone care to comment?

dnepr
07-15-2011, 07:30 PM
I think that a 32 win special would be a great cast boolit rifle , and some of them seem to go for a fairly reasonably price on the exchange forun at CGN , I will probably buy one if I came across one at a rasonable price .
funny how us canucks always use the .303 british as a yard stick to comare to , I do the same all the time , :lol:
I hope you feel better soon, good luck with the hunt for your new rifle

kampfkubel
07-15-2011, 08:23 PM
Not that this is completely relevant to this thread.....but, by coincidence, my favorite load for my 8mm Mauser is basically a 32 Win. Spl load. I use a bullet designed for the 32 Win Spl, resized and paper-patched.....loaded over a charge that essentially duplicates the book recipe for this cartridge, using a 170 grain bullet. The only difference, besides the PP, is that I use cotton filler to take up the extra space in the (larger) 8mm case.

This load works perfectly in my rifle and has even taken a couple of whitetails. no muss, no fuss. I really knew nothing at all about the 32 Win. Special before I worked up this load. I used 32 WS data from the load manuals to develop it, as well. Now, I have a special place in my heart for the 32. It never took off, like it's parent ,the 30/30, but it has given me a better appreciation of many of the older cartridges than I ever had before.

felix
07-15-2011, 09:17 PM
A job well done! ... felix

bandmiller2
07-15-2011, 09:29 PM
I have a nice pre 64 win 32 spec. its accurate with cast.I have a 32 spec. RCBS 170gr flat nose mold that is a perfect fit.I have always read that if a 32 special has good sharp rifling they'll shoot, if worn or cleaning rod damanged it won't be accurate.Old wives tail??Frank C.

Char-Gar
07-15-2011, 09:33 PM
I have a Winchester 94 (1959 vintage) carbine in 32 W.S. and it is one fine shooting rifle with cast bullets. Everything you have read and heard about these being great cast bullet rifles is true!

Canuck Bob
07-15-2011, 11:19 PM
I'm toying with moving my 444 on. I will never use it again for big game and it is a dandy hunter. It looks like I could make a deal for a pre-64 94 that would work.

I am attached to the old 444 but a 32 Special really meets my current direction. Levers and cast for me. I have a nice milsurp for bolt work and must keep my safe from overflowing.

I have never owned a Winchester 94 and would prefer the 64 but the jump in price tends to be substantial. It seems a little odd to be a lever man for my shooting life and never owning a 94 Winnie, it is the standard working carbine for many. The Marlin 32 Specials seem a lot scarcer here. I do love the early Marlins.

45-70 Chevroner
07-16-2011, 10:22 AM
Canuck Bob: If you would like to see some great info on the 32 WS. Check out "google.com" type in 32 Winchester Special, click on the first item 32 Winchester Special Wikipedia the free encyclopedia. Go down to References- click on #6 What makes it special. This is a very good artical about the 32 WS.

Canuck Bob
07-16-2011, 05:38 PM
Canuck Bob: If you would like to see some great info on the 32 WS. Check out "google.com" type in 32 Winchester Special, click on the first item 32 Winchester Special Wikipedia the free encyclopedia. Go down to References- click on #6 What makes it special. This is a very good artical about the 32 WS.

Thanks 45-70 I'll link up now.

jh45gun
07-16-2011, 06:09 PM
I killed my first buck with a borrowed 32 special but balistically they are a twin to the 30/30 or close enough it does not matter maybe the 32 has a slight edge. plus the 30/30 gives you a lot more bullet choices both in cast and condom for loading choices.

7x57
07-16-2011, 09:11 PM
I am a fan of the 32 Special. I also like to have some thing a little different, and it gives you a good excuse to get another gun. I haven't done a whole lot of casting for full power loads in rifles, but the first time I tried it was with the .32 and it was an instant success. I used the RCBS 170gr bullet and TAC powder which gave me accuracy equaling my jacketed loads. My next goal is to take a deer with one of my own cast loads. Another plus with the .32 is that it seems generally they sell for a little less money than a similar gun in 30-30, even though they are less common.

Here are a couple of my favorite 94's in .32 Special, a rifle made in 1908 and a carbine from 1937.

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n212/msj348/DSC00601.jpg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n212/msj348/DSC00606-1-1.jpg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n212/msj348/DSC00619.jpg

bob208
07-16-2011, 09:18 PM
i have more 94 winchesters in .32 ws then any other cal. i even have a rifle with the special .32 smokless sight. and a carbine marked u.s. property.

Canuck Bob
07-17-2011, 05:39 AM
I think that a 32 win special would be a great cast boolit rifle , and some of them seem to go for a fairly reasonably price on the exchange forun at CGN , I will probably buy one if I came across one at a rasonable price .
funny how us canucks always use the .303 british as a yard stick to comare to , I do the same all the time , :lol:
I hope you feel better soon, good luck with the hunt for your new rifle

Doesn't everyone use the 303 Brit as the high power standard? I believe it has piled up more animals globally than any other, from rabbits (me) to elephants (not me). I read somewhere some Yanks use the 30-06 as a dandy measuring stick but it has no rim! Where would you put your jacknife when things get sticky?

Multigunner
07-17-2011, 06:16 AM
Doesn't everyone use the 303 Brit as the high power standard? I believe it has piled up more animals globally than any other, from rabbits (me) to elephants (not me). I read somewhere some Yanks use the 30-06 as a dandy measuring stick but it has no rim! Where would you put your jacknife when things get sticky?

I had to pry a stuck case out by using the screwdriver blade of an old army pocket knife. That is an advantage of the Enfield rear locking action. The breech is easy to get to.

The .32 Special was marketed as being better suited for handloaders. The slow twist is easier on cast lead boolits, and the cartridge is more efficient with a wider range of propellents than the .30-30 was at the time.
There were many a .30-30 rifle damaged by handloads in those days, due to the smokeless powders available to reloaders being of widely varying quality even within lots. One might work up a nice safe load and the same weight charge from another can of the same powder could blow the gun up.

The .32 Special could be loaded using black powder, which was far more stable in hot climates and less prone to degradation from moist air.
The .30-30 could be loaded using BP and cast bullets, but results were less than optimal due to the smaller bore and faster twist.

Canuck Bob
07-17-2011, 07:04 AM
I had to pry a stuck case out by using the screwdriver blade of an old army pocket knife. That is an advantage of the Enfield rear locking action. The breech is easy to get to.

I did the same after borrowing my uncle's Enfield to shoot some corroded ammo he I found in the barn. They were all off to town for some groceries. I actually used my jacknife to pry things open. First time I admitted it though!

This is looking like a real plan after this thread and some others on Paco's and the Marlin sites. I am moving to cast shooting in a big way. It just seems sensible to stick with cartridges that suit cast performance. I can play with my 303 at the upper ranges and PP and my loafing rifles are 32-20 and maybe 30-30 or 32 Special (I loaf in bear country a lot). One thing is clear, the 30-30 is a fine choice as well. For cast shooting the 32 is a little finer. I picture 180-190 gr GC bullets at 2000 fps and a lighter PB at 1500 for off season work.

Marlins don't seem available up here as readily as Winchester 32 Specials. The 64 model will set me back $700-$800 or a good condition shooter (apparently some of these are made out of solid gold). $500 gets a decent pre-94 in 32 carbine. I think the carbine and spend the extra on a top notch tang or receiver sight might be the answer.

Bret4207
07-17-2011, 07:12 AM
Don't discount the older Marlins in 32 Special either. I had a dandy Sporting Carbine I left get away. Dumb!

Canuck Bob
07-17-2011, 01:36 PM
Don't discount the older Marlins in 32 Special either. I had a dandy Sporting Carbine I left get away. Dumb!

I'm just not finding any Marlins yet. Might just be a little glitch in the on-line site that most Canadians go to for buying and selling. Winchesters are always well represented but no Marlin 32 Specials.

I own a 444 and have used it since the early 70s. So Marlins are just as functional and as appropriate as Winchesters for me. They, the 336 style at least, are also far superior in field stripping and cleaning features to any other lever of my acquaintance..

358 Win
07-17-2011, 02:35 PM
http://i824.photobucket.com/albums/zz169/bobddville/Gun%20Collection%20Photos/004.jpg

Here's my four .32 Win Specials. Two Win Model 94's and two 336SC's. Love em all and shoot
the RCBS 08-170FNGC bullet. Easiet caliber for me to shoot cast bullets. No fuss, no muss, just shot great from the git go.
358 Win

Canuck Bob
07-17-2011, 03:54 PM
I had no idea how popular these 32 Specials are. that is another fine collection. I sure like those Marlins. I confirmed they have the same 1-16 twist and owners love em.

northmn
07-17-2011, 05:17 PM
The 32 Special should have been more than it is. It will deliver slightly more power than a 30-30 in handloads. It came out, probably using left over 32-40 barrels and 1-16" twists. Had it been loaded and used with 190-200 grain bullets it would have made a real reputation for itself. Kind of like the 303 Savage. Instead they left it as a glorified 30-30 and no one could really appreciate any differences. I ahe always thought it would be a fun rifle to play with, but my 30-30 does very well for my uses. I also have a 303 Lee Enfield my father bought me for my first deer rifle when you could mail order rifles. With 200+ grain cast bullets one can come close to duplicating the old Kynock 215 grain load that made them effective world wide.

DP

Canuck Bob
07-18-2011, 01:17 PM
The 32 Special should have been more than it is. It will deliver slightly more power than a 30-30 in handloads. It came out, probably using left over 32-40 barrels and 1-16" twists. Had it been loaded and used with 190-200 grain bullets it would have made a real reputation for itself. Kind of like the 303 Savage. Instead they left it as a glorified 30-30 and no one could really appreciate any differences. I ahe always thought it would be a fun rifle to play with, but my 30-30 does very well for my uses. I also have a 303 Lee Enfield my father bought me for my first deer rifle when you could mail order rifles. With 200+ grain cast bullets one can come close to duplicating the old Kynock 215 grain load that made them effective world wide.

DP

Not surprised you have a 303. Folks from your neck of the woods are pretty close to Canadians already. Always wanted to visit the Boundary Waters Canoe country. I was fair to middling capable with a paddle once.

Bret4207
07-19-2011, 08:03 AM

DP

Lotta truth in those words. The 303 Savage has a lot going for it, but these days it's a go nowhere round. IMO there's a significant difference in effect between your average 150/170 30-30 and the 190 Savage. But you have to spend some time with both to see it. Same for the 32WS.

rintinglen
07-19-2011, 01:02 PM
i had a 1954 manufacture 32 winchester, but I let it get away from me in my quest for a 1953 manufacture 1894 (since I was manufactured that year). I really can't say yea or nay about it. The only mold I had to use in it was the 323-470, indeed, that is sort of the drawback to that caliber as a cast boolit gun; there aren't that many molds available. My thirty thirtys have molds that run from 85 grains on up to 190 grains. I haven't seen that variety for the 32 WS.

Canuck Bob
07-19-2011, 06:01 PM
I'm a 53 too, pretty good year, eh!

Thanks for the advice. I've agreed to purchase an out of town 1957 94 in 32 Special we've been negotiating on. We have worked out the details but he is at work and I'm waiting to get his confirming email. It is like shooting, you can look all day but sooner or later you gotta pull the trigger. I'm a pull the trigger guy. Once worked as an energy trader and it was actually on my job evaluation as a bonus that I "never hesitate to pull the trigger on a good deal!", always liked that. Quit after adopting my kids, Daddy felt like a thief after the Enron era, and that is no way to bring up kids.

You'd be surprised how hard it is to teach young energy traders to man up and pull the trigger when facing risk unless they were farmboys once. Of course they have hairdressers and died hair, wear jewellery, and brag about thier silk shirts but I guess I just verified how red my neck is, lol. Give me a young infantryman or marine any day, easier to teach restraint to the brave.

The pictures look good and the rifle seems one of those common deer rifles. Got some age and a buck or two but probably not too many boxes of shells down the tube. It was treated properly and not beat up which usually means a decent bore as well.

It is bone stock and priced fairly. Update to follow when we do the electronic handshake later. Nobody talks to my wife here, eh? Let's keep this a secret until the box rats me out!

Leadforbrains
07-19-2011, 06:05 PM
I have a 1951 .32 winchester special. It was the first rifle that I cast for. It was real easy to make it shoot cast boolits accurately. I also have Marlin .444P Outfitter and I love that rifle too. Keep the .444 if you can and look for a really good deal on the .32 special. I have both and I am happy.

Canuck Bob
07-19-2011, 07:27 PM
I have a 1951 .32 winchester special. It was the first rifle that I cast for. It was real easy to make it shoot cast boolits accurately. I also have Marlin .444P Outfitter and I love that rifle too. Keep the .444 if you can and look for a really good deal on the .32 special. I have both and I am happy.

I keep threatening to move that 444 on but I must admit this deal allows me to keep it. It is just that peculiar male urge to get real stupid once and awhile. If one isn't careful it can lead to pointing guns at your own foot. A good wife and advice from guys like you sure help with that condition.

I turned down a swap. The 444 Marlin in a 444 Marlin is the perfect Canadian Boreal Forest hunting rig, perfect big timber Rockies Elk buster, just plain perfect. Big lead bullet technology really sealed the deal. There is none better and a rare few even close. I've carried it for almost 40 years, scared off a couple grizzlies on gut piles (really appreciated a big bore after cleaning my shorts), shot some big moose, killed a couple Elk in the high Rockies, and when I shoulder it I'm 25 years younger for a moment. It ain't going anywhere but out shooting soon.

I get the 32 now, a box of shells payday, dies and brass by the fall, custom mould when I can, always family first. It is homesteader layaway, similar to hillbilly layaway in your neck of the woods I suspect.

A lot of people share the same thing. Great cast results with factory moulds, custom moulds, 8mm moulds, big bullet, little bullet, even j bullets the first time out. Seriously, I've run into this after extensive searching on a number of sites over and over. Cinched the deal for a 32 over a 30-30. Makes you wonder if they knew something about making a rifle shoot just about anything well once and maybe forgot.

I love your handle. Makes me think of my Uncle's favorite name for me when I broke something on the farm. It was a little more colorful though (the color brown).

bowfin
07-19-2011, 11:43 PM
I was given a box of .32 Winchester Special ammunition by a lady who attends the same church. She said her great uncle brought a Winchester Model 94 "back from the war" in 1918.

Instead of destroying the ammunition, I pulled the bullets (cupro nickel jackets) dumped the powder (looked like strands of cordite), killed the primers, and then super glued the bullets back into the cases for the lady to give to her grandkids. About a third of the necks had cracks in them, possibly because they became brittle with age.

The lady keeps asking me from where the rifle came, but I doubt it was military issue. Maybe used to guard prisoners or bases, since it was not unheard of in the first part of the war to arm guards with anything that went bang.

Does anybody even know WHY the .32 Special was ever created? Not a knock, but it is awful close to a .30-30. Suggestions and theories welcome...

johnly
07-20-2011, 12:10 AM
Just another 32 Win Special owner checking in. Mine is a 1950 Marlin 336 A with a 24" ballard rifled barrel. It slugs 319" and I use the RCBS 32-170 GC mold and size to .321". It shoots better than I can point it.

John

Leadforbrains
07-20-2011, 02:32 PM
Canuck Bob I am glad you are getting a new rifle without trading off your old reliable. My fathers first deer and hog rifle that he bought for himself is a marlin .444. He used it for many years and likes it for a close cover gun because one through shoulders and there are no long walks through the brush after your game. He still has it. I bought mine 10 years ago and I just got into casting for it. I love it even more now by shooting cast through it.
I enjoy my .32 special just as much and I love casting for it and shooting. That rifle is what broke the casting rifle boolit ice for me. I bought the .32 Winchester special because I read that it was easy to cast for and make shoot. I hope you enjoy your new .32 and please post pics when you get it.
I enjoyed reading your post and you have a great way with words sir.
Cheers!

Multigunner
07-20-2011, 03:55 PM
I was given a box of .32 Winchester Special ammunition by a lady who attends the same church. She said her great uncle brought a Winchester Model 94 "back from the war" in 1918.

Instead of destroying the ammunition, I pulled the bullets (cupro nickel jackets) dumped the powder (looked like strands of cordite), killed the primers, and then super glued the bullets back into the cases for the lady to give to her grandkids. About a third of the necks had cracks in them, possibly because they became brittle with age.

The lady keeps asking me from where the rifle came, but I doubt it was military issue. Maybe used to guard prisoners or bases, since it was not unheard of in the first part of the war to arm guards with anything that went bang.

Does anybody even know WHY the .32 Special was ever created? Not a knock, but it is awful close to a .30-30. Suggestions and theories welcome...

The British Admiralty bought up a lot of U S Commercial manufacture rifles to arm trawlers among other uses. They did buy some Lever Action Winchesters, but I think these were in .44-40.
Could be they bought a few in other chamberings, and British officers often bought commercial rifles such as the Winchester Model 1895 in .303 caliber.

Canada bought up many Winchester lever actions for militia and police use. A Private militia contracted with Savage for a lever action military styled musket in .303 Savage.
Quite a few commercial sporting rifles were used by various military organizations.
Whenever a rifle might be needed for subsistence hunting, survival rifle use, or sporting purposes by military personel, it would usually be chambered for a common sporting cartridge rather than a military cartridge, so there would be no soft point military ammo in the supply lines.

PS
The French bought Winchester .35 and .32 Self loaders in those chamberings. Not .32 Special, and milspec Cupro nickel jacketed ammo was made for these.

Canuck Bob
07-20-2011, 07:20 PM
Original deal fell through. Better one appeared. I found a nice 1951 model with a nice original Lyman steel 66. It is have a pristine bore and they classed it as NRA VG.

Anyone guess at the value of a decent older Lyman 66 seperate from the rifle?

Leadforbrains
07-20-2011, 09:03 PM
Dang She is BEAUTIFUL!!!!!:drinks:

7x57
07-20-2011, 10:23 PM
That's a nice one! Those old steel Lyman 66's are desirable, I'd guess $100 or more on e-bay. I'd keep the sight!

Rangefinder
07-21-2011, 01:32 AM
The reason I started casting in the first place is because of my .32 Winchester. It's virtually obsolete in terms of factory ammo, and there just aren't much in the way of variety for reloaders even. SO, I started casting. I love it in every way. Right now I'm working on a PP load for it that I'd like to take after deer--maybe next season. Gotta love the .32's.

One side note in case you didn't realize--.32 Win Spl brass is tough to find and a bit high on the $$. It's nothing more than a necked-up 30-30. Run 30-30 through a .32 sizer on one pass and you have brass forever. ;)

Canuck Bob
07-21-2011, 01:50 PM
Thanks Rangefinder, is there a prefered manufacture of 30-30 brass?

I got a 32-20 and now a 32 Special, with a 444 seemed like a nice trio of levers. The rifle will see some factory, if available, for awhile for function test and waiting for a mould and sizing tooling.

Edit: No 30-30 and no plans for one so mixing calibers not too big an issue. I never fire someone elses loads in my rifles ever.

Rangefinder
07-21-2011, 02:08 PM
Thanks Rangefinder, is there a prefered manufacture of 30-30 brass?

Nope--it's a user preference thing. If you have a favorite manufacturer, go with it. They are the same piece of brass with the only difference being the caliber it's sized for and the head stamp (which doesn't mean squat in this instance). Just keep them well separated and labeled if you ever add a 30-30 to the mix. You'll never get a .32 to chamber in the 30-30, but the opposite IS possible and easy to do if it's all 30-30 brass. That 30-30 bullet rattling down the barrel of a .32 will make one heck of a mess in the rifling--you'll scrub lead out for hours. ;)

Bret4207
07-22-2011, 08:28 AM
I've seen the sights go for over $100.00, depends on the exact make and model and condition.

Rich/WIS
07-22-2011, 01:29 PM
I reload for my SILs 32 WSP, although just J bullets (don't have a mold). Brass is easy to make from 30-30. I found dies (Herter's) and half a box of bullets at a yard sale and using his fired cases as a guide set my FL die to just kiss the shoulder of the case. Did this because the factory loads showed some primer protrusion, sized this way there is no protrusion. This was his grandpa's rifle and he is quite happy to be able to shoot it without having to mortgage the house to buy ammo.

Canuck Bob
07-22-2011, 04:26 PM
I'm a neck sizer guy. Never had a feed problem in any rifle just neck sizing and hope that continues.

The only question I got is with heavier bullets and the 1-16 twist. There seems enough load notes for heavy cast on the forum to suggest anything I would consider will stabilize fine.

358 Win
07-23-2011, 08:59 PM
I'm a neck sizer guy. Never had a feed problem in any rifle just neck sizing and hope that continues.

The only question I got is with heavier bullets and the 1-16 twist. There seems enough load notes for heavy cast on the forum to suggest anything I would consider will stabilize fine.

My favorite cast bullet in all my .32 WS is the RCBS 08-170FNGC. Cast of our alloy
they weigh 182gr lubed and GC installed. It's a real shooter also. Shoot them between 1600fps and 2000fps with great accuracy. It feeds wonderfully out of the tube magazine without any hic-ups what so ever. Heavier bullets will stabilize
fine in the .32 WS, however, any heavier in mine and the COL becomes too long
when seated into the crimp groove, i.e. the Lyman 321297 at 190gr would not
feed any of my four 32 Win Specials. Even when I seated them to SAAMI spec COL
they just would not feed. So my RCBS 08-170FNGC remains my favorite mould.
358 Win

Multigunner
07-23-2011, 09:08 PM
The 1:16 Twist seems geared towards preventing the stripping into the grooves of soft pure or nearly pure lead bullets at fairly high for the time velocities.
Pure soft lead was more commonly used for home cast boolits at the time, a hold over from Muzzle loader days.
These days its not so easy to find lead that doesn't already contain alloying agents that make for harder boolits.

Canuck Bob
07-23-2011, 09:31 PM
358, I keep hearing good reviews about the RCBS bullet. If it is available I think it will be as heavy as I would ever need.

Multu, you bring up an interesting point. It sure makes a ton of good sense. I play around with a flintlock and the soft balls are pretty deadly in range.

bowhunter
07-24-2011, 01:50 PM
my favorite 336 is in 32 special, it is a 1951 model with a lyman reciever sight. i killed my first dear with a cast boolit in it last year. h4895 and rcbs 170gr.

ia1727
07-24-2011, 10:44 PM
http://i824.photobucket.com/albums/zz169/bobddville/Gun%20Collection%20Photos/004.jpg

Here's my four .32 Win Specials. Two Win Model 94's and two 336SC's. Love em all and shoot
the RCBS 08-170FNGC bullet. Easiet caliber for me to shoot cast bullets. No fuss, no muss, just shot great from the git go.
358 Win

358--

If you'd like to part with one of those .32 Marlins I'd sure like to talk to you.

Steve :drinks:

Leadforbrains
07-25-2011, 07:30 AM
I use the RCBS-170-FNGC boolit sized .321 over IMR4198 powder. This group was shot out to 50 yards with the standard irons.
The final five in the center was after all the adjustments to the sights were made.

358 Win
07-25-2011, 05:53 PM
Hey Steve, I ain't ready to sell any of my Marlin .32 Win Specials just yet. I'm gonna be 60 years old and in all that time I've sold two and traded two firearms. You may want to check with the Mrs about the big yard sale after I'm gone, but it's by invite only and she got the list.
LOL The second Model 94 is the one I used to kill my first deer. A huge 7pt buck that was chasing two doe. I was 12 yrs old. I also have three Marlin 30-30's but the .32 Win Specials
are my favorites. My old Marlins are great shooters and the actions are as smooth as glass!
Bob

corvette8n
07-29-2011, 01:11 PM
I have a Pre 64 Win 94 in .32ws and I bought a RD .32ws mold a few years back, now all I need is some time to cast and load.

Canuck Bob
07-29-2011, 05:20 PM
My 1951 94 arrived just now. It came in the original factory box!

It is pristine and has no internal action rubbing or wear. I suspect this rifle was bought and oiled once and awhile and lived in a closet.

longranger
07-29-2011, 07:19 PM

I read an article a few years back that it was speculated that the .32 Win Special was derived from left over 32-40 barrels.With the 30-30 being new fangled smokeless powder and reloading for smokeless was a few years away for componets/powder. It was a no brainer to size up 30-30 brass to .321 so it could be loaded with B/P for the folks who were not convinced of the new smokeless stuff was better.Winchester was in business to sell guns it did offer those benefits to the company and the shooters.
This is the most reasonable explanation I have heard to date.

northmn
07-31-2011, 07:29 PM
Its barrels are the same as the 32-40 in diameter and twist, which makes one think that it may have permitted them to use up some of the barrels and utilize the machining tools with the shift to smokeless. They were advertised as fitting between the 30-30 and the 30 Govmt (30-40 Krag?) in power. There has been a lot of debate over the black powder use but they could have used it. The 32-40 was probably a better black powder cartridge, so some think that those that wanted to stay with it would have used the 32-40. Also the 32-40 had a reputation as a very accurate cartridge as it held a schutzen record. It seems that new cartridges permit more rifle sales and this may have been a combination attempt to do so. Winchester seemed to like to offer a variety of cartridges for the same rifle based on similar cases. There was also the 25-35 in their line.

DP

frnkeore
08-01-2011, 02:01 PM
I think that the main reason for the 32 WCF was that the 30 caliber was a new concept in shooting and the 32 was a tried and true caliber (as in the 32/40) also the 30 cal had not been used as a black powder cartridge at all. They went WAY over board on the 30/30 twist and I'm sure that the public was suspicious of that, too. A 14 twist will stablize a 1 1/8 long bullet at just 1400 fps in 30 cal.

It all worked out in 30 cal and today people look down on 32 cal and praise the 30 cal guns. It was not like that back then, not at all. There really was no justification for the 30/30 and I would bet that it was more of a experiment for Winchester than anything else.

For myself, I like the 32 Special more than the 30/30 (I had a Marlin back in the '90's) and I think it would have came out on top if it would have been loaded with 200/210 gr bullets at 2000/2100 fps instead of the 170's.

Frank

Canuck Bob
08-01-2011, 07:22 PM
I haven't read much on heavier bullets for the 32 yet. 190 to 200 might work? The 1-16 twist will be the deciding factor I guess.

I must admit as a Marlin fan I always thought the 94 was a bit of a rattle trap in comparison. I have been cleaning and cycling my 32 Winnie and this rifle is a pretty slick little tool. The LOP is much shorter than I'm used to but the stock fit still works just fine.

I hung a picture of a deer up in my gun room and when no body is around (my kids think I'm a bit daft already) I practice snapping the gun up and putting a bead on the deer through the peep. I have to chuckle a bit as I remember doing this when I was 10. This is one dandy hunting rifle.

Irascible
08-03-2011, 10:10 PM
I have a Ruger #3 re-barreled to 32 Special for cast bullets. It does work VERY well. So far 5744 has been the best cast bullet powder in this cartridge, for me at least.

felix
08-03-2011, 10:26 PM
What twist, Irascible? Stay with 16? ... felix

frnkeore
08-04-2011, 12:02 AM
A 16 twist will stablize a bullet that is 1.12" long at 1400 fps, a 15 twist will stablize a 1.17" long bullet at 1400 fps. That's what I shoot in my two 32/40's that are 16 & 15 twist.

You could easily get a 200 gr hunting type bullet to be no longer than 1.1 long.

Frank

Canuck Bob
08-04-2011, 10:17 AM
A 16 twist will stablize a bullet that is 1.12" long at 1400 fps, a 15 twist will stablize a 1.17" long bullet at 1400 fps. That's what I shoot in my two 32/40's that are 16 & 15 twist.

You could easily get a 200 gr hunting type bullet to be no longer than 1.1 long.

Frank

The more I consider it the more a 200 gr bullet at 2000 fps would be just dandy. I've read a ton on big meplat 44 cal bullets for the 444. What makes a good 32 cal bullet without the luxury of a big meplat?

bruce drake
08-04-2011, 10:40 AM
LEE makes 225gr 8mm Maximum and 215gr Carbiner boolit Molds for sale by MidSouth Shooter's Supply.

I personally use the LEE 170 gr .323 Round nose boolit mold for my 32 Special and it fits the bore as cast.

Bruce

frnkeore
08-04-2011, 02:30 PM
Your going to have to find something about 1.05 long or shorter with a GC, to keep from exposing the lead below the neck and still stay at 2.56 OAL. I think Mountain Mold ( http://www.mountainmolds.com/ )would be your choise. You can design your own large mepat bullet on thier site. If you make the bands a total of .6 long a leave the rest bore riding and crimp behind the first band, it should work.

Frank

Canuck Bob
08-04-2011, 10:53 PM
I'll fire up his mold program and see what works. A guy can kill some serious time on that site.

I'm on my way to buy some Dominion KKSP (Kling Kore Soft Point) 32 ammo from a guy. 12 boxes at a good price. Should cover my needs well until I can get casting.

I have some home time due to some med stuff. I can smelt my shot and add some tin solder to cast up some bullets.

Irascible
08-05-2011, 09:20 PM
What twist, Irascible? Stay with 16? ... felix

Actually I went slow with a 1 in 18. This was to be a cast bullet target rifle only and I figured the slower I could spin it the better. AS LONG AS I COULD STABILIZE IT----- It worked!
I shoot the Saeco 180gr G Checked 8mm bullet into 5/8 to 3/4" groups all day long (100 yds). The NEI DD bullet is just as good I tried the Saeco Hudson bullet and it hit the target sideways even at 50yds. I recently bought a B&D 200gr PB mould at 1" long and got 2" groups with no tipping. That was with the initial load. I've just started working on that.

Harter66
08-08-2011, 04:42 PM
I've the rimless Rem cousin and had good luck w/the LEE 324-175(?) ,I'm not looking at the box,over Red Dot,Unique,and 4350. I have plain based the boolit. One little treat that I did get was having a starting load reaching the max load velocities for j bullets w/the cast and 4350. Although I'm questioning that as everything across that chrony seems to be 200fps faster than advertised.

tacklebury
08-14-2011, 09:44 PM
I have inherited my great grandma's "porch" gun, a circa 1924 32 special. My grand dad let me take it hunting a few times in the old days. Now I'm going to start loading for it. Cannot wait to shoot her again, but with my loads this time. ;)

Canuck Bob
08-15-2011, 12:19 PM
My first shooting will be some Imperial 170 gr KKSP ammo I bought used. Plan to shoot off at least 100 for brass, got 14 boxes cheap of the same lot number. Brass quality is still an unknown.

The ammo is Canadian and long out of production and will be my field ammo until I settle out the cast bullets for this rifle. The KKSP stands for Kling Kore Soft Point and was a mod to the bullet. The shank had triangular punch holes that wedged a little piece of the jacket into the lead as a hook for the jacket. Worked real well on the old heavy 303 ammo.

358 Win
08-15-2011, 07:16 PM
Canuck Bob,
Thanks for the info on the KKSP Canadian bullets. A guy at work gave me one to identify and
didn't have a clue. Now I know. It was a 170gr flat nose for a 30-30 and had the triangular
holes below the crimp groove. All the "gun guys" at work could not ID the brand. It must be
15 years that I have been trying to ID that bullet!
358 win