PDA

View Full Version : The Outfitters Crew

longranger
07-15-2011, 02:38 PM
I just spent the past 6 weeks as the chef/wrangler for a outfitter here in Wyoming. I took the job for $500.00 a week plus tips.(tips exceeded the $500.00 a week)I am a retired firefighter/paramedic and was used to feeding more than 8 at a time.My eyes got wide open after the first week I have never worked as hard doing anything as this.Absolutely back breaking long hours(12-18 hrs days)
The outfitter is unique in that this not a pony ride where some wrangler walks you through the woods.She does high level fast rides through the spectacular Wyoming's Big Horn Mountains.Clients never see the same trail in any direction and all gaits are used.No beginners or kids all clients must know how to ride in all gaits and saddle their own horses.Some days they ride out from the ranch then we go to the mountains for four days and move camp ever day.That's the back breaking part to move 7 canvas 12X12 wall tents every day and all associated gear.Occaisionally a another rancher will ask the Outfitter if they would'nt mind helping to move cows.
All but 5 clients were from the U.K.Denmark,Italy,France,Ireland,England,Scotland and Japan.
I made some super new friends,they love coming here they love America more than a lot of Americans do.Most are professional people and a definate exchange of cultures was benefit for me personally.
If heaven and hell exist it 's in Wyoming, these rides are not for anyone who fears getting hurt.If you are not on top of your game you will get hurt.The boss lady has been running these rides for16 years.This was the worst, 1 broken femur in 3 places(operator error),4 broken ribs with bruised lung(operator error) 1 hand with 3 fractures(operator error), paramedic skills were useful this year.
I must mention one our wranglers "Merle" the boss lady and her are great friends for 20 years.Merle is an executive with Jet Blue airlines and the most competent woman I have ever worked with.Yes Merle is a beautiful Russian lady who is married to a N.Y.P.D. Lt. Ret. Merle will keep up with just about any man,knows tools and how to use them.
I busted my ass for other peoples comfort and the clients were more than happy with our service.It is not a "Dude Ranch",I was surprised at the number of ladies who do this ride we had 2 more ladies than men.
The guys suffered the most significant injuries(operator error)my experience tells me the ladies tend to make more right decisions when riding horses than men do.
I hated the first week thought I had made a bad decision the work load was tremendous no 15 minute breaks after 4 hrs. you get 5-6 hrs sleep thats it !
It took me a week to see and do everything then it got easier the next week.But it's the clients I enjoyed the most.They were accomplished people of some means and world travelers and they love Wyoming the best, I say I can't blame them,It's not CO,MT,UT or ID it is uniquley Wyoming,we don't get mentioned on most national weather reports unless the cattle are dying.Towns are 2 hrs. apart @ 75mph. least populated state with more Antelope than people.
Thank You Wyoming for giving me this very unique opportunity it has been life changing in many ways.

Bret4207
07-16-2011, 07:56 AM
Sounds great. As a guy who is trying to get beyond viewing riding as "survival on horseback" I can admire those who manages to avoid "operator error".

EDK
07-16-2011, 10:22 AM
When I go to the Quigley shoot every summer, I always stop at Kaycee for the store and museum....need to make the Hole in the Wall tour, but it's usually the same day as the shoot. I've driven to the access area at the north end.

Mr. Jennings (Sr.) at the Outpost in Buffalo makes great elk stag pistol grips, in addition to being a true gentleman. I have purchased six sets from him over the past few years.

Beautiful country out there....in addition to all the history from the Johnson County War and Fort Phil Kearney. Only problem is there isn't a lot of summer, but plenty of winter!

:Fire::castmine::redneck:

Echo
07-16-2011, 10:27 AM
Wow. LR, I AM ENVIOUS! I don't ride, I don't paramedic, but MAN - I'll bet you will do it again, right?

JonB_in_Glencoe
07-16-2011, 10:39 AM
WOW, sounds like alot of work,
I sure it was Fun though.

I have spent a small amount of time in the bighorns, beautiful country,
but very rugged. I had a hard time with the thin air above 8000'
I found that out on the first time I hiked up to the Black Mountian Lookout.
I've camped that area several times.

My other favorite spot in WY is the Wind River canyon, that area is just magical and
would be a great location for a movie.

My Daughter use to live in Evanston.
Jon

longranger
07-16-2011, 09:13 PM
Hole In the Wall is one of the rides that is used,we are primarily just east of Kaycee in the canyon country.The ranch is just outside of Ten Sleep.It is amazing how different the west side and east side of the Big Horns are from each other.Ten Sleep Canyon is special all by itself but I do agree with the observation of the Wind River Canyon that's just over the mountain from us.
I too have a couple of pairs of grips made by Mr. Jennings for Colt P.P.'s and I usually buy my cigars from the their store.We can still smoke inside of business' here.
This is Jim Bridger country and he was very influential in sending the Mormons on westward into Utah/Salt Lake. Seems Brigham Young had ideas about taking over Jim's fort.He was a visionary and new the west was to be opened.
We are also the only state to never have a 55 mph speed limit,the state told the feds to keep your interstate money we'll do it ourselves and we do.
Wyoming has a history of telling the Fed's to butt out and mind your business.
10th Amendment is very alive here.
The silent owner of the outfit came and spent 8 days with us and had told the other owner to keep me and pay him more.I have been invited back by popular demand by clients that have been using their services for 15+ years.I learned the ropes real fast and would be a shame to lose the wonderful experience.

hydraulic
07-17-2011, 08:36 PM
I spent 20 summers in the Bighorns working for the Forest Service. Two of those years I was in charge of trails in the Cloud Peak Wilderness. Worked out of the Paintrock District, mostly, up around Bomber Mountain where a B-17 crashed in WWII. Headquartered out of Tyrrell, up the mountain from Ten Sleep. Set up the interpretive program and training manual for interpreters at the Medicine Wheel National Historic Landmark. Spent a lot of time on Forest Service horses-Missouri Foxtrotters.

longranger
07-17-2011, 11:24 PM
Paint Rock is just a little north of where we ride out of,I have heard of the B-17 crash site but have been up there yet.I have probably walked some of your trails,I will think of Hydraulic from Neb. when I walk the Cloud Peak trails and thank you for your efforts in the Big Horns.

MtGun44
07-18-2011, 07:13 PM
I hiked up the same valley, on the opposite side from Bomber Mountain a couple of years
ago. I wondered if there is anything left of the wreck, is it worth hiking in to see? I mostly
backpack in the Wind Rivers in September each year.

Nice area, but I mostly have spent my time on the west slope of the Winds over the
last 37 yrs. I have ridden horses in that kind of country on the west side of the Tetons, and
you had better be paying attention and have a sensible, calm horse. I have been amazed
at some of the places we rode a horse, even a few so steep we got off and led the horses
up the slope.

Of course, in the group that hunted the area the week before we did, a guy had his
head up his rear as his horse jumped a blowdown, and he rolled off the horse, broke
his back. NOT GOOD. A horse is a big, powerful and not too bright animal. You can get
hurt around them in a whole bunch of different ways, better be at least moderately skilled
(that's about the best I'd claim) and pay close attention. Better know what the saddle horn
is for, too! I never roped, but I have sure used a saddle horn! :-)

Bill

hydraulic
07-18-2011, 09:54 PM
mtgun44; Most of the airplane is still up there. A local fellow wrote a book about it, but it has been out of print for several years. The Army went up and got the guns and the bodies, but everything else was left. Some has been hauled off. We worked for several days at Lake Helen, just below the site, but never had the time to climb up and look around. I think the crash happened in 1943, if memory serves. Longranger: It sounds like you ride out of Battle Park.

MT Gianni
07-20-2011, 09:22 AM
Trail horses, Quarter horses, Morgans, Paso Finos or what was on the string?

longranger
07-20-2011, 07:54 PM
Mostly Quater Horses and Morgan mix, excellant string of horses.