PDA

View Full Version : Source for .431 cylinder throat reamer

PacMan
07-15-2011, 01:02 PM
I contacted Cylindersmith about my needs and he was unable to help. I have an email out to Manson Reamers but have not heard back ,just sent it.

Any of you guys know of another source. I have done the lapping on another revolver with good results but the new BFR deserves better.

Sluged it again this morning and the results are the same. Bore grove dia. .4305 to .4307. Cylinder throats .430.

Intend to work up some more loads and work with the above sizes but by time i get a bullet that will properly fit the throats i am looking at .001 undersized.

Any info would be appericated.
Thanks
Dwight

para45lda
07-15-2011, 01:28 PM
Brownells?
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=17655/Product/PISTOL_CHAMBERING_REAMERS

Dale53
07-15-2011, 01:39 PM
Dwight;
What you really want is a CYLINDER THROAT REAMER. Here it is from Brownell's:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=7700/Product/REVOLVER_CYLINDER_THROATING_REAMER

I suggest you also get the pilot kit to go along with it.

I have done seven .45 Colt cylinders with a similar kit. It works beautifully. After you get the kit, send me a PM and I'll give you a tip or two about using them that'll maybe make your job a bit easier.

Dale53

para45lda
07-15-2011, 01:43 PM
Thanks Dale. I hate giving bad info.

Wes

PacMan
07-15-2011, 01:48 PM
Thanks guys. I looked at that earlier and misread the whole thing. Man age and i guess other things are telling off on me.
Dale i will give you a holler when she arrives

Thanks again
Dwight

9.3X62AL
07-15-2011, 08:02 PM
Dwight--

Have you shot the revo yet, to see if an issue exists? That isn't clear in the thread.

PacMan
07-15-2011, 09:10 PM
Yes i have shot it. I got a small amount of leading but nothing serious with the GC bullet. I am still working with it and right now i think that opening the throats to at least bore grove dia. would be prudent.

To get a bore slug thru the cylinder throats takes a mallet and that cant be good.

I figure the biggest issue would be accuracy maybe a little leading which i am already getting with a bullet that has never leaded in any gun that i have shot it thru. 4 revolvers and two rifles.

I figure that if an undesirable condition exist that you are always ahead of the game to elimniate it and there will not be a little man standing on my shoulder wispering it may be better if it's right.

I do thank you for asking,i havent been at this cast thing long but have figured out that there are no set rules.

Dwight

9.3X62AL
07-15-2011, 11:43 PM
Roger that. I would do exactly the same thing given your situation. An undersized-by-throats gas check could conceivably leave behind bore leading.

saz
07-16-2011, 05:44 AM
I had the same issue with my SBH. I had read Marshall Stanton's book (from beartooth bullets) and there is a chapter about uniforming cylinder throats yourself. I wasnt real keen on trying it, but I found another cylinder at a gunshow DIRT CHEAP, so if I screwed it up, I had another. I went ahead doing it myself and it turned out great. Very rewarding experience when my groups shrank to a tolerable level and leading dissappeared. Just a thought...

Mal Paso
07-16-2011, 11:22 PM
I have the Manson .431 and like it. Buy the bushing set as a tight fit is important. The bushings also work as plug gauges and Don't be surprised if the cylinders aren't all the same size Factory tolerance for the reamer is .431 to .4315 so if you need tighter you should call Manson directly. The price is the same and the time I called I talked to Dave Manson and learned a bit.

Some more info: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=116271

Cylinder Smith uses Custom Manson Reamers at .4305 and .4325. .4325 is SAAMI Spec minimum size but I like .431. I've seen a few .429 cylinder throats and I think it's to increase jacketed performance which we all know is pretty dismal compared to lead.:CastBoolitsisbest:

subsonic
07-16-2011, 11:55 PM
I had the same issue with my SBH. I had read Marshall Stanton's book (from beartooth bullets) and there is a chapter about uniforming cylinder throats yourself. I wasnt real keen on trying it, but I found another cylinder at a gunshow DIRT CHEAP, so if I screwed it up, I had another. I went ahead doing it myself and it turned out great. Very rewarding experience when my groups shrank to a tolerable level and leading dissappeared. Just a thought...

How does Marshall recommend to do it?

saz
07-17-2011, 01:17 AM
It is basically like reaming out a push thru sizing die. Find a dowell, brass rod etc, wrap it in emmry paper and lube with WD-40. Get it in the throat from the back side ensuring that you keep the rod centered and go slow. Keep checking your progress as you go. After I slugged my throats to see what they were (initially), I used a sized boolit as my guide. When it will push thru with a little finger pressure, you should be about .0005 over the boolit size. I did it with VERY good results.

subsonic
07-17-2011, 10:34 PM
It is basically like reaming out a push thru sizing die. Find a dowell, brass rod etc, wrap it in emmry paper and lube with WD-40. Get it in the throat from the back side ensuring that you keep the rod centered and go slow. Keep checking your progress as you go. After I slugged my throats to see what they were (initially), I used a sized boolit as my guide. When it will push thru with a little finger pressure, you should be about .0005 over the boolit size. I did it with VERY good results.

That's the same method I used in my SS 5.5" .45LC Bisley a couple years ago. I used that technique again tonight for the 686 in my load development thread. Definitely helped the Bisely. Will find out soon about the 686. As with anything like this it's much easier to remove metal than put it back. And a gun that needs to go from .357 to .358 is a better candidate for this technique than one that needs to go from .448 to .453!

PacMan
07-18-2011, 04:33 PM
Dale i am sending you a PM
Thanks

Dale53
07-18-2011, 04:47 PM
PM answered. Happy to help out.

Dale53

uscra112
07-20-2011, 08:33 PM
Using a lead boolit as a throat gage cannot be very accurate. Just pushing a it through once will change it. (Else how would sizers work?). Much better to buy some pin gages - they are cheap, ($2.50 each), extremely accurate, and being hardened steel they will last for years.

www.gageshop.com is one good source.

PacMan
07-20-2011, 08:37 PM
So uscra112 you are saying that sluging cylinder throats is not accurate. How about slugging a barrel.Is that not accurate either.

Enlighten me man.

subsonic
07-20-2011, 08:45 PM
If you push a boolit through an opening with slight resistance several times and the resistance stays the same each time, did you size it?

To properly slug, You usually start with a soft, oversize boolit or slug and force it through a throat or bore and meause your end result with a (preferably) micrometer. A caliper can work if thats all you have.

PacMan
07-20-2011, 08:56 PM
subsonic i am aware of that.Where did i post that is what i did to get the measurnment of the cylinder throats.
I posted that i sluged the throats. One slug per throat.I even used a micrometer. The turnip truck stoped by this morning but i was already here and did not just fall off of it.

sorry i just could not resist that one.
thanks guys
dwight

saz
07-21-2011, 02:16 AM
I sized about 50 boolits and checked them with a mic to ensure that they were uniform, and used them to check the throats, and that they had the same pressure to push thru when I was done. I then took the cylinder to a friend that had a set of pin guages to check them. All 6 throats were within .0005"..........

subsonic
07-21-2011, 05:23 AM
subsonic i am aware of that.Where did i post that is what i did to get the measurnment of the cylinder throats.
I posted that i sluged the throats. One slug per throat.I even used a micrometer. The turnip truck stoped by this morning but i was already here and did not just fall off of it.

sorry i just could not resist that one.
thanks guys
dwight

Was responding to uscra112.