PDA

View Full Version : Cast hunting bullet

hornady
07-15-2011, 10:52 AM
I want to use a cast bullet on white tail deer this year. I have been playing around with a 30 cal, Lyman 170 Grain. This is a gas check mold.
I was thinking a softer alloy, but a while back I read an article in Handloader about making split tip cast bullets with foil in the nose of the bullet mold.
Has anyone tried this, and is their any advantage to it, sounds like a lot of extra work.

waksupi
07-15-2011, 11:02 AM
You are trying to make it too difficult. Just use the bullet as cast. I have used it to kill several white tail and one elk, and it works fine as-is. Whoever wrote the article is parroting old stuff, that is not practical, or needed.

gnoahhh
07-15-2011, 11:12 AM
Cast it relatively soft (11-13bhn), drive it at around .30/30 velocities, and you'll be snacking on venison jerky before you know it.

hornady
07-15-2011, 11:27 AM
Thanks guys, sometimes I think you get over loaded on information and try to reinvent the wheel, I will stick with the original plan.
So straight WW at a little over 1800 FPS should work just fine.

youngda9
07-15-2011, 12:35 PM
Just put one through the pump house and it won't matter.

And +1 to making some jerkey !

MBTcustom
07-15-2011, 12:38 PM
I have been thinking of trying some two tone boolits (ie. pure lead nose, WW base.)
There is a sticky on how to do this, but basicly, you cast up a bunch of boolits out of pure lead. Drill a hole in a wood block about 1/4" deep, (or however long you want the soft nose to be), stick the noses of boolits in the hole and cut them off with a hacksaw blade. Heat up your mold and stick the noses you cut off in the cavities. Fill the mold with WW aloy.
Set the mold into your molten lead and hold it there until the sprue melts.
Let the mold cool real good and dump out the boolits.
You should have perfectly bonded soft nose hunting boolits.
While this seems like a lot of work, everyone says that they don't shoot any different than the same load shooting WW alloy, and the effect on game is impressive. (from pictures I have seen) If I hunt with cast boolits this year, I am going to make some of these.

hornady
07-15-2011, 12:58 PM
Yea you can’t beat deer jerky, my doc, said to lay off it a bit, a lot of salt, what’s he know, been eating it for 60 years.
Most of my casting over the years has been with pistol, and BP rifles, just started with the cast rifle last year, this will be my first year with cast rifle hunting other than the smoke pole. I have sent a couple Raccoons and woodchucks to see Elvis with cast pistol bullets, and dead is dead. I have always loaded jacketed rifle for hunting.
I decided I have all the equipment, and alloy, I may as well give it a go. where i hunt 90% of the shots will be in the 40 to 60 yard range.

MtGun44
07-15-2011, 01:18 PM
HP or soft point (two alloys, as mentioned above) can improve killing effect, but a good
flat point put in the chest near or into the heart will always work.

Bill

Junior1942
07-15-2011, 01:49 PM
Next time your truck gets stuck in a mudhole, stand in the back of it and shoot a bullet with a good meplat down in the mud. You will instantaneously understand why the ol' 30-30 is such a deer killer. Plain aircooled wheelweight alloy and a good meplat @ 1700 + fps is all you need for deer.

Re: mudhole. Wear safety glasses and pants you can pre-wash with a waterhose in the back yard.

waksupi
07-15-2011, 02:42 PM
Next time your truck gets stuck in a mudhole, stand in the back of it and shoot a bullet with a good meplat down in the mud. You will instantaneously understand why the ol' 30-30 is such a deer killer. Plain aircooled wheelweight alloy and a good meplat @ 1700 + fps is all you need for deer.

Re: mudhole. Wear safety glasses and pants you can pre-wash with a waterhose in the back yard.

Instigator! [smilie=l:

pdawg_shooter
07-15-2011, 03:14 PM
I have been thinking of trying some two tone boolits (ie. pure lead nose, WW base.)
There is a sticky on how to do this, but basicly, you cast up a bunch of boolits out of pure lead. Drill a hole in a wood block about 1/4" deep, (or however long you want the soft nose to be), stick the noses of boolits in the hole and cut them off with a hacksaw blade. Heat up your mold and stick the noses you cut off in the cavities. Fill the mold with WW aloy.
Set the mold into your molten lead and hold it there until the sprue melts.
Let the mold cool real good and dump out the boolits.
You should have perfectly bonded soft nose hunting boolits.
While this seems like a lot of work, everyone says that they don't shoot any different than the same load shooting WW alloy, and the effect on game is impressive. (from pictures I have seen) If I hunt with cast boolits this year, I am going to make some of these.

OR.....you could just use pure lead and paper patch them. Pure is good up to around 2200fps and WW, air cooled to near 2600fps. NO leading and velocity and accuracy equal to jacketed. Perfect performance on critters.

Swede44mag
07-15-2011, 03:21 PM
I have read about molds that cast the front of the bullet with soft lead then put in another part of the mold to cast the back half with hard lead.

Looks like to much trouble to me that is why I bought a 45-70 so I can through a heavy lead boolit with a big meplat. IMHO

stubert
07-15-2011, 06:27 PM
Keep it simle, use a soft, gas checked boolit, with good lube, that fits the bore. The last two deer I got were with a 44 mag. using a bhn about 12. both were neck shots, both deer were dead before the pistol stopped recoiling..

MBTcustom
07-15-2011, 06:35 PM
Yeah, Neck shots are bad about puttin 'em down. I shot a deer last year with my ML. Used a lee 230gr RN .451 in a sobot. Shot her in the neck 10 yards away. By the time the smoke had cleared, she was piled up right where she was standing when I took the shot.

mroliver77
07-15-2011, 07:40 PM
Even the 311284 kinda round nose at 2200fps cast of linotype left a 1" wound channel clear through a nice doe one year. 1800fps with a nice meplat does the same thing.
Jay