PDA

View Full Version : case lubing

oldscool
07-15-2011, 12:50 AM
I know everyone has a favorite way to lube cases, and this is mine.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/556/quicklube.jpg

Call it a lazy way or easy, or non-messy. It works plenty good for me, and I can do a lot of cases quickly. Squeeze one part Lee resizing lubricant in a small mist sprayer bottle and add 8 to 10 parts isopropyl alcohol ( 91% ). Shake well for 30 seconds or so when first mixing, after that give it a half dozen shakes every so often. Regular rubbing alcohol works too, just takes longer to dry and isn't as easy on the nose. I think it is an old 2oz. throat spray bottle that I'm using.

I picked up a lazy susan base at a salvage store and use a craft made trivit in the middle to set cases on. You could use a bigger platform if you wanted. I stagger 5 rows of 5 cases with space between each. You can do many more at a time, but I can set this amount up quick and don't end up knocking cases over as when trying to do a lot more. Also, one spritz of the sprayer will hit them all in a smaller
batch.

When held about 6 inches away at 45degrees above the cases, that should hit them all with the lube. I spray once, spin the lot a quarter turn and spray, spin the lot a quarter turn and spray, spin the lot a quarter turn and spray . Then drag them off into a box or container to let dry a bit. If I do this outside now, It takes about 2 seconds for them to dry.

I can easily do 100 cases in 8 minutes, and I am not hurrying to do that. Since mixing the last batch, I have lubed over 600 cases, and the little bottle is still 40%full. Even when the bottle does not get used for over a month, a five second shake will have it good to go.

The Lee lube works well, I can move the shoulder on 223s back 3/8" in one step
with no problems or stuck cases. It will not build up and dent shoulders, and I do
not end up with greasy crap all over me and everything I touch. The Lee resizing
lube will not contaminate powder, so you can leave it in the neck. After loading,
I spray a bit of windex on a rag an wipe the cases off and put them in boxes.

I know, it ain't Imperial:p I like it butter