PDA

View Full Version : die suggestions

garbear
07-14-2011, 11:08 PM
I have been reloading using a lee die for my 357. Problem is the die is my brothers and I have had it for 2 yrs. He had sold his old 357 3 yrs ago but bought a new 357 mag and wants the dies back. I am going to buy new dies and want some suggestions. I have only used the lees for most of my reloading. I shoot nothing but cast boolits in my handgun. I have looked at hornady and rcbs. Any others I should be looking at?

Garbear

KYCaster
07-14-2011, 11:14 PM
I have owned .357 dies from Lee, RCBS, Lyman, Hornady and Dillon. All of them made good ammo.

Jerry

Mk42gunner
07-14-2011, 11:16 PM
Just about any of the die manufacturers make servicable dies. The only time I directly compared Lee and RCBS dies (in .45 Colt), the RCBS dies seemed to be easier to use, the carbide sizing ring felt slicker to me.

I haven't used Lyman pistol dies, but I beleive they come with an M cie for the expander.

Redding rifle dies are a good investment, but I haven't used any of their pistol dies.

Pick the amount of money you want to spend, then see whose dies meet that price.

Robert

07-14-2011, 11:23 PM
For handgun cartridges, I've found Lyman seater dies to be the most boolit friendly, especially if the boolit is a bit fat. Included are seater stems for round nose, wadcutter and semi-wadcutter nose designs. And, if that's not enough, sets include the world famous M-die.

I like them so much, that I just bought a third .38/.357 set.

oldgeezershooter
07-14-2011, 11:45 PM
No matter which ones you buy, get the Lee Factory crimp die.
My loads are more consistent since I started using one.

mooman76
07-14-2011, 11:52 PM
If you're used to the Lees, get the Lees but like stated you can't go wrong with any brand, they all make good ammo but make sure you get carbide so you can skip lubing.

MtGun44
07-16-2011, 07:29 PM
Lee pistol factory crimp dies have caused a lot of grief for folks using cast boolits.

Sometimes they wind up sizing down the whole round and making the boolit smaller
and causing problems. I know that some folks like them, but I am not one of them.

I have never identified a real loading problem which is addressed by the Lee pistol FCD
that would not be better addressed in some normal portion of the loading cycle. I can see
no legitimate need for the pistol FCD in the loading cycle.

Unfortunately, the Lee RIFLE factory crimp die is an ENTIRELY different kind of device, and
works wonderfully, producing excellent, consistent crimps on batches of brass that vary in
length significantly.

Bill

Az Rick
07-16-2011, 07:41 PM
I use RCBS. I have never had a problem with any of the calibers I load. They will out last me. I think most quality brands would be good.

Best, Rick

jcwit
07-16-2011, 08:03 PM
Any and all of them will make quality ammo, if of course you do your part.

Regarding the FCD for handgun rounds, I'd forget it. Its a item looking for a solution to solve that doesn't exist. That is of course my opinion, but its based on the millions of handgun rounds loaded for decades before it was brought out. Not by me, but by all those using Lee reloading dies, or other brands for that matter.

Safeshot
07-16-2011, 08:07 PM
For handgun cartridges with lead Boolits I like the Lyman (with the M Die) and the RCBS Cowboy Action Dies (they have a larger expander plug - well suited to lead Boolits). The Lee Factory Crimp Die for Handgun calibers is handy to correct some specific problems with fully loaded rounds that have problems or are out of specification. I think it is better to correct the problems and load the ammo the way you want it to be so that it does not "need fixing". Just my opinion, Safeshot

noylj
07-16-2011, 08:09 PM
Buy the Lee 4 die set.
For additional dies, you can consider the Redding Profile Crimp Die. These are the very best roll crimp dies I have ever used (the Lee is a close second).
I consider a near perfect die set to be:
Hornady New Dimension TiN sizing die. All others are in second place with the Lee being the least expensive and just as good as.
RCBS or Hornady expander die (if you aren't using a powder-through expanding die and powder measure)
Lee PTE and a Lee Pro Auto-disk (PTE comes in the Lee die set)
Hornady or Lee seating die (with the Lee, you can inexpensively get a custom seater stem to fit your bullets)
Lee FCD or the Redding Profile Crimp die. The Redding is better.

DCM
07-18-2011, 05:17 PM
All of the dies mentioned work well.
IMO I prefer the Dillon dies for use with cast as it is VERY easy to clean them without losing your settings.
see http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=122006
I would change the lock rings on them to the rcbs type if you are using them on a single stage press though.
Just my opinion based on years of self abuse. Your mileage may vary.

MtGun44
07-18-2011, 10:01 PM
Hornady dies with the Titanium nitride sizer will actually POLISH the brass.
The seater die has a floating sleeve to make sure the boolit seats straight.

Great die sets.

Bill

matsu
07-18-2011, 11:53 PM
I use RCBS,Redding ,C&H ,Lyman &Dillion mostly Dillion now

Char-Gar
07-19-2011, 11:52 AM
If you have had good luck with Lee, I see no reason to change. I do not use them, but the Lee Factory Crimp die has a very bad reputation for cast bullet use.

If you want a change, Lyman pistol dies come with the great M type expander plug and are as good as any, and a little less expensive than the high price spread. I also have many sets of RCBS and Redding dies and like them both. I have no experience with Hornady dies.