PDA

View Full Version : CB in an AG-42B

Fredx10sen
07-14-2011, 04:20 PM
Has anyone tried CB's in their Swedish AG-42B Ljungman rifle? What bullet, what powder and what was the results? Any problems with the gas system? It's a fun rifle to shoot but eats up ammo way to fast. :Fire:

I don't want to waste time looking for a decent cast load and only finding that which didn't work for others. Thanks [smilie=b:

georgewxxx
07-15-2011, 04:36 PM
You're not getting any takers on that probably because you said Swiss. Try Swedish instead. Unless you have a real unusual rifle on hand.

Fredx10sen
07-15-2011, 05:13 PM
You're not getting any takers on that probably because you said Swiss. Try Swedish instead. Unless you have a real unusual rifle on hand.

Yep Brain Fade will get you every time, Thanks I also should add that it's 6.5 x 55

georgewxxx
07-15-2011, 11:19 PM
I was just looking at my notes to see what load I used last in my Ljungman and noticed in the remarks a problem with rim damage if I tried to load straight in the chamber then chose the action. Use your magazine for starters, and be real mindfull as to who's to your right. The term secondary projectile comes to mind. Those empties hurt even with cast. The gun doesn't eject up in the air like a M-1.

To answer your question about gas system, I guess I never had any problems there. I used 266469 with 21 gr. of BLc2, and about the same with 4198. I had just as much fun shooting my 6.5 Krag and the 96 Mauser to go chasing brass in the tall grass all the time, so I kind of abandoned the auto. The way that action slams shut can be a bit intimidating too, a little like snapping turtle or the M-1 only worse.

nanuk
07-16-2011, 02:38 PM
Heh... I lost significant hearing ability after shooting 20 rounds through mine.

Haven't fired it since.

think I need to sell it

Fredx10sen
07-16-2011, 11:30 PM
Thanks George for the input. I haven't any molds for it yet and that really helps to hear what worked for someone else. I did have a problem of blowing out the primers on two rounds of jacketed. The OAL was too short and I had to disassemble a few rounds as that bullet just didn't work out for me. I have sense worked up several different jacketed loads that work fine. I just really like the ability to cast for all the different weapons that I have and this one is on the radar right now. Again thanks.

JeffinNZ
07-17-2011, 01:34 AM
There are few rifles that can chuck brass like the Swedish 'finger slicer'. I saw one throwing cases forwards to the right a distance that had to be 10 yards easy. Secondary projectile.

DanM
07-21-2011, 11:19 AM
I have done the gas screw modification on my AG42b, and that has eliminated problems with torn rims and distant ejection. A simple mod. Remove the screw at the top of the gas block and rethread to 8x40 or 8x32. The finer 8x40 thread is the preferred size, but 8x32 works fine for me, and screws are much easier to find. Start with a 1/2" screw and file it back until it just bottoms out. Make a mark on the rear of the head that aligns with the bore and begin filing a 45* angle in the threads just under your mark to direct the gas to the tube. It will be a trial and error process to find how much to file off the screw for your preferred ammo. I have several screws made up for different loads. You can get that hot mil surp ammo to just dribble cases out, but about an 8' throw seems ideal for reliable function. No more dinged rims or lost cases. Makes the AG42b much more reloader friendly. Buckshot has posted a more detailed description of this mod complete with drawings if you want to search for it.

added: This mod allows you to use those slow powders that work so well in 6.5x55 bolt rifles, like 4350, R22, or 7828 in your AG42b reloads.

Here is a link to Buckshots description of the gas port mod:http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=3078&highlight=ljungman

Fredx10sen
07-23-2011, 02:13 AM
I have done the gas screw modification on my AG42b, and that has eliminated problems with torn rims and distant ejection. A simple mod. Remove the screw at the top of the gas block and rethread to 8x40 or 8x32. The finer 8x40 thread is the preferred size, but 8x32 works fine for me, and screws are much easier to find. Start with a 1/2" screw and file it back until it just bottoms out. Make a mark on the rear of the head that aligns with the bore and begin filing a 45* angle in the threads just under your mark to direct the gas to the tube. It will be a trial and error process to find how much to file off the screw for your preferred ammo. I have several screws made up for different loads. You can get that hot mil surp ammo to just dribble cases out, but about an 8' throw seems ideal for reliable function. No more dinged rims or lost cases. Makes the AG42b much more reloader friendly. Buckshot has posted a more detailed description of this mod complete with drawings if you want to search for it.

added: This mod allows you to use those slow powders that work so well in 6.5x55 bolt rifles, like 4350, R22, or 7828 in your AG42b reloads.

Here is a link to Buckshots description of the gas port mod:http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=3078&highlight=ljungman

Thanks for the info. :grin:

Buckshot
07-25-2011, 01:58 AM
...............I tried my Ljungman with cast loads that would cycle the action, but long before I got there accuracy had gone out the window. You CAN get decent accuracy with loads that will 'just' unlock the action, but NOT cycle. Basically a manually operated magazine fed repeater with gas assist:bigsmyl2: I found it to be as accurate then as the bolt actions and LOTS easier on brass.

The Swedes also experienced torn rims or other problems as the military suggested lubing the cases via dribbling a little oil into the mag via onto the top rounds in a loaded magazine. I never experienced torn rims, but I DID have rims that were obviously pulled back, and those same cases then had a portion of the rim on the opposite side bent slightly inward by the 'Love tap' administered by the narrow ejector, before being sent off at warp factor 8 into the next time zone. Impossible to get them into a shell holder.

................Buckshot

DanM
07-25-2011, 09:27 AM
The gas port mod is more for dampening the action down when using full power JB loads. It works well for that purpose. My experiments with cast in the AG42b have been somewhat 'backburnered' and am just enjoying it with JBs lately.

ag42b
05-26-2014, 11:48 AM
sigh...still waiting for my mould to show up....