PDA

View Full Version : Off Line For A While.

Hickory
07-14-2011, 08:48 AM
Well, it’s been more than 1 ½ years in the making. And the time has come, and is here.

Christmas 2009 I flew out to California to visit my son in the Marine Corp while he was back in the States.

He hatched a plan for me to ride my motorcycle to California when he got out of the Corp. And we would both ride back.

I told him, I’d do it on one condition; that we take 4-5 weeks coming back. Because I wasn’t willing to drive 2500 miles out and another 2500 miles back. [smilie=2:

I made mention of it here then http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=75456 and have been planning it since then. In April my son throw a monkey wrench in the works when he said over the phone that he did not have enough money to buy a motorcycle. That was the monkey wrench.

A few weeks before, I had bought a new and bigger cycle just for this trip. I told him not to worry too much about I’d figure something out on my end.

So, I got on-line and found this place that would ship motorcycles . http://www.freightcenter.com/

I sent the new motorcycle to him and told him that he would have to outfit it with windshield, saddlebags backrest and cargo rack.
It was cheap enough to ship the bike that I decided not to ride out and ship the other bike out there also, and fly out.

So, I’ll be off line here for 5-6 weeks. I’m leaving Sunday morning from Ft. Wayne IN. to San Diego.8-)

I’ll take a lot of pictures and hope to post some here.

Houndog
07-14-2011, 08:54 AM
Good on you!!! Life is FAR too short not to spend all the time you can with your loved ones, and don't forget to thank him for us for his service to our country!

sundog
07-14-2011, 09:34 AM
Hooah! What a Dad! Y'all have a good ride home. And tell him I said, "Thanks for your service."

Hickory
07-14-2011, 09:54 AM
This picture is 2 years old of my son and daughter, at my daughter's wedding.

http://www.fototime.com/1484A89C03CFD8A/medium.jpg (http://www.fototime.com/pictinv/1484A89C03CFD8A)

Moonie
07-14-2011, 10:16 AM
Hooah! What a Dad! Y'all have a good ride home. And tell him I said, "Thanks for your service."

+1, tell him I said the same, and tell him thanks for looking out for his brothers, I have a son that is also a Marine.

JonB_in_Glencoe
07-14-2011, 10:20 AM
Sounds like a great trip.
I think you made the right call on making the length of the trip as long as you did.

When I was younger, 2 friends and I went on a Bike trip from Central MN
to Portland OR and the Coast nearby...then back.
also including Glacial Park, Yellowstone, Tetons, Spokane, southern Idaho...
a 2 week trip (16 days) we put on just over 5000 miles.
that was a blast for a 25 year old kid, but still took everything I had in me.
To do that today 20 years later? (and I have softened around the sides)
well...I just couldn't do it.

Have a great time with your son.
and yes, I thank him for his service.
Jon

Dean D.
07-14-2011, 03:24 PM
Enjoy your trip Hickory! Ya gotta take time to smell the roses when the opportunity arises. This sounds like the trip of a life time. Give your son my most heartfelt welcome home and thank you for his service!

Dean

scrapcan
07-14-2011, 03:48 PM
If you can get on the forums along the way you might holler at a few when you go through. A beer and a cool shade tree would do you both good. It would also give a few of us a chance to thank those who do/did it for the rest of us. A coworker of my wife's is much a part of the Marine Corp Association here in Wyoming. If you go through Laramie, WY or Cheyenne, WY let me know and I will get you in touch with him.

Tom-ADC
07-14-2011, 04:01 PM
Hickory were I 10 years or so younger I'd join you. Great father & son trip regardless of age.

bootsnthejeep
07-15-2011, 07:34 AM
Another fine forum you should familiarize yourself with and introduce yourself and your plan on is www.advrider.com. Invaluable information and lots of posted experience with trips just like the one you are planning. And extraordinary helpful people as well.

Finster101
07-15-2011, 07:44 AM
Sounds like a great trip. Fine looking Marine and Daughter you have there. Get off the interstate as much as you can. I went to Alaska and back last summer 11,800 miles and did as little intestate as possible. It is a beautiful and interesting country out there. Stop in an internet cafe from time to time and keep us updated. Stay Safe!

James

casterofboolits
07-15-2011, 10:19 AM
Sounds like a great trip. Fine looking Marine and Daughter you have there. Get off the interstate as much as you can. I went to Alaska and back last summer 11,800 miles and did as little intestate as possible. It is a beautiful and interesting country out there. Stop in an internet cafe from time to time and keep us updated. Stay Safe!

James

+1+ Fine looking children

smoked turkey
07-15-2011, 02:41 PM
What blessed dad you are to have such fine children. How blessed your children are to have such a fine dad. Funny how it often works that way isn't it. Not always but mostly. Dads are a key in the process of overall development of their children. Sadly lots of kids don't have a dad. They just have a father. Looks like you are still doing good work as a dad. Enjoy the trip, and I don't mean just the road trip. Be safe and let your son know we are very proud of him.

mold maker
07-15-2011, 02:49 PM
The world needs a lot more Dad's like you.
Tell your son "Thanks for his service."

mroliver77
07-15-2011, 06:13 PM
Hickory has a fine family that's for sure. I met him here on this board and we have become pals. We have been to each others place a few times and his wife invited my kid and Ito his 60th Bday party a while back. My daughter just adores him!

Have a great time Dennis!
Jay

Fishman
07-16-2011, 09:17 AM
I'm a little jealous! You are going to have some fun! my son is only 9 but he rides shotgun fully geared for up to 50 miles at a time. One day I hope to do what you are about to do.

Hickory
07-17-2011, 06:26 PM
I got into California at 11:30 am local time and my son picked me up at the airport in San Diego.

I'm on his laptop which is a piece of junk, but it works.

He gets out of the Marines on friday.
ill be doing some sight seeing in the mean time.

trooperdan
07-18-2011, 01:38 PM
Hickory, ride safe ! Lots of idiots in four-wheelers do not see bikes!

ErikO
07-18-2011, 01:58 PM
Rubber side down and wind at your back! :)

Hickory
07-18-2011, 07:15 PM
Well, I'm here in San Diego at Tom-ADC home and have had a good visit.
He was kind enough to offer to let me stay the night.

Southern California is the next thing to paradise a person will ever find on earth.
The weather is the absolute the best I've ever experienced.

Got a phone call this morning that my motorcycle has arrived and will pick it up tomorrow.

Tom has extended an offer to take me to the Battleship Missouri as he can get us both in for free. I do it.

My son gets out of the Marines on Friday, and we will begin our trip.

I'll try to keep in touch if and when I can.

Tom-ADC
07-19-2011, 11:20 AM
Actually we are going to tour the USS Midway a aircraft carrier museum.
Dennis is a great guy and good company, kind of envy him being able to make this journey with his son.