PDA

View Full Version : removing soldered front sight ramps

iron mule
07-13-2011, 09:40 PM
hey
anyone have any suggestions on the best way to remove a front sight ramp from a rifle barrel that is soldered on
preferably a way that will not damage the bluing
thanks mule

MtGun44
07-13-2011, 09:56 PM
Heat it up with a propane torch. If it is soft solder, it will fall or easily push off. Temps are low,
should not hurt anything.

If silver solder - - - - - - you need to get it red hot or very near. . . you are on your own.

Either way, the area under the sight is toast, you will need major local refinishing.

Bill

ipopum
07-13-2011, 10:29 PM
On a silver solder joint how do you control scale in the barrel?

KCSO
07-13-2011, 10:41 PM
Coat the bore with a paste made of oil and soot.

John Taylor
07-14-2011, 09:32 AM
On a silver solder joint how do you control scale in the barrel?

I have used anti spatter spray for a MIG welder but most of the time there is no problem unless you get it way to hot.

nanuk
07-14-2011, 07:41 PM
I had the same question some time ago

I never did get my sight off. I used a propane plumbers torch with a pencil flame. let it heat for well over 5 min. Nothing.

I need to use something far hotter than a propane plumbers torch. Mapp/Oxy, or propane/oxy

and the suggestion was stuff a wood dowel into the bore to carbon up.

Another guy used Mapp and it worked well.

MtGun44
07-14-2011, 11:09 PM
Silver soldering is normally done with oxy-acetylene torch.

I believe that Brownells sells a cream to protect surfaces when heated.

Bill

iron mule
07-15-2011, 08:31 PM
thanks for the ideas fellas
i am not sure if it is soft or silver solder
i think i will try the mapp torch first and if that fails go to an oxy acetylene one and will check with brownells on the scale prevent paste
any other ideas will be looked into also
i'll let you know what worked and the end results when finished
mule

David2011
07-15-2011, 11:05 PM
A customer wanted me to remove the front sight from his Remington Gamemaster. I heated the sight to orange and it wouldn't budge. This was an early Gamemaster that wasn't screwed on. I ended up grinding most of the ramp away so there was less metal to heat. It was really thin by the time I applied heat again. It heated easily and the silver solder gave way. I filed the remaining solver solder away and polished the barrel to match the rest of the gun. When I reblued it there was a shiny round silver dot on the barrel where the sight had been. Remington had silver soldered a high nickel post into the barrle and set the sight over it.

I cranked the temp on the bluing salts up to about 315 degrees and the post blued.

David

iron mule
07-17-2011, 08:25 PM
thanks david
i'll keep that in mind if it won't turn loose with heat
mule