PDA

View Full Version : Possibly Defective Mold Redux...

Naga
07-13-2011, 12:35 AM
Some of you may remember my previous thread about a defective Lyman mold. (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=113909) Well, instead of necroposting that topic back up, I decided to make a new topic covering my experiences since sending the mold back in.

I sent the mold back to Lyman, and about two weeks later, a new mold arrived. Unfortunately, I didn't have any free time to test it, so it sat in it's wrapper until last weekend.

Last weekend, I unwrapped the mold, scrubbed it down, and sat down in front of the melting pot to try it out. I casted about 100 boolits with it before I ran out of time. The result? The same problem chronicled in the aforementioned topic! I checked the mold and discovered two things. First, the production date was recent, a full year after the previous mold. Second, it again appeared that the mold halves were horizontally out of alignment.

Previously, I might have chalked this up to me doing something wrong. But this time, I was able to put this to the test. I recently bought a lee 9x18 Makarov mold. I used this as an opportunity to test it out for the first time. After about 50 wrinkled boolits, it started dropping them perfectly. The seam is hard to see, and virtually undetectable to the touch.

My only conclusion is that Lyman has sent me another defective mold. I noticed that it was inspected by "Cathy T.," as was my last one. Searching the forum for her name, it appears that several other people have had problems with products inspected by her.

The point of this topic is this: Below are pictures of the replacement mold I was sent. Please look at them and confirm or deny my sanity. If my suspicions are confirmed, I will send the mold back, along with a letter asking for someone aside from "Cathy T." to do the final product inspection.

I will also take this opportunity to ask for suggestions for a non-Lyman mold for my Finnish M39 Mosin Nagant, which barrel slugs at .3112", and throat slugs at .3113".

Pictures (and yes, these are from the replacement mold, not the original one:)

a.squibload
07-13-2011, 03:51 AM
I can see it.
Not sure I would accept a new mold like that.

I'm no expert on mold making, wouldn't they clamp the halves together
before cutting the holes?
How the heck would they get offset like that?
Also, not making excuses for them, but would the step be wiped out by sizing?

MBTcustom
07-13-2011, 07:00 AM
The two halves of the mold are closed simultaneously on the cherrie and are kept in alignment by the alignment pins in the mold. It could be they got some trash in there or something that pushed the halves cattywampus.
I have a lyman mold that has been used so much that they dont line up exactly right anymore. the sizer busts em down alright but you have grooves that are realy uneven as you roll a boolit. The good news is that the boolits dont seem to be affected by this because even though the grooves are uneven, they are symmetrical side to side.
Even so, If that was a new mold or if that was what Lyman calls a replacement, I would be raising all kinds of holy hell with them. Those molds are too expensive to have flaws, and they cant afford to be putting out junk like that when you can buy a lee mold with handles for $17.

07-13-2011, 10:42 AM
Lyman needs to learn that their mould cutting and quality control departments are not up to the task. The only way that will happen is when the accounting department becomes involved. Return the mould, ask for a complete refund -- including the cost of return postage -- and buy a mould from another company, including the many custom mould makers.

nanuk
07-14-2011, 09:22 PM
Last weekend, I unwrapped the mold, scrubbed it down, and sat down in front of the melting pot to try it out. I casted about 100 boolits with it before I ran out of time. The result? The same problem chronicled in the aforementioned topic! I checked the mold and discovered two things. First, the production date was recent, a full year after the previous mold. Second, it again appeared that the mold halves were horizontally out of alignment.

Just wondering, how do you know this is a new production run? do they stamp the mould?
or a note inside the box?

are you sure CathyT didn't just inspect your mould and put it back in a new box, with a new date paper and mail it back thinking you won't notice?
did you mark the mould somewhere inconspicuous?

perhaps the inspectors get a bonus if their moulds don't come back.

something doesn't smell right here

Naga
07-14-2011, 10:30 PM
Just wondering, how do you know this is a new production run? do they stamp the mould?
or a note inside the box?

are you sure CathyT didn't just inspect your mould and put it back in a new box, with a new date paper and mail it back thinking you won't notice?
did you mark the mould somewhere inconspicuous?

perhaps the inspectors get a bonus if their moulds don't come back.

something doesn't smell right here

I know the mold is a new production mold because they stamp a date on the side, and this mold was produced after I took possession of the previous mold.

nicholst55
07-14-2011, 10:59 PM
The mold blocks are visibly misaligned; I agree with 462 - send it back and politely insist on a refund.

Dale53
07-15-2011, 12:29 AM
Before you send that mould back, check and see if the alignment pins are sticking out far enough. The pins are kind of tapered and if they are not out far enough, it is possible for the mould to be out of alignment.

The cure is simple - CAREFULLY, using a punch and drive the pins out a bit. This MAY be all it takes.

Just a thought...

Dale53

MtGun44
07-15-2011, 01:49 PM
I agree with Dale53, up to a point - try to move the blocks when fully closed, and if they
can move - then pushing the pins in a bit more may fix it.

However - if the pins are fully engaged, the mold is trash and needs to be sent back.

It pains me to see an old line company like Lyman, with years of good products behind it,
putting out stuff like this. OBVIOUSLY defective mold that any inspector that has
any idea what they are doing should have caught.

If this is one incompetent or badly trained inspector, this 'Cathy', she needs retraining
or replacement. Of course, in a perfect world, the machinist that made the mold would
do some inspecting and toss that one in the rework bin. I could be used to make a larger
caliber mold, perhaps, but is trash as it is.

Bill

tomme boy
07-15-2011, 04:32 PM
So are the Lyman molds now made in China like every thing else is nowadays?That might be why QC is gone.

casterofboolits
07-15-2011, 05:22 PM
Looks defective to me, I'm amazed that got out the door.

Poor machining, poor quality control! Poor management that doesn't give a crap

I have over a hundred Lyman four cavity moulds and have only gotten one bad one. SAD!

no34570
07-15-2011, 06:18 PM
Mate
I would send it back and ask for a refund or one that passes QC,but not by Cathy T
;)

maglvr
07-17-2011, 01:26 AM
Sounds like Cathy T. needs to be put in charge of keeping the shop paper towel holder filled. ;)

nanuk
07-18-2011, 08:26 AM
I've never found a date stamp on my lyman moulds

where are they located?

Naga
07-20-2011, 07:26 PM
I've never found a date stamp on my lyman moulds

where are they located?

I'm guessing it's something they recently started.

The sprue plate half of the mold reads:
LYMAN
04-11

The other half reads:
LYMAN
314299BV
1H

I'm assuming the "04-11" is the month and year of manufacture.

The mold halves mate up solidly, with no wiggle room detected. I don't think that driving out the indexing pins will solve the problem. Looks like this one is also going back.

Can't wait for my NOE 316299 later this year! In the meantime, the Lee 185gr I just ordered should hold me over.

nanuk
07-21-2011, 05:45 AM
thanks Naga: I'll have to check mine....

although I did notice that mine were also "Inspected" by CathyT.....

now I"m worried!