PDA

View Full Version : mold question

adrians
07-13-2011, 12:11 AM
:hi, i have just got the ideal mold #311257 it 's suppossed to drop @115grns but thats all i know about it .
could this be used in say my 30-30 and either of my milsurp 7.62 x51's(.308?)?,i have quite a few old original ideal load manuals but have'nt looked through them yet (i'll have to "dig em out"), any information on the boolit design and its intended use would be most helpfull and appreciated.
thank you and good night .:twisted:it's bedtime for me:twisted:

Echo
07-13-2011, 10:13 AM
Hmmm - a plain-base RN design with sufficient lube-carrying capability. Cast from WW+2%Sn, should do fine for a short range plinker or critter-busting. What is the as-cast diameter? How will it fit the rifles you intend to use it with?

adrians
07-13-2011, 06:31 PM
Hmmm - a plain-base RN design with sufficient lube-carrying capability. Cast from WW+2%Sn, should do fine for a short range plinker or critter-busting. What is the as-cast diameter? How will it fit the rifles you intend to use it with?

not sure i have'nt had chance to play with it yet.

i googled it and found a post from 2007 here on this forum.
floodgate wrote,
i paraphrase,,,, "very interesting bullet, desighned by Col H.C Young in 1904.
he says the two base bands are .311 and the front band is .319 dia (to stop the boolit from receding into the uncrimped shell, the "dirt scraper band",i guess thats the .319 was designed by DR W.G Hudson it is believed to stop the lead going back because when using b/p it was supported by a full case, but when smokeless came around they needed something to keep the lead out of the shell".
all sound very interesting i;m going to have to cast a few to have a closer look and play with it :bigsmyl2:.
any more info is always welcome .
:twisted:[smilie=w::evil:

Wayne Smith
07-14-2011, 07:57 AM
Designed for the 32-20? Got to cast a few and measure them, see what that mold delivers. Potentially a great plinking boolet for the larger .30 calibers and probably a Marlin Microgroove barrel. Got a 32-20??

adrians
07-14-2011, 06:10 PM
no 32-20 here but i could just be a matter of time now:bigsmyl2:.
i'm a big believer in getting the mold first and matching the boolits to a suitable firearm,[smilie=1:
but convincing my wife this is the proper proceedure is always like walking on glass,
and i always cut my feet.:evil::violin::evil: