PDA

View Full Version : BFR--Somtimes it just takes a womans touch

PacMan
07-12-2011, 06:11 PM
For about three months now i have been trying to find a BFR Short cylinder .44 mag. The quest has been sort of on and off mostly off since i had ran up against so many brick walls when i first started without any luck.

This morning i drove over to a gun shop that i do not visit much because it is about 65 miles from home. While looking around and handling different guns i made the comment that i had been looking for a BFR in 44 mag. The lady that works in the shop over heard me and took the information and then walked away. Well after i felt that i had about wore out my welcome by handling so many guns and not buying any i thanked the salesman that i had kept busy and went to leave.

The lady sales person asked where i was going and said to give her five more minutes and she would have my pistol.In about two she said she had one on the way and would be there tomorrow. I wrote my check out and now waiting for the call.

Somtimes it just takes a womans touch.

Dwight

crabo
07-13-2011, 01:03 AM
Please post pictures when you get it.

Whitworth
07-13-2011, 07:24 AM
Excellent! Look forward to seeing it!

tek4260
07-13-2011, 07:46 AM
So in other words she uses Sports South :)

I just checked and they are showing 2 in stock.

Moonie
07-13-2011, 11:13 AM
Please post pictures when you get it.

Our moto, without pictures it didn't happen...

:kidding:

PacMan
07-13-2011, 11:35 AM
Not supossed to arrive untill this evening. Hope it shows.If so will try and post pictures tonight after i dirty it up a little.

Whitworth
07-13-2011, 01:41 PM
Not supossed to arrive untill this evening. Hope it shows.If so will try and post pictures tonight after i dirty it up a little.

At least you have your priorities straight!

PacMan
07-14-2011, 03:10 PM
Here is the picture i promised.

Picked her up yesterday eneving and the first two thoughts that came to mind was this thing is heavy (weighed out at 3 1/2 #) and after looking it over the 2nd thought was that old Elmer would have a hell of a time blowing this one up. There is nothing wimmpy about it at all except for the @$%^# front sight. It has got to go.

Did not get to shoot it untill this morning because all the bullets that i had cast up were .431 and .432 and they would not fit the throats. I cast up a few Noe 432 265 grainers and AC them and ran them through my sizer which sized them at .4305 which is still to large to slip thu the throats but with its nose design they would chamber.

First thing this morning i cast some slugs and sluged the throats and barrel. Throats all came out the same .430. Refershing have all the throats the same for once.

Sluged the barrel 6 times and came out with .4305 to .4307. Not sure what those measurnments will lead to. I am a little troubled with them but will see.

I like the fact that the cylinder is long enough that bullet seating depth should never be a problem.

The jury is out on the grips.I did try two loads this morning ,2400 & ww296, with the Noe bullet one mild the other hot and both stayed under two inches at 25 yards.

Between the weight of the gun and the grips recoil was way easier to control than i ever expected.

The gun is tighter and smoother buy a long ways than any Ruger that i have handled.The cylinder chambers are all the same along with the throats.
With a loaded case ther is only .004 gap between the case head and recoil sheild and the same .004 cylinder to barrel gap.

Over all i cannot complain and i like this one.It is nice to have a gun that does not shake rattle and roll all the time.

Now to try and find a new front sight and a holster that it will fit. Any ideals on either from you guys will be appreciated.

Dwight

Whitworth
07-14-2011, 03:50 PM
Very nice!! Congratulations once again!

MGySgt
07-14-2011, 04:53 PM
Any holster that will fit the Ruger SBH will fit it. I have a BFR in 475 and an old Hunter holster that I bought for my 3 screw SBH fits fine.

PacMan
07-14-2011, 06:49 PM
Thanks for the info. MGySgt. I think i know where to find one.

saz
07-14-2011, 11:26 PM
I have a pancake holster for my SBH from Simply Rugged, and I will never look back. GREAT craftsmanship and a heck of a nice guy to boot. Mine goes everywhere. I have had it for 5 years or so and it still looks good too. Check it out http://www.simplyrugged.com/loaded-pancake/

tek4260
07-15-2011, 07:50 AM
My 475 BFR doesn't fit any of my holsters made for Ruger revolvers. I don't have any Hunter holsters though, and nothing in nylon. Those may fit it.

Is the cylinder diameter the same of that 44 as the 475? I would think it would be. If that is the case, Rob at Simplyrugged has made pancake holsters for them and should be able to fix you up.