PDA

View Full Version : need campfire breakfast

7br
01-09-2007, 10:55 PM
I will be attending a Trappers Rendezvous with my son's Boy Scout troop this weekend. The boys cook for the boys and the adults cook for the adults. I am responsible for Sunday breakfast. We will tear down after breakfast so fast cleanup is necessary. Ideas?

I will have a cooking fire, a coleman two burner stove, and a dutch oven.

waksupi
01-09-2007, 11:01 PM
Mark, go to recipes, and take a look at my pesole recipe. Some eggs on the side, and you are good to go. Make the pesole in the dutch oven, do the eggs on the lid, assuming it is a good oven without the basting tits.

VTDW
01-10-2007, 12:02 AM
Zip-Loc Omelettes

Fast and easy

1. Use quart size Ziploc freezer bags.
2. Add whatever you like such as chopped ham (preferably cooked wild hawg sausage), onions, peppers,sausage, bacon, cooked rice, cheese ( The ones I made filled up about 1/4 to 1/3 of the bag).
3. Break eggs into a bowl ( 2 large eggs per Ziploc bag).
4. Add seasoning to the eggs such as pepper (a little Picante is great), hot sauce, seasoning salt, onion powder ect.
5. Beat/mix the eggs and seasonings well.
6. Divide the egg mixture evenly and put into the bags.
7. Mix/shake the egg and mixture of goodies together and let mixture settle into the bottom of the bag.
8. Make sure to get the air out of the bag and zip it up.
9. Place the bags into rolling/boiling water for 13 minutes.
10. Open the bags and the omelet will roll out.

The great thing about them is they make a quick, hot, rib-sticking meal with no clean-up and all you need is boiling water. The wife loves them because she just sits back and waits.

Try it and let me know what you think!

Dave

waksupi
01-10-2007, 12:23 AM
VTDW, GREAT idea! I'll give that a try!

Lee
01-10-2007, 02:09 AM
VTDW, Oh Yeah!! Thanks, that one goes ta the top of the Quick "n" Easy list!!
And don't overlook waksupi's pesole, either. Although cleanup is a little bit more, the end results "WILL" make you a local legend!..................Lee:)

David R
01-10-2007, 07:26 AM
Been doin it since I was a kid.

take bacon, rub it in the bottom of a paper bag. get the bag good and greasy. cook the bacon in the bag ABOVE the flames. Whed the bacon is sizzeling good, drop in a couple of eggs. When done, tear away the paper and eat.

Its a great thing for kids to do.

It takes a while, use a long stick, keep the bag out of the flames so it doesn't catch on fire.

Impresses the heck out of the children and some adults.

David

Scrounger
01-10-2007, 11:18 AM
Been doin it since I was a kid.

take bacon, rub it in the bottom of a paper bag. get the bag good and greasy. cook the bacon in the bag ABOVE the flames. Whed the bacon is sizzeling good, drop in a couple of eggs. When done, tear away the paper and eat.

Its a great thing for kids to do.

It takes a while, use a long stick, keep the bag out of the flames so it doesn't catch on fire.

Impresses the heck out of the children and some adults.

David

Since paper bags aren't as common as they used to be, be prepared for CarpetMan to ask you if he can use the plastic bags from WalMart instead. I'm impressed with the great ideas I've read here.

Glen
01-10-2007, 12:06 PM
Also, the zip-loc omelettes can be prepared ahead of time and frozen. Then dump the frozen bag right into the boiling water to cook.

Junior1942
01-10-2007, 04:12 PM
And don't overlook waksupi's pesole, either.
Where's the recipe??

7br
01-10-2007, 04:16 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=3821&highlight=pesole

Hunter
01-14-2007, 04:10 AM
How about some good country ham with red eye gravy. That is hard to beat in a cast iron skillet over a fire. After the ham is cooked the skillet is primed for scrambled eggs. Don't forget the apple butter and bread.
Sausage gravy is also pretty easy to make.

Hackleback
01-14-2007, 06:03 PM
Dutch oven cooking is fairly low tech. dice a package of bacon, toss in a DO, fry til almost done, add vegies as you see fit cook till done, add eggs, scramble all together. clean up; wipe out DO with paper towls, if something sticks, flip DO upside down on fire and burn it out. You could serve on paper plates and toss the trash in the fire. Bake biscits in a second DO if you so desire.

Just a thought.

C1PNR
01-14-2007, 08:32 PM
Dutch oven cooking is fairly low tech. dice a package of bacon, toss in a DO, fry til almost done, add vegies as you see fit cook till done, add eggs, scramble all together. clean up; wipe out DO with paper towls, if something sticks, flip DO upside down on fire and burn it out. You could serve on paper plates and toss the trash in the fire. Bake biscits in a second DO if you so desire.

Just a thought.
I don't know - this sounds kind of complicated. First you put one thing in, then you put another thing in, then you put another thing in and you twirl it all about!

Hmmm, sounds almost like something we did at the roller skating rink about 35 or 40 years ago![smilie=1:

Junior1942
01-17-2007, 10:21 AM
Zip-Loc Omelettes

Fast and easy

1. Use quart size Ziploc freezer bags.
2. Add whatever you like such as chopped ham (preferably cooked wild hawg sausage), onions, peppers,sausage, bacon, cooked rice, cheese ( The ones I made filled up about 1/4 to 1/3 of the bag).
3. Break eggs into a bowl ( 2 large eggs per Ziploc bag).
4. Add seasoning to the eggs such as pepper (a little Picante is great), hot sauce, seasoning salt, onion powder ect.
5. Beat/mix the eggs and seasonings well.
6. Divide the egg mixture evenly and put into the bags.
7. Mix/shake the egg and mixture of goodies together and let mixture settle into the bottom of the bag.
8. Make sure to get the air out of the bag and zip it up.
9. Place the bags into rolling/boiling water for 13 minutes.
10. Open the bags and the omelet will roll out.

The great thing about them is they make a quick, hot, rib-sticking meal with no clean-up and all you need is boiling water. The wife loves them because she just sits back and waits.

Try it and let me know what you think!

DaveI froze one of these last night and tried it this morning--it was great!! I used a pint Zip freezer bag, 2 eggs, 1 tps minced dried onion, dash salt, dash pepper, and added 1 tbsp of chopped up ham. I boiled it in the bag a few minutes this morning, and it tasted like an omelette. Delicious!! Next camping trip I'm freezing a couple of these beforehand.

Beerd
01-20-2007, 04:30 PM
7br,
How did you make out at the rondevoo?

7br
01-20-2007, 09:35 PM
We had a pretty bad ice storm across Wichita last weekend. The Boy Scout troop decided not to chance the roads. Funny thing is that a couple of people told me that once they got north of Wichita, the roads were clear. They made it up for Saturday and had a good time. There is always next year. We have had about six inches of snow today and more forecast for tomorrow. This is after dropping about $200 on camping gear. Oh well, the kids had some of their friends over and we used the cots last night

I'll be taking my middle son to Exploration Place on Feb 9 for an Webelos overnighter there. Feb 10 is the next Boy Scout camp out for my oldest son. The 11th will be our scout Sunday followed by a chili feed.

No rest for the wicked I guess. I am hoping to take the kids on a couple of camping/squirrel hunting trips this summer. Jake might be interested in deer hunting next season.

MT Gianni
01-21-2007, 05:04 PM
Mark, How many boys do you have and how old? Enjoy em while your young. Gianni.

7br
01-21-2007, 07:51 PM
I have two boys, 12 and 10. One daughter who is 8. The oldest is into skateboarding, middle into soccer and daughter is into gymnastics. All three do scouts. Grace loves to fish and comes by it naturally. My mother also loves to fish and my sister in Albuquerque is trying to set up a fly fishing trip for us over spring break. We will have to see if time and funds will allow it. I am actually having more fun going to scouts with my kids than I had going as a kid.