PDA

View Full Version : Potter pot

abunaitoo
07-11-2011, 08:28 PM
I have an old Potter bottom pour pot.
It's missing the wire.
Any ideas what I might do to get it working agin????

Dale53
07-11-2011, 08:41 PM
It's been over fifty years since I have seen a Potter. I presume you mean the line cord that powers the pot. You might take it to your nearest electrical supply store - they will know what to give you.

If the Potter uses a flat plug (like the old clothes irons did) you may have some difficulty finding one that will fit (or maybe not). I am sure something can be rigged up. If know a friendly electrician, he could easily help you. If you lived a bit closer:veryconfu, I would be happy to help.

Good luck!
Dale53

abunaitoo
07-11-2011, 09:24 PM
Yes, the power cord.
On the back of the pot there are just two prongs sticking out.
I'm guessing there was somekind of insulated plug the went there.
I'll check some electrical stores.
Pot is in good condition.
Kind of small.
Came with four ingot pans.
I'd like to get it working just because.

Dale53
07-11-2011, 09:26 PM
abunaitoo;
Yeah, that takes a flat plug similar to the clothes irons of yesteryear. It is possible that an electrical supply shop might have one. They were actually standard at the time - it's just that the time has passed...

Dale53

bumpo628
07-12-2011, 12:44 AM
Do an ebay search for vintage power cord:
http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=power+cord+vintage&_sacat=0&_stpos=91763&_sop=15&gbr=1&_odkw=power+cord+iron&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

There's bound to be something there that'll work.

abunaitoo
07-12-2011, 01:47 AM
Great idea.
I'll go look right now.
Thank you

beagle
07-12-2011, 12:06 PM
Got a potter huh? Well worth finding a cord for and I think the ones made for the old waffle irons are the right ones also. They're around.

I started casting in a Potter back in the 60s. No thero control so you had to plug and unplug it but it was a great little, simple pot.

Wish they still made them./beagle

Echo
07-12-2011, 12:08 PM
The original power cord had a control built in to the cord. Ace Hardware has the old 'iron-type' cord for $15 - I plug my 'Cute Little Thing' into a wall socket connected to a light dimmer for control. I find that I use it more than any other furnace. And I made another portable dimmer setup in a double box - two sockets, one straight, the other from the light dimmer for control.

abunaitoo
07-12-2011, 03:34 PM
I got the instructions with it.
I have the "C" model.
No temp control.
The "D" model has the control.
Couldn't find anything on ebay.
I'll go to Ace and see that the have.

The dimmer idea sounds great.
How does it handle the load?????
I would think it would get hot.

shaune509
07-12-2011, 04:23 PM
If Ace does not have the cord try an applaince parts dealer or used applaince shop. You may even find one at goodwill thieft shop that the plug end to the pot is good and then replace a bad / frayed cord with a 16/14 powertool cord from Homedepo.
Shaune509

Echo
07-13-2011, 04:59 PM
I got the instructions with it.
I have the "C" model.
No temp control.
The "D" model has the control.
Couldn't find anything on ebay.
I'll go to Ace and see that the have.

The dimmer idea sounds great.
How does it handle the load?????
I would think it would get hot.

Light dimmers can typically handle 600 watts or so, maybe 750 if you really prowl the store, but the 600 watters will do the job. I've been using one for a couple of years - actually, I use the Potter more than any other furnace. So easy, and just right for knocking out 100 boolits for testing.
And the reason they don't get hot is that they are NOT rheostats that burn up power before it can get to the controlled device. They are solid state devices that clip the AC cycle to adjust the delivered power. When it allows power through, it has very little resistance to cause the device to get hot. When the cycle is clipped, NO power gets through, so no heat developed in the dimmer.

Dean D.
07-13-2011, 07:09 PM
I have an old Potter "C" model also. Great little pot but it never had a heat control that I'm aware of. It did have an off and on switch built into the cord. The off and on switch is mounted on a nifty round iron base and the ubiquitous brown bakelite cover. Not sure if that was OEM or if one of my electrician Uncles added it post WWII. For now it is retired but I wouldn't hesitate to return it to service if needed!

Ausglock
07-13-2011, 07:32 PM
You could always go to Lee website and buy their thermostast for the 20Lb pot. It is listed as a spare part. reasonable cheap too.