PDA

View Full Version : Air powered RCBS lubesizer?

mag44uk
01-09-2007, 03:03 PM
Guys,

Has anyone any knowledge or experience in converting a RCBS lube sizer to use compressed air to pressurise the lube?

In my Vectan ( Nobel ) reloading book there is mention of a device manufactured in France by Armurerie Delmas in a town near to Marseille. This mechanical device could be adapted to Lyman or RCBS lubrisizer and could jack up output to 1200 bullets per hour. It gives no further details on how it works and I have been unable to find any info on the net.

Having just cast 2000 429421`s I am looking at the pile knowing what I now have to do but not really that enthused into doing it:-?

Happy casting,

Tony

GP100man
01-09-2007, 04:46 PM
i dont think my fingers can operate that fast!!!
they all dont have to be done at one sitting either.

GP
:castmine:

Dale53
01-09-2007, 05:21 PM
I seriously increased my bullet output with my RCBS lube/sizer by replacing it with a STAR:mrgreen:.

Actually, I use both of them. The RCBS works well for many things but the STAR has it all over the RCBS when doing large quantities of pistol bullets. The Lee push through is used when I pan lube large quantities of very soft bullets. Incidentally, the STAR can be used this way, also. The STAR's die is not long enough for big caliber, heavy bullets in the 40/65 and 45/70 (I tried unsuccessfully to run them through twice while reversing the direction to try to lube all grooves). However, you can pan lube then size them in the STAR OR the LEE Push Through Sizer.

Dale53

Lloyd Smale
01-09-2007, 08:18 PM
Check with Gussy on this fourm. He is the owner of castingstuff.com and a few years ago i helped him do some testing on a spring pressure unit for them that worked very simular to the star and in testing it actually held pressure quite a bit better then the star. I could lube up to 50 .512 bullet with it without touching the crank.

44woody
01-09-2007, 08:48 PM
Toney Magma Engineering makes such a device for the star luber you might ask them if it can be converted to fit your luber there # is 480-987-3301 :castmine: 44Woody

mag44uk
01-13-2007, 09:09 AM
Guys,

Thanks for all your replies.

I would love to get hold of a Star unit but,unfortunately,they dont surface much in the UK.I have been looking for one here for years!

Postage for one from the US would,I guess, be high because of the weight.May be in the US on holiday later this year so perhaps the hold luggage may be on the heavy side coming back[smilie=1: !

Thanks for the info regarding the Stars ability with longer bullets.I do cast the Lyman 535 gn Postell for the 45-70.
I will check out all your suggestions and report back.

Thanks once again.

Tony

KYCaster
01-13-2007, 11:39 AM
Dale: Just adjust the punch to lube the bottom grooves, then reset the punch to lube the top grooves and run them all through again. It works for me with 410gr. 40's and 525gr 45's. I know its two opperations, but its still lots faster than those other sizers.

Jerry

dagamore
01-14-2007, 04:29 AM
Mag44k, just keep in mind, i have flown with BA and United Air to/from the states and Germany in the past year, and both of them dropped your allowed weight per bag from 75.b to 55lb and you are still only allowed 2 checked bags :(.

But hey check it if you got it, iirc it was only ~75usd for a third bag (ok a box(with my computers stuff in it)) and thats alot cheaper and faster then USPS.

No_1
01-14-2007, 07:49 AM
I have thought of doing just what you are talking about. The hole in the nut that covers the lube reservior which the pressure handle passes thru looks like you could remove the handle and shaft then run a 1/4" NPT tap into it. Add a small regulater like http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/itemdisplay/displayItem.do?itemid=90590&CategoryName=&SubCategoryName= , use solid sticks or just melt your sticks and pour them in. Set the regulator to about 2 PSI or so then adjust the psi to suit. I believe it would apply the pressure the same as turning the handle but be more consistant. The lube should not leak out much when there is no projectile in the sizer since the bullet "ram" in the sizer die will block the lube holes in the sizer die when the handle is in the up position just like it does with the hand crank version.

Robert

Guys,

Has anyone any knowledge or experience in converting a RCBS lube sizer to use compressed air to pressurise the lube?

In my Vectan ( Nobel ) reloading book there is mention of a device manufactured in France by Armurerie Delmas in a town near to Marseille. This mechanical device could be adapted to Lyman or RCBS lubrisizer and could jack up output to 1200 bullets per hour. It gives no further details on how it works and I have been unable to find any info on the net.

Having just cast 2000 429421`s I am looking at the pile knowing what I now have to do but not really that enthused into doing it:-?

Happy casting,

Tony

376Steyr
01-16-2007, 10:16 AM
Just a safety note: The casting for the RCBS sizer wasn't designed to be a pressure vessel. If you do rig up a compressed air system, I'd suggest wearing a full face shield until you're sure everything is going to hold together at maximum pressure. There's a possibility the luber might decide to fracture catastrophically, and I'm sure that would be quite interesting at short range. Good luck!

Willbird
01-16-2007, 01:11 PM
The lyman lube sizers, and I bet the rcbs seem to have one thing in common, the screw that pulls the piston down the tube to force lube out actually exits the casting at the bottom of the tool, SO you could add a Bimba air cylinder in that area under your bench to PULL the piston down the tube and force the lube out...I would think you may want to set it up so that pressure is applied only when the ram is fully down, and have it released before the ram moves back up...all pretty easily done with air valves... I think you could do it without mods to the lube sizer itself other than making a new rod to pull the lube piston...so nothing lost if it did not work to your liking. The Bimba air cyl like I mentioned are under $20 on evilbay, add an air regulator and a valve to turn the air on and off, your good to go.

Bill

Dale53
01-16-2007, 02:57 PM
It seems to me that a short extension on top of the lube/sizer with a spring in it would be far safer than air pressure. Further, it should be easier to make, also.

Just thinkin' out loud...

Dale53

mag44uk
01-19-2007, 02:32 PM
Thanks for your replies guys.
I had always thought that a male air line fitting might simply be screwed into the top cap (rethread etc). I could simply plug in the airline from my compressor.
That seemed abit too simple and obvious really!!
I do like the idea of a spring loaded asembly that could be added to the top cap.
Perhaps I could fabricate a tube with a spring loaded plunger in it which would pass thru the hole in the existing cap.
I have two rcbs sizers on my bench and will have a good look at them over this weekend.
Will report back in due course[smilie=6:

Tony

Gussy
01-19-2007, 04:03 PM
Look at the ALF on the for sale items list. The wheel is already invented and it took several tries.
Gus