PDA

View Full Version : Lee Loader

confederatemule
07-10-2011, 10:25 PM
What is the difference between these two Lee Loader. They, both, will reload a shot shell. Is one for one size load, only? Is the other for multiple size loads? I don't know, and would like to know. I've never reloaded a shell or cartridge. I'm just curious.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i223/ConfederateMule/Loaders/leeloader12ga.jpg
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i223/ConfederateMule/Loaders/images.jpg

Thanks for any help.

Mule

BCall
07-10-2011, 11:23 PM
They are basically the same. The second one was the deluxe? model I believe. Instead of an adjustable shot measure, it has 3 different size shot measures, size depending upon gauge and length. And it has crimp starters for 6 or 8 pint crimps plus a wad guide to help insert the wad easier.

Both of them will only reload one length of shell, and they are both capable of reloading different weights of shot. The main things are the crimp starters and wad guide that are there to make it easier to reload.

confederatemule
07-10-2011, 11:31 PM
Thanks, BCall, for the explanation. I am seriously thinking of getting into reloading and my plan is to start with Lee Loaders.

Mule

BCall
07-11-2011, 12:55 AM
Mule, just a word of advice, from a guy who loves to tinker with Lee Loaders. If you are serious about reloading shotgun shell, you would probably be better served with a Lee Load-All press, or better yet, an MEC 600Jr.

Don't get me wrong, I use my Lee Loaders, but they can be finicky to get to work right. I only reload buckshot and slugs in 12 and 20, and the Lee Loader works, but having used a press in the past, I can tell you it is much easier to get very good results with the press. I don't currently have a shotgun press, but if I was going to reload very many with regular shot, I would for sure have a press. And the Lee Load-All works and can be had for about $40.

Now, if you're like me though, and just want to tinker, have at it. I have a 410 one that I use regularly to load a few 410 shells with. It's a custom job a member of this forum made a while back. It makes nice shells. I have an arbor press though, and have found that using it instead of a hammer for crimping, bullet seating, priming, sizing and such with the Lee loaders makes it go alot smoother and easier. I no longer use a hammer with them. Good luck, and no matter what you do, I would start with a good reloading manual.

NoZombies
07-11-2011, 01:26 AM
As far as I know, the adjustable shot measure was an earlier model, with the 3 scooper model coming later. I *think* the differentiation for the "deluxe" model was the inclusion of the wad guide an second crimp starter. I could be very wrong, but that's what I was told when I was inquiring.

I have a link someplace, but there's a guy making new .410 hand loaders. I plan to get one and play one of these days.

410 and other gauge hand loaders (http://lanesreloading.co.cc/)

JIMinPHX
07-11-2011, 02:20 AM
One is the standard model. Someone added a crimp starter to that one. The other is the deluxe model, with all the extra stuff included. Both versions were offered in various sizes.

I've always been a pretty big fan of Lee Loaders for metallic cartridges, but I never took a shine to the ones they made for shotshells. I tried a few of them & I really didn't have very good results with modern plastic hulls. I was later told that they had been designed to work with paper hulls. The addition of the crimp starter was supposed to make them work with the plastic ones, but they did not do that to my satisfaction.

I made an improved version of a .410 ga Lee Loader type gizmo that I got to work well with Win HS .410 hulls. I was going to sell them, but I got gun shy due to liability & the price of product liability insurance. You can see the results of my little project here - http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=20002&page=3

I'm glad to see that someone is selling them again. I'll be interested to hear how well that version works.

As has already been said, I too recommend that if you want to start loading shotshells, you should get something other than a Lee Loader. The shot shell Lee Loader is the one Lee product that I can't recommend.

confederatemule
07-11-2011, 02:48 PM
Hey, guys, does the deluxe loader load 2 3/4" and/or 3" shells.
With a 3" loader can shorter shells be loaded, but, not the other way around?

Thanks
Mule

NoZombies
07-11-2011, 11:51 PM
All of the lee shotshell loaders will only load one length of shells. You'd need 2 sets to load 2 lengths.

confederatemule
07-12-2011, 05:23 AM
Thanks, to all you fellers, for the information, facts and opinions.

My plan is to have a Lee Loader for each caliber and gauge gun that I have. I may or may not buy a bench mounted press system, but, I will probably buy the different Lee Dies and a Lee Hand Press for rifle and pistol cartridges. For shotshells and .410 bore, I will probably buy a MEC 600jr press and add the necessary dies. Course this will be over an extended time period and everything will be second hand. I'll probably buy most of it from E-bay.

Mule