PDA

View Full Version : Current High Standard Opinions

bowfin
07-10-2011, 09:00 PM
I have an older High Standard Model 103 Sport King that I dearly love and is a very accurate pistol.

With three sons and countless friends of sons, one .22 pistol just doesn't cut it. I am thinking about another purchase of a High Standard, but I don't know how the currently manufactured ones stack up against the old models manufactured in Connecticut.

An input or knowledge is appreciated.

Ziptar
07-11-2011, 07:17 AM
The original High Standard, Inc went out of business a long time ago.

Since then clones have been produced by Mitchell Arms and the current company in Texas. From what I've read the new clones don't compare to the originals, other than in name only.

I've got an old High Standard Riot 18-7 12 Gauge and its the finest Pump shotgun I've ever owned. I'd hate to think what one would be like if manufactured today in a world of plastic and MIM parts.

You might be better off looking for a second original High Standard or maybe a used Ruger MKI or MKII instead.

casterofboolits
07-11-2011, 10:10 AM
The original High Standard, Inc went out of business a long time ago.

Since then clones have been produced by Mitchell Arms and the current company in Texas. From what I've read the new clones don't compare to the originals, other than in name only.

I've got an old High Standard Riot 18-7 12 Gauge and its the finest Pump shotgun I've ever owned. I'd hate to think what one would be like if manufactured today in a world of plastic and MIM parts.

You might be better off looking for a second original High Standard or maybe a used Ruger MKI or MKII instead.

+1 Even if you find a used one, the sellers seem to think they are made out of GOLD!

I have a Sport King with 6" barrel and a Military Tournament with a 6" bull barrel. and both are deadly accurate.

I have the HS 18-7 riot gun too. Trade in from Miami, Fla. Slick action. Had to make a firing pin for it as none were to be had from any source.

bobthenailer
07-11-2011, 11:14 AM
I have been shooting the HI STD 22 pistols since 1976 when i bought my first one a Victor for NRA BE matches . and have accumulated several others since .
The orgional HI Std from hamdem are the most desirable with Hartford modles next in line as long as there barrels are not attached to the frame with a bolt ! instead of the push button
IMO say away from all other manufactures copies of the Hi Std pistols ! Quality is varied with most ive seen from Mitchell, i knew about 10 people who bought them and they all had issues with them sometimes quite a few issues .
The Texas Hi Std also have to many problems ! ive known 3 people who bought them only 1 worked correctly . 1 was a 10 x victor (hand built by there master gun smith ) would only function reliabley with ELEY 10x ammo sent it back a few time they never fixed it to his satisfaction ! he sold it & bought a Hammerli .
I see them reguarly at gun shops but expect to pay at least $300 on up to $500 with some models going to $800+ in good condtion .

Blov
07-12-2011, 07:12 PM
I have been shooting the HI STD 22 pistols since 1976 when i bought my first one a Victor for NRA BE matches . and have accumulated several others since .
The orgional HI Std from hamdem are the most desirable with Hartford modles next in line as long as there barrels are not attached to the frame with a bolt ! instead of the push button
IMO say away from all other manufactures copies of the Hi Std pistols ! Quality is varied with most ive seen from Mitchell, i knew about 10 people who bought them and they all had issues with them sometimes quite a few issues .
The Texas Hi Std also have to many problems ! ive known 3 people who bought them only 1 worked correctly . 1 was a 10 x victor (hand built by there master gun smith ) would only function reliabley with ELEY 10x ammo sent it back a few time they never fixed it to his satisfaction ! he sold it & bought a Hammerli .
I see them reguarly at gun shops but expect to pay at least $300 on up to $500 with some models going to $800+ in good condtion .

+1 Try and stay with the older one's. I have a 103 supermatic trophy that is fantastic, the newer one's can be problematic.

Bret4207
07-13-2011, 07:47 AM
I have a hard time believing any of the new ones can stack up against my FIls Supermatic. That thing is just plain scary accurate!

FWIW- I bought a Ruger 22/45 that will almost equal the Supermatic on a good day. The sights and trigger just aren't as good. You might want to consider that as an alternative, very rugged, reliable guns.

44man
07-14-2011, 02:00 PM
No clone will out shoot an original. I shot several Ruger clones over the years and most were junk.
I have a 2X Swift scope on my Mark II slab side because it blew up on my .475 so this is the only place I trust it. I shot this group at 25 yards from bags. After seeing 9 shots go in the same hole I just lost it and pulled the last shot. Yeah, it was my fault. I seen it and called it. No clone will EVER do this!
Find an original High Standard or buy a Ruger.

Blov
07-14-2011, 02:24 PM
No clone will out shoot an original. I shot several Ruger clones over the years and most were junk.

Yep, completely agree. And +1 on the Ruger they are a great .22 pistol.

Matthew 25
07-15-2011, 03:25 PM
Copy that on the Ruger. Have you thought about a Single Six or other revolver? It's nice to teach folks how to shoot more than one type of gun. It'll slow down the round count a little, too.