PDA

View Full Version : Beagle

Nardoo
01-09-2007, 09:04 AM
Being bored and on holiday I tried a little beagling today. My lathe turning project is on the back burner because of the holiday period and it is too hot for shooting. One important thing I found is that the adhesive on aluminium air conditioning duct tape supplied here in Australia is not heat tolerant. After the third bullet dropped from the mold with more wrinkles than my forehead I stopped to investigate. Naturally it was too late as the glue had vapourised into the cavity and caused a lovely mess.
Two hours and half a pint of various solvents later I was casting again. I found some terrific .003" aluminium foil and after cutting it up with sharp scissors was away. Then it was carefully placing two little metal strips along side the cavity of the mold with a pair of tweezers each time I cast a bullet. Very slow but preferable to having that blasted glue in the mold again. The bullets dropped at .460" out of my .458" Lyman 457-124 with one strip per side and .462" out of my .457" RCBS 458-405GC using a double strip each side. And fairly round too.
Off to find some high temperature glue tomorrow and hopefully try the boolets in the Ruger #1 when it is cooler.

Nardoo

beagle
01-09-2007, 11:47 PM
It seems that some of that tape has glue that won't take the heat. I just sent some tape out to MT for a member that was having the same problem.

Don't know what to advise in the way of a high temp adhesive. I know they're out there as I've used them in the aircraft industry applications but I forgat what we used./beagle

Johnch
01-10-2007, 12:03 AM
beagle , what brand tape do you use ?
I just talked a HVAC guy out of most of a roll of Polyken 339 foil tape , for the price of a can of pop
About 2.5 to 3" wide
I have a couple of moulds I plan on trying it on

Johnch

Nardoo
01-10-2007, 12:14 AM
Hi Beagle,

I appreciate your assistance. I have just purchased some Loctite 596 Hi-Temp Red RTV Silicone. It is for making engine gaskets and I am hopeful it will do the trick. It is resistant to temperatures to 600 degrees F which seems a ways short of the 800 plus degree temperature of the molten lead in the pot.
It is the best I can do so I have my fingers crossed. Will report on its effectiveness in a day or so.
Thanks again for sharing your knowledge Beagle.

Nardoo

John Boy
01-10-2007, 01:09 AM
Nardoo, I use Nashua 324A Foil Tape ... http://covalenceadhesives.com/SearchProductsDetails.aspx?ID=80
It says the adhesive is 300F>

The mold with it that has had the most use ... has been used probably a dozen times. Strips were put on once ... still sticking and no bleeding of the adhesive on the mold. I've even cleaned the mold with the tape on and no problems

beagle
01-10-2007, 02:04 PM
John....I'll have to look at the brand. It's downstairs and the painters got me blocked. I'll look and post./beagle

beagle , what brand tape do you use ?
I just talked a HVAC guy out of most of a roll of Polyken 339 foil tape , for the price of a can of pop
About 2.5 to 3" wide
I have a couple of moulds I plan on trying it on

Johnch

beagle
01-10-2007, 02:06 PM
That might work. Supposedly the optimum mould temperature for making good bullets is 400 degrees F. I'd think if you exceeded 600, you'd be leading the sprue plate like crazy.

Let us know if it works./beagle

Hi Beagle,

I appreciate your assistance. I have just purchased some Loctite 596 Hi-Temp Red RTV Silicone. It is for making engine gaskets and I am hopeful it will do the trick. It is resistant to temperatures to 600 degrees F which seems a ways short of the 800 plus degree temperature of the molten lead in the pot.
It is the best I can do so I have my fingers crossed. Will report on its effectiveness in a day or so.
Thanks again for sharing your knowledge Beagle.

Nardoo