PDA

View Full Version : Common sense

bhn22
07-10-2011, 06:03 PM
Today, I went to the local bowling pin match. We started out around 9:00 a.m, & I was doing well. Our first relays were .22, and I finished third. I would have done better except for a minor equipment issue, I didn't test my ammo beforehand, and I had a couple FTFs because of the bullet profile, and possibly my magazines were part of the problem. I'll sort that out. I tore 'em up at 9mm, and finished second. I ran out of 147 gr pin loads and tried to finish with some hot 115 gr loads, which just laid the pins over on the table. As we changed over to 45s, I started feeling a bit ill, and ended up withdrawing from the match. I was really looking forward to the 45 & revolver rounds, because they're my favorites. As I got in the car to leave, I understood why I felt so bad. The cars thermometer registered 98 degrees! I had already been through 3 bottles of water in 2 hours, and it obviously wasn't enough. My spirit was willing, but my body begged to differ. I may be done attending matches when the temperature is predicted to be so high. I came home, showered, and took a 2 hour nap. All that's left now is a slight headache. I checked in the mirror. Nope, I'm not 25 any longer, when did that happen?

btroj
07-10-2011, 08:25 PM
Was this at WWGC?

bhn22
07-10-2011, 09:38 PM
Yup, were you there?

btroj
07-10-2011, 10:18 PM
Nope. I have shot there ALOT. Have never shot a pin match. I shot NRA high-power there for a few years. Matter of fact, I will hopefully be there Friday shooting lead.

9.3X62AL
07-10-2011, 10:33 PM
Sorry to hear about the heat and/or dehydration spoiling your fun today. Out where I live, you have to guard against such conditions pretty reigiously. If I know I'm going into the heat ahead of time, I start hydrating myself the day prior. I keep drinking water--at least a pint per hour--until I am out of the heat. I continue the water for at least an hour afterward. Avoid coffee and soft drinks, they take more water to flush from your body than they contain (diuretics).

Waterwaterwater.

Out here, 98* is almost a snow day for summer school kids. I'm sure your humidity in NE is far worse than here, but I've spent many a range day well over 100* without much fuss. You have to--or not shoot for 4 months per year.

btroj
07-11-2011, 07:39 AM
The humidity here is pretty bad in NE. 98 degrees with a humidity over 70% makes it miserable. Even if you aren't sweating you feel like you are.
I always to back to what I was told running track in HS, drink til you have to pee. I followed that when shooting NRA high-power and never had issues. I was one of the few guys pissing during the day. Odd that others didn't do that and seemed to get dehydrated......

BHN22- how many shooters do they get at the pin matches?

41 mag fan
07-11-2011, 07:53 AM
The humidity here is pretty bad in NE. 98 degrees with a humidity over 70% makes it miserable. Even if you aren't sweating you feel like you are.
I always to back to what I was told running track in HS, drink til you have to pee. I followed that when shooting NRA high-power and never had issues. I was one of the few guys pissing during the day. Odd that others didn't do that and seemed to get dehydrated......

BHN22- how many shooters do they get at the pin matches?

I tried that drink till you pee. Thats all I did for 3 hrs afterwards.

bhn22
07-11-2011, 09:55 AM
What spooked me was that everybody was sweating really badly, except for me, although I drank a 16 oz bottle of water before the 22 match, then another one before starting the 9mm match. I drank a 12 oz bottle after the 9mm match, and still felt like jello inside, and my heart was racing. It was time to stop. Two others dropped out at the same time. I still didn't need a bathroom break for a couple of hours, and that was after I had been home for a while, and made myself a rather large Mocha "Icee", with a water chaser. A mans got to know his limitations.

bhn22
07-11-2011, 10:00 AM
Nope. I have shot there ALOT. Have never shot a pin match. I shot NRA high-power there for a few years. Matter of fact, I will hopefully be there Friday shooting lead.

I'm a member. I have to drive in from Lincoln, but pretty much have that down to an art. The real bummer was that I had rifles with me to sight in after the match, and had to abandon that idea too. The suggestion was made that we shoot pins "North Omaha" (drive by) style, with the AC on in our cars. We didn't have enough space to set up 4 cars, so that idea wouldn't work.