PDA

View Full Version : Beginner: How To Set Up?

Pete E
07-10-2011, 04:43 PM
Hi Folks,

I would like to start low volume casting for my 9.3x62mm, plus things like fishing sinkers ect..

This project has been on my mind for a while and after a little research I started to accumulate what i thought I would need for the first stage, ie making ingots..

So far I have the following :

120lb of very old and very cruddy wheel weights.

Propane burner and gas bottle...

Electric hot plate.

Small dutch oven ( internally measures 7"x4" at the widest)

Lyman Thermometer

Assorted ladles, spoons ect,

Vice grips, round wooden mallet

Bunch of candles for flux.

Muffin tins for ingot moulds

Couple of steel baking trays to put stuff on and sprue and slag tins...

Pair of safety glasses and leather garden gloves..

I was about to give things a go this weekend, when I read some of the horror stories on here re visits from the tinsel fairy and decided I needed to upgrade my safety equipment with a leather welders apron and decent gauntlets..

My original intention was to set up in the back yard and give it a go, but given the vagrancies of the British weather, while I think it would work short term, a small covered work area would be better in the long run..

I don't have much space where I am and don't have a garage or anything similar.

I do have a small out-building, but I don't want to start casting in there as I also use it to hang game ect and do my butchering...

So what I thought was to set up a small ply wood lean-to casting area...Basically I am thinking what amounts to a
lean-to covered 48"x24" bench..

I would have doors on for security, but they would be open while in use.. I am thinking that if I make the roof over hang by a couple of foot, when the dooors are open I'll have a 4"x4' covered work area, with a 24" deep bench across the back...

I don't intend using this set up in the rain, but I am thinking it would give me some protection from showers/pigeon poo ect...

Is a 4'x2" bench big enough?

I want to go with this semi enclosed design as the sides will act as a wind break while still offering good ventilation...

With the doors closed, it will also be somewhere to securely store the casting equipment and the lead ect..

I want it next to the existing out building so i can get power into it for the hotplate and possibly a light..

I propose to put the burner in one corner of the bench and I anticipate needing to fireproof/insulate the walls and possibly the roof?

Although the gas bottle would be stored inside when not in use, I suspect it would be wise to put it outside when I'm actually casting, so as to to avoid any chance of molten lead pouring on it in the event of an accident.

I should add that I already reload and my main bench is set up in the house, so this little bench would be for casting only..

Does this sould like a viable set up? Any advice or tips would be appreciated...

Have I missed anything equipement wise? (I intend buying moulds once I have got through this stage)

I think also a larger pot for the initial WW melt might be advisableas to , so keep the small pot "clean" for the actual casting??

Also, I'd be very interested in seeing a few pics of peoples set ups?

Thank in advance,

Peter

07-10-2011, 05:11 PM
Pete,
Seems you've about covered the basics. Give it a go and see how it all works.

I smelt outdoors, on a 2' X 2' piece of plywood secured to saw horses, and cast in the garage on a 2' X 4' bench. I think your area will suffice.

Go to it, man.

dragonrider
07-10-2011, 06:08 PM
Hi Pete, you don't mention a lead pot so I assume you intend to use the propane burner with a pot for casting as well as smelting, that's ok, time consuming but ok to start with. Smelting down your ww's does tend to create alot of smoke and makes for a dirty pot. Most folks use a separate pot for smelting ww's to ingots and do it outside. Keep hangin out here and keep us appraised of your progress and ask any questions you have.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
07-10-2011, 07:23 PM
Pete,

Seems to me your getting there.

Remember ventilation and good light in your little casting area!

AS per casting, I have cast for many years on an old Colman white gas stove.

I tried an electric bottom pour pot and didn't like it.

#1. waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay slow when compaired to my gas stove, and I didn't have good luck with the bottom pour.

I like a cast iron pot that can hold 30 - 40 lbs of metal AND A Rowell bottom pour ladle.

That ladle is great.

Candles, I have used candles/candle wax for years with good results. CHEAP!!!!!

It smokes, but light it off and the smoke just burns up. If your melt is hot enough, it will light off by itself.

I like to team cast with a partner, and it would take at least three electric bottom pour pots to begin to keep up with my production rate, and that would be a question.

We will be running 5 or so molds at a time during these sessions, so we go through a lot of metal.

With the gas stove, it produces enough heat to allow for me to keep adding back the sprews and add ingets of fresh metal while still casting.

If I add some ingets, by the time I have fluxed the pot and cleaned the top, the metal is ready to again begin casting.

Just be safe.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Pete E
07-10-2011, 07:38 PM
Thanks for the advise and encouragement...Just had a rummage through our kitchen cupboards and found a largeish SS saucepan that I am sure the wife doesn't need.

The Stainless steel handle is welded onto the body (four small spot welds) and the base is cooper laminated for heat conduction so it should be well suited for the task..

I actually bought the pan when before we married, so technically it is mine, or at least thats the argument I will make to the Judge! :grin:

6.5 mike
07-10-2011, 08:15 PM
Good luck with that idea,lol. Welcome to the site.

Von Gruff
07-10-2011, 08:24 PM
Thanks for the advise and encouragement...Just had a rummage through our kitchen cupboards and found a largeish SS saucepan that I am sure the wife doesn't need.

The Stainless steel handle is welded onto the body (four small spot welds) and the base is cooper laminated for heat conduction so it should be well suited for the task..

I actually bought the pan when before we married, so technically it is mine, or at least thats the argument I will make to the Judge! :grin:

That is what I use for my smelting Pete. A SS saucepan about 8in dia and 4 in deep. I never try to lift it with a smelt going and can get about 25x4lb ingots from a smelt. More than enough and has been my smelt pot for many years.
I do all my smelting and casting in an area outside under a roof and it works well.

Von Gruff.