PDA

View Full Version : Front sight

dk17hmr
01-09-2007, 02:00 AM
So I have a Savage 340 30-30, I am thining about putting a peep sight on it along with a Lyman style front globe sight. The reciever peep isnt a problem. My problem is the globe sight. How would I go about mounting that on the rifle, I dont want to cut a dovetail in barrel.

Anyone know of a front ramp that is dovetailed that will fit the already drilled and tapped barrel of my 340?

Jon K
01-09-2007, 02:07 AM
Williams makes a varation of front sight ramps with mounting holes & 3/8" dovetail. You ned to figure out which ramp and globe sight to come out with the right height to match the rear sight.
Midway has a good selection & so does Brownell's.

Jon
:castmine:

versifier
01-09-2007, 05:54 AM
Are you going to use it as strictly a target rifle, or are you going to hunt with it? Globes are fine for target rifles, especially with the interchangable inserts, but you need a wide flat post to hunt with it (like a Garand) as the globe is useless for varying light (going into and out of the woods) and also useless for low light (near dawn/dusk).

dk17hmr
01-09-2007, 12:37 PM
Mostly for Target shooting and maybe small game with light cast loads, I have other "better" deer rifles, 45-70, 243, 25-06, 284, I bought the rifle last year and mounted a Weaver k3 on it and suprise suprise it shoots cast bullets pretty good.

Just an idea right now, but figured I would ask, I was also thinkin about taking the front sight right now grinding it flat and then cutting a dovetail in it.

redneckdan
01-09-2007, 01:24 PM
dovetails are not hard to do. Just use a flat file and triangular file. If there was some way you could get the front sight to me by thursday morning, I could take it back to college with me, mill it and send it back by next weekend.

versifier
01-09-2007, 02:50 PM
Even with small game, globe sights are almost impossible to track on a moving target, and for me, they take way too long to line up. That said, I used to know a guy with a beautiful single shot .308 match rifle with globe sights. He used to deer hunt with it from a tree stand and took one careful shot every year. I tried a .22 set up that way on squirrels and found it to be an exercise in frustration. No harm in trying, though, especially with your younger eyes and reflexes, it might work out well for you.

montana_charlie
01-09-2007, 03:12 PM
Globe sights are tall, compared to open blade configurations.
It might be a good idea to measure your present sight's height above the center of the bore. Then you have a reference for figuring everything else.

If you simply cut a dovetail in your current setup, you might wind up with a front sight so high it requires a pretty tall tang sight to match up.
CM

dk17hmr
01-09-2007, 03:31 PM
I hate being at College. I can't just walk to my room and open my gun lockers and pick one out to mess with it. The upside is extremely high speed internet, so I was browsing Midway and Brownell and think I have it figured out as how I am going to do it. I am going to try and fill it down flat and file in a dove tail. After I get a globe.

Versifier, like ya said my eyes are still young, I like the globe and peep set up alot for target shootign off hand, when I small game hunt it a spot and stalk type of deal, squirrel I jsut tree and the rabbit I have found once kicked up they run 15-30 yards and stand up and look at you, as long as you dont chance them right away or have dogs on them. Should be and interesting project.

piwo
01-09-2007, 04:34 PM
I hate being at College. I can't just walk to my room and open my gun lockers and pick one out to mess with it. The upside is extremely high speed internet, so I was browsing Midway and Brownell and think I have it figured out as how I am going to do it. I am going to try and fill it down flat and file in a dove tail. After I get a globe.

Versifier, like ya said my eyes are still young, I like the globe and peep set up alot for target shootign off hand, when I small game hunt it a spot and stalk type of deal, squirrel I jsut tree and the rabbit I have found once kicked up they run 15-30 yards and stand up and look at you, as long as you dont chance them right away or have dogs on them. Should be and interesting project.

A word of caution from one who's botched a few dovetails: a good triangle file, yes. One side should have its teeth ground off however. If you don't, as you try to cut the "tail" you will also be going deeper in the corner since you will be applying some "down pressure . Some places sell a dovetail file that way, I had to make mine with a grinding wheel....... :(

Pepe Ray
01-09-2007, 05:14 PM
I thought that the 340 had a split bridge rcvr. Right?
If so ,how are you gonna mount a usable receiver sight on it?
Pepe Ray

dk17hmr
01-09-2007, 05:45 PM
Pepe Ray,
You are correct the reciever is split but it has 2 screws in the last few inches that are factory drill and tapped for a peep sight, it is also drilled and tapped for a side scope mount which is what I have on it now but dont like it.

This is the peep I am thinkin about getting, Williams Fool Proof, made for the 340. Notice the 2 mounting screw.
http://www.e-gunparts.com/images/adz/874490.jpg

This is the front globe that I like, of couse I will measure for the right hieght before ordering.
http://www.midwayusa.com/mediasvr.dll/highresimage?saleitemid=504955

Piwo, thanks for the advise on the dovetail/file. I happen to have a $25 gift card for Harbor Freight I'll stop in and get some files. Then after I ruin them I can make knives.

mozark
01-09-2007, 06:04 PM
as a ruined file. Once they're too dull for metal you move them into the wood shop.

BTW, the Williams Foolproof is a nice little sight, but leaves a bit to be desired if you use it like a target sight. I.E. repeated elevaton and windage changes. With an aluminum body and steel screws they get sloppy relatively quickly.

MM

MT Gianni
01-09-2007, 09:28 PM
Doug I have a peep on my 340 and like it. Like yours mine was set up for it by Williams. Gianni.

waksupi
01-09-2007, 09:55 PM
Doug, if your files aren't name brand, expect to be making knives from them in short order. Nicholson are my favorites. And Boggs Tools can resharpen the files for VERY low prices!

Three44s
02-17-2007, 11:22 AM
I bought a couple of those globe front sights a while back with the same thing in mind.

And I just snagged some rear sight assy's from a parts vendor for HK91's.

I like the more protected military sights for banging around and I can't think of a more substantial yet flexible sight than the German drum sight on these rifles.

I thought about the MOJO sights and I especially like the micro click and have not ruled them out ........ a number of milsurp bolt guns to tinker with lately ...... but it seems like I like to make my own drum and play my own "tune" sometimes!

Oh well!

Three 44s