PDA

View Full Version : Savage 16 extractor

Shuz
07-10-2011, 10:02 AM
Yesterday the extractor broke on my SS Savage Mdl 16 in .250 Sav. Do you think Savage will accept just the bolt back for repair, or do I need to send the the whole gun back? Just curious if anyone else has experienced this kinda failure and how it was resolved.

Johnch
07-10-2011, 10:21 AM
Call them up and see if they will just send you a extractor
If not Brownels or Midway should have them

Easy to change them yourself
Here is a How to link http://www.switchbarrel.com/Extractor.htm

John

Shuz
07-10-2011, 07:32 PM
Thanks for the info John! I'll call them tomorrow and see if they will send me one as well as the ball which is prolly in orbit around my place somewhere!

Shuz
07-11-2011, 01:19 PM
FWIW-I called today and found out that Savage Arms is closed for vacation until July 18th!

Shuz
07-18-2011, 07:47 PM
I got a 1/8" steel ball at a bearing store and installed it in my Savage 16. The extractor worked for about 25 rounds before it starts acting up again by dis-engaging from the case rim before the ejector is allowed to work. It doesn't happen all the time, but I get tired of digging the spent case outta the magazine area with a pencil. Seems as tho my gun may need a stronger or bigger exrtractor. I guess I'll call Savage tomorrow, now that they're back from vacation.

Shuz
07-19-2011, 10:37 AM
Savage is sending me a new extractor. we'll see if that solves the problem.
Stay tuned in!

Shuz
08-04-2011, 10:08 AM
Savage is sending me a new extractor. we'll see if that solves the problem.
Stay tuned in!

Since installing the new extractor rec'd from Savage, I've put 50 rounds thru the gun with no extraction problems!

Ben
08-04-2011, 10:31 AM
That's Great ! !

All is well that ends well......................

Ben

Shuz
07-04-2012, 06:19 PM
Same problems is rearing it's ugly head again this year, except the extractor doesn't seem to be broken. The gun only completely ejects about 1 out of 3 rounds. The rest simply drop off the extractor and just lay there waiting to be fished out. I cleaned the bolt and used a steel dental pick to try and get the powder fouling out from under the extractor. That worked for the first 5 cases and then it started to only extract once in a while again. Any suggestions?

lmcollins
07-04-2012, 08:40 PM
I would remove the ejector, and clean everything up. Make sure there are no burres anywhere.

Maybe your ejector ing is weak. May be you can stretch it out and try it again.

Perhaps you are pulling it out of the chamber, but not pushing it out of the action.

Shuz
07-05-2012, 05:47 PM
I would remove the ejector, and clean everything up. Make sure there are no burres anywhere.

Maybe your ejector ing is weak. May be you can stretch it out and try it again.

Perhaps you are pulling it out of the chamber, but not pushing it out of the action.

Took ejector out, cleaned everything up, stretched spring a scosch, and re-assembled. First trial had a FTE, but then next 5 went ok. I guess I'll play with this a while longer until the Savage folks get back from vacation on Jul 16th.

Anybody else have this inter-mittant extraction problem with a Savage 16?

tomme boy
07-05-2012, 06:08 PM
My model 10 does the same thing. I just live with it. Sometimes it does eject one an supprises the heck out of me. Then I have to chase the piece down.

Shuz
07-21-2012, 11:24 PM
Rec'd another new extractor,spring and ball from Savage. I installed it and the first 5 attempts extracted and ejected fine............so........perhaps I'm good for another year?!