PDA

View Full Version : Star Lubr-sizer operation

heavycrimp
01-09-2007, 01:39 AM
For those who have used the Star lubrisizer, are they worth the cost difference? I have a Lyman & like it OK, but I was wondering about production difference & ease of use. Any comments pro or con are welcome as well as info on technique.

Thanks

454PB
01-09-2007, 01:54 AM
Yes, they are worth the money. They speed up production considerably and are well made. Die changes are as fast as the Lyman, although different in every way. The dies are more expensive, but no nose punch is required. Each die size has some flexibility in that a slightly smaller base punch can be used. Star dies are harder and polished to a higher degree than Lyman or RCBS dies.

All that said, I still use my two Lyman sizers for some applications. It's handy to have three sizers with different sizes available. The ones I use the least are in the Lymans, the most used are in the Star.

David R
01-09-2007, 07:14 AM
I bought a Star last year, you will never look back. I kept the Lyman I bought 20 years ago so I don't have to buy the dies I don't use much like .225.

Like anything else it has a learning curve.

It can tripple production.

David

EDK
01-10-2007, 05:03 AM
Mid 80s and early 90s I used a Star and a Hensley & Gibbs 6 cavity mould for 45 ACP and a Dillon Square Deal. Now it's CAS 44 Special with a 4 cavity Lyman and a Dillon 550 and the Star is still cooking! I need to get a 6 cavity iron mould like the H&G for the 44.
Any high volume pistol shooter who casts and reloads needs a star and the progressive press of choice or they're wasting a lot of time. My boolits are in 3 pound coffee cans--my minimum casting session for pistol.

:castmine:

Marshal Kane
01-11-2007, 12:52 AM
Ditto what the other guys said. The Star lubricater/sizer is one fine tool. Built to commercial quality, it is the fastest hand operated lubricater/sizer on the market. You won't go wrong if you are planning to buy one of these.

heavycrimp
01-13-2007, 09:17 AM
Thanks to all for the feedback. This will be my next reloading purchase.

bobthenailer
01-13-2007, 10:11 AM
ditto - i have 2 and been useing them for 25 years . bob

rbwillnj
01-13-2007, 11:24 AM
Last night I lubed and sized 1500 45 Round Nose in under two hours with my Star. Basically as fast as I could drop them in and pull the handle.

yammerschooner
01-13-2007, 01:10 PM
When you purchase, plan in advance. I ordered one on 12/26/06 and as of 1/13 it still hasn't shown up. I called, a couple of days ago to find out what was up. It seems they are out of some parts and it hadn't shipped yet.

The lady on the phone was nice; however, the wait is seeming longer than it really is because I am anxious to get to town on some of these bullets.

Springfield
01-13-2007, 02:44 PM
I had a Lyman 45 and then an RCBS. I now just have 3 Stars. Nuf said.

Sundogg1911
01-15-2007, 11:58 AM
I'm also planning a switch from my Lyman 450. I will keep it around for some of my oddball stuff that I rarely cast, but as far as production, the Star seems to be the way to go.

ELFEGO BACA
01-27-2007, 03:58 AM
I now have two Stars one for smokeless lube and one for black powder lube.

sagamore-one
02-13-2007, 07:45 PM
My bench has 3 star sizers, (one is a tall boy),an Rcbs lube a matic, a Lachmiller, and a Redding /Saeco. Each has it's own advantages. For small quantities I use the Rcbs or Lachmiller. For high precision the Rcbs or Saeco/ Redding. For volume I use the Stars. I consumed 2700 lbs of alloy in 2006. I may have an idea of how it's done.
Dennis

cbrick
02-16-2007, 04:53 PM
My bench has 3 star sizers, (one is a tall boy),an Rcbs lube a matic, a Lachmiller, and a Redding /Saeco. Each has it's own advantages. For small quantities I use the Rcbs or Lachmiller. For high precision the Rcbs or Saeco/ Redding. For volume I use the Stars. I consumed 2700 lbs of alloy in 2006. I may have an idea of how it's done.
Dennis

That's interesting. Several years ago I took several bullets to a friend's machine shop and examined them with a comparator (its a big microscope, the part sits on a grid of .001" that looks like its a 1/2 inch). Any discrepancy in the part is extremely easy to see. Several of the bullets were sized in a SAECO and the rest were sized in a Star. Bullet concentricity was far better on every single bullet that was Star sized. The difference was remarkable.

When Redding bought SAECO I bought my Star used from the owner of SAECO (it was his personal machine that he used in the SAECO shop). Kinda makes a guy wonder . . . Why was the owner of SAECO using a Star Lubrisizer and not one of his own? hhmmm . . . .

Rick