PDA

View Full Version : Press fit sight base for muzzle end of barrel?????

JIMinPHX
07-10-2011, 03:31 AM
I'm looking to mount a new sight on the front of a rifle barrel. I'd like to use a dovetail mount sight. The barrel is kind of thin. I was kind of thinking that it might be a good idea to use a wrap-around press-fit sight base that sort of looks like the ones on the old Mausers (shown below). The base presses, or maybe solders on the muzzle, then a sight fits into a dovetail on top. I could make something like this,but if I can just buy one at a reasonable price, I'd rather do that. I tried looking for them on the Midway website, the Brownells website & a few others. I found nothing. Maybe I was just not searching for the right name.

If anybody can point me to a place that sells these things, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Jim

elk hunter
07-10-2011, 09:34 AM
I've not seen a "press on" front sight base like you describe for sale. The ones that are on some Mausers use a very small dovetail slot for the front sight. The Springfield 03 used a similar front sight base. Perhaps you could modify a military sight base for your project.

Doc Highwall
07-10-2011, 12:03 PM
Measure the end of your barrel and then look in the Brownells catalog.

legi0n
07-10-2011, 01:50 PM
Why not just solder the front sight base?

JIMinPHX
07-10-2011, 02:40 PM
I don't have a paper copy of the Brownell's catalog to look in. I tried searching their website, but didn't find anything. If someone can give me a brand name or part number to look up, that would be very helpful.

I was hoping to avoid soldering the front base because I have a barrel with a nice finish & I am more confident in my abilities to machine an accurate diameter on the muzzle than to solder in the muzzle area without causing a blemish.

Doc Highwall
07-10-2011, 02:46 PM
Try these at Midway by NECG. You could blue it and pin it onto your barrel.

http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/BrowseProducts.aspx?pageNum=2&tabId=8&categoryId=15956&categoryString=649***20765***703***15959***

JIMinPHX
07-10-2011, 08:13 PM
Thanks Doc. I had searched for sight bases, not sight ramps. I didn't have the correct magic word in the search window. That's why I didn't find them.

leftiye
07-12-2011, 01:04 AM
You could call Brownell's and talk to their tech dept.. They are the ones who will help you find it if you don't have a catalog.. 1-800-741-0015

rbertalotto
07-12-2011, 07:27 AM
If the fit is very fine, you can superglue these sight ramps on. Airplanes are being glued together as are Berreta shotguns and Ferraris. There are "Super Glues" that can hold anything to anything under just about any heat.

I agree, soldering on a finished barrel is difficult at best. Turn down a small end of the muzzle for a tight fit and glue it on...........

nanuk
07-15-2011, 06:47 AM
Jim are you talking about something like This? (http://cgi.ebay.com/Mauser-Front-Site-Sight-Ring-/380341922114?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item588e252942)

David2011
07-15-2011, 02:13 PM
Mauser soldered them on with soft solder and they've held for 100 years. Heat it up and tap it on to set the taper, pull it off, flux and a little solder. Be sure to clean the bluing off where you want the solder to stick. You can also get a taller than stock sight blade from Brownell's if it shoots too high.

David