PDA

View Full Version : Max loads for Marlin 1894 built 1900

philinchaos
07-10-2011, 03:30 AM
Hi folks,
Just registered tonight and am making my first post. I have been free loading on your sight for quite some time and decided it was time I registered. I have gained a lot of knowledge from your fine sight and I thank you all for that. My father-in-law had a Marlin Model 1894 serial# 201952. I have a substancial gun collection and have never been that into lever actions. I always loved the feel and balance, you can't beat the feel they have carrying through the brush, but I always loved my pre-64 Model 70 in .270. In my never humble opinion the finest deer and elk rifle in existance. When I picked up that old Marlin I could not believe the feel of it. It looks like a 10 year old rifle that had been babied. When I ran the serial # and found out it was made in 1900 I could not beleive it. After cleaning it with Hoppes # 9 and shooters choice lead remover I checked out the barrel with a 10 power bore and I don't think it had a box of shells through it. It was a mirror from chamber to muzzle. He had surgery and came and stayed at our place. He lives in the moutains of Oregon and is 86 so went up to his place and brought back his sustancial gun collection that had been very neglected. I went through all of his guns and gave them all a good cleaning and bought him a gun safe. When he had healed up and was heading home he gave me the 94. Anything I shoot, I load. I'm having a problem with how hot to load this gun. I could not believe the factory fodder is a 90 or 100gr flat point lead round nose at a blistering 1200 FPS. I know steel back then was not what it is today. I have been loading 100gr Hornady hollow points with 7gr. of blue dot. I know this gun can take a lot more than that. I want to start shooting 115gr cast bullets and want a lot more umph, but I also don't want to hurt the gun. It has a round 23" barrel that reads-Marlin Fire arms co. New Haven CT USA
Pat'd Oct 11 1887 APRIL 2 1889 Aug 1 1893 32-20 full length magazine. On top of the reciever are in script Marlin Safety on the tang it says Model 1894. It has a very cresent but steel but pad, the receiver is color case hardened with 80% color case hardening, 90% deep blue on the but plate and WAS 95% bluing of the barrel and full length magazine until my wife's cat pissed on the barrel while it was on the floor in the case, I did'nt notice and noramaly don't leave gun's in the case for more than a couple of days, especialy when the heat and humidity change a lot. I opened the case and was knocked over by the smell and my mint 94 now has 6 pee size spots of bare metal. Guess what my next target was going to be if my wife had not intervened. The only other thing on the gun is the serial # 201952. After that long drawn out story my question is, how hot can I load it. Functionaly it is as new. I want to load 115gr cast lead bullets. Whats a good starting point. I know it is from the black powder days but the bore shows know hint what so ever of even being dark and I would think buy 1900 smokeless was available. Again the gun is as new except at the high points and cat piss which would not effect the strength of the average. I found a load of 17.5 gr of AA2015 that push's a 110gr cast at 1700fps that only generates 22,000 cup. Would this load be safe in my gun.
Thanks, you guy's are the best,
Philinchaos

hicard
07-10-2011, 08:43 AM
My load sources say that 15.4 grs of AA2015 is about the highest I would go. Velocity would be 1614 fps and pressure (psi) would be 22416, Your load is way into the red zone with 1969fps and 44372 psi.

zuke
07-10-2011, 09:04 AM
Go with Trail boss,low pressure and a pound will last you forever.

LVRFAN
07-10-2011, 01:19 PM
I use 10.5 grains of IMR-4198 or 12.0 grains of RL-7 with a 120 gr. lead bullet. Both are pretty low pressure and plenty fast enough for what the 32-20 is mean't to do. If you HAVE to have hotter loads you ought to buy a new new rifle.

philinchaos
07-10-2011, 02:15 PM
Thank you all for your input. So basically if I keep pressure in the 22,000 cup range I'll be all right?
Thanks again,
Philinchaos

philinchaos
08-27-2011, 02:49 AM
HiCard,
I can't thank you enough for your input, it brought me back to rule #1 in hand loading. Only load from a posted load from a trusted source and ALWAYS work your way up to max. I don't remember where I got that load load of 17.5gr of AA2015 =1700fps and 22,000cup, but as I said I would never load up something I read as a starting loading. I've been getting 1 1/4 100 yard groups with 110 gr lazer cast over 8gr of blue Dot. I don't have a crony can anybody guest-a-mate velocity?
Again,
Thanks for you help, you guys are the greatest,
philinchaos

missionary5155
08-28-2011, 05:45 AM
Good morning & Welcome about Philincaos.
First thing you want to do is measure the throat area diameter. Your boolit must fill the throat diameter if you want best accuracy using smokeless. Blowby with a lead boolit is going to be the basis for a leason in lead minning.
If you plan on popping critters I found soft boolits to have a much better "thump" on critters. Smack a ground hog or coydog in the shoulder or the head with a 50/50 bullet moving at 1400 fps and they do not move very far. If needed you can push these 50/50īs faster.
Mike in Peru