PDA

View Full Version : Need help picking out bullet for 380.

ButterNutZ
07-09-2011, 10:21 PM
I swore that I’ll never load this little cartridge. Why load and cast when I only have lcp and I hardly ever shot it? If I do practice, I hate picking up brass after this little brass launcher.
Well after today’s trip to shooting range, I got the bug to shot more with lcp. Got the bug so bad that I'm ordering Bersa 380 to keep lcp company.
mehhh.... gona have to start loading and casting 380 to keep the cost of fun down.
Was hoping someone here casts 380 and would enlighten me to what bullet would be a good choice for plinking at the range and also CC in lcp and bersa? I would really like the heaviest boolit I can get (124gr?) that feeds reliably in my lcp because that's my main carry weapon.
Thanks
Butter.

BCall
07-09-2011, 10:40 PM
http://www.ranchdogoutdoors.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_6_24&products_id=20

Not as heavy as you want, but in my opinion it is the best one available. Anything heavier, make sure it doesn't make the oal too long for the mag.

Fly-guy
07-10-2011, 09:20 AM
I shoot a Lee 124 gr RN out of my LCP (loaded with Bullseye) without any problems. I did try a Lee 120TC but had problems with it so I went back to the RN. Good luck with the little brass slinger!

[smilie=f: guy

fecmech
07-10-2011, 09:57 AM
I have shot a lot of the Lee 120 TC out of my Keltec, about 400 rds to date. I'm using 2.1/ Bullseye and it's a pleasant load to practice and plink with. If I were to buy a mold specifically for the .380 it would be similar to the RD design, 100 grs and FP. As for now I'll just keep using the Lee 120 and get some jacketed 100 gr TC's for carry.

Shuz
07-10-2011, 10:18 AM
I have the Lee 356-102-1R that works real well in my Ruger LCP. One advantage with this mould is that it can be had in my area for $18.99!

XWrench3
07-10-2011, 10:23 AM
the problem i have run into with heavy bullets in a 380 is the brass. much of it has the wall taper quite rapidly, and when seating a heavy bullet (or boolit) it bulges the case at the base of the boolit to the point where it will not chamber. winchester and remington are the best cases (least amount of taper), but you will still run into this depending on the boolit you choose. if you can find one that has a beveled base, that will help. on cast boolits, if you modify a case chamfering tool by grinding the center post out of it, you can use it to make a bevel base boolit out of most any flat base boolit. but do not try that with a copper plated or a jacketed bullet! besides being very hard to do, it could be very dangerous. anyway, i use a 6 cavity lee 105g 38 special swc mold for both my lcp and kel tec p3at. they drop out of mine using w.w. alloy at 108 grains. and fit in all of my cases. i do not crimp them in place, just make sure to seat them to your chamber(s) so they feed properly. i just found the shortest one and use that as my seating depth. dont forget a sizer die,as the .359 or .360 will be to large for the 380. i size mine @ .356" with a lee sizer, and they work wonderfully. just a side note, firing these into a stack of dry magazines, the lee swc bullet penetrates further than either a 95g copper hollow point or a 100g fmj bullet will.

fecmech
07-10-2011, 03:36 PM
just a side note, firing these into a stack of dry magazines, the lee swc bullet penetrates further than either a 95g copper hollow point or a 100g fmj bullet will.

I'm glad to hear that, I was thinking of ordering that mold for all around use ,plinking and carry. With those little pop guns I want all the penetration I can get!

JIMinPHX
07-10-2011, 03:54 PM
I've only loaded the 102gr Lee rn & the 105gr Lee swc in the .380. I use the RN more than 90% of the time. Loaded over 2.7 grains of Bullseye, it makes one of those little LCP sized guns a lot more manageable to shoot. For actual comfort, you might want to go down a notch or two from there. I've gone as hot as 3-grains in a PPK sized gun with good results.

It would scare me to load anything heavier or hotter in a gun the size of an LCP. If I wanted more firepower, I would go to a larger gun, like a J-frame .357 or any of the sub compact 9x19 pistols that have become abundant. I don't think that it is prudent to hot rod the little mouse guns.

ButterNutZ
07-10-2011, 06:31 PM
I'll probably go with lee's 105 gr swc. Not really after expansion in this little cartridge. It needs penetration more then expansion.
Reason I want heaviest bullet I can get is because they penetrate allot better. Not really looking to hot rod the thing, just regular loads with heaviest bullet. Lee lists 380 loading data up to 125gr. Figured if there is a 125 gr WFN out there, it would make grate little concealed carry round with planty of punch/bark to get me home to my rifle.
Ranchdong's 100gr FN looks great, I might give it a go later on.
I'll make a post later about how they perform for me in my guns. I'll do some 7, 15 and 25 yard shooting. Also will get some phone books soaked up and see how they compare with hornady's Critical Defense currently carried in my lcp.

casterofboolits
07-10-2011, 07:02 PM
When I had my 380's, I loaded a H&G #275 09-125-SWCBB over a charge of BlueDot. It was a penetrating son of a gun. Three rounds with in an inch ate thru an old 4"X4" oak beam taken from a barn that was over a 100 years old. I stopped at three rounds as I saw splinters blow out the back. Never expected that.

The boolits penetrated over an inch into a similar beam three feet behind the first.

These days, I would probably try the Lee 105 SWC.